Ethiopian wolves discussion.

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Have you heard of these animals before?

Never in my life
No votes
A little bit
8%
Sort of
17%
Yeah
75%
I know everything about them!
No votes

Total votes: 12

Blizzard_Wolf
Pup
Pup

Re: Ethiopian wolves discussion.

Post by Blizzard_Wolf » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:29 pm

La Striata wrote:
Blizzard_Wolf wrote: Interesting. Do you know who wrote that documentary? It would be interesting to research the person that wrote that.
What do you mean? The behaviour info, or the ancient text? I didn't get them from documentaries. The behaviour info comes from this online book here:

http://www.ethiopianwolf.org/SPEWC.pdf

The ancient text is from the Aberdeen Bestiary, which you can read here:

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/bestiary/translat/1r.hti
Sorry about the confusion :oops:

I was wondering about the ancient text. Accidentally called it documentary. Where did he get the, "They give birth to wolves with manes?
Darkness breaks,
Moon awakes,
Night now brings the stars it makes.

Moon beams fall,
Light up all,
From silvery woods there comes a call.

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Post by La Striata » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:06 pm

Blizzard_Wolf wrote: Sorry about the confusion :oops:

I was wondering about the ancient text. Accidentally called it documentary. Where did he get the, "They give birth to wolves with manes?
I don't know. It's from the 13th century.
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

Blizzard_Wolf
Pup
Pup

Post by Blizzard_Wolf » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:10 pm

Perhaps the Ethiopian wolf has a connection with the Maned Wolf? I know that is a very, Widespread Idea. But that could be where he got the "Maned Wolf" Idea.
Darkness breaks,
Moon awakes,

Moon beams fall,
Light up all,

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Post by La Striata » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:21 pm

Blizzard_Wolf wrote:Perhaps the Ethiopian wolf has a connection with the Maned Wolf? I know that is a very, Widespread Idea. But that could be where he got the "Maned Wolf" Idea.
Impossible. First off, maned wolves aren't even remotely related to Ethiopian wolves. They are actually closer to South American foxes. Secondly, they live in South America, which was discovered by Europeans 200 years after the Aberdeen Bestiary was written.

The whole mane part is probably just exaggeration. Medieval scholars believed things like hyenas imitating human voices, and tigers being unable to move upon seeing their reflections.
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

Blizzard_Wolf
Pup
Pup

Post by Blizzard_Wolf » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:24 pm

La Striata wrote:
Blizzard_Wolf wrote:Perhaps the Ethiopian wolf has a connection with the Maned Wolf? I know that is a very, Widespread Idea. But that could be where he got the "Maned Wolf" Idea.
Impossible. First off, maned wolves aren't even remotely related to Ethiopian wolves. They are actually closer to South American foxes. Secondly, they live in South America, which was discovered by Europeans 200 years after the Aberdeen Bestiary was written.

The whole mane part is probably just exaggeration. Medieval scholars believed things like hyenas imitating human voices, and tigers being unable to move upon seeing their reflections.
Alrught. As I had said, That is a very widespread Idea and was very highly unlikely. I just thought of that ._.
Darkness breaks,
Moon awakes,

Moon beams fall,
Light up all,

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Post by La Striata » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:55 am

We are so happy to announce that the culmination of the Ethiopian Wolf Project is at hand… our book, Hope at the Edge of Extinction, has been sent off to prepress! A lot of hard work has gone into making this a beautiful book that everyone will want to grace their coffee table. After we’ve approved the final proofs we’ll begin to take pre-orders so be certain you check back in the next few weeks – everyone who pre-orders will be sure to get an extra treat!

http://www.ethiopianwolfproject.com/201 ... ming-soon/
I hope this book isn't just a decorative photo album. I'd prefer a reference book.

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:30 am

• Personally, I would too at this point in my life. But I can see how picture books can be useful for piquing the general public's interest towards more factual readings. When I was a child, sticker books with simple descriptions played a role in my interest in species diversity.

Lovely cover photo too. It points out the narrow muzzle and unique teeth of the Ethiopian wolf.

TenderPaws
Pup
Pup

Post by TenderPaws » Mon May 20, 2013 11:52 am

Those wolves sure look a lot like ginger coyotes :3
They're sweet but honestly they really don't look like wolves... not the common type of wolf I'm used to anyways
..... (\_/)
(... {.' '-} <( woof~! )
.)).. /';.\
((_( )'_\\,,
"I closed my mouth and spoke to you in a hundred silent ways."

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Mon May 20, 2013 12:54 pm

TenderPaws wrote:Those wolves sure look a lot like ginger coyotes :3
They're sweet but honestly they really don't look like wolves... not the common type of wolf I'm used to anyways
  • Indeed, Ethiopian wolves are not descendants or a subspecies of the gray wolf, which is probably the species you are thinking of!

TenderPaws
Pup
Pup

Post by TenderPaws » Mon May 20, 2013 1:01 pm

Tonbei wrote:
  • Indeed, Ethiopian wolves are not descendants or a subspecies of the gray wolf, which is probably the species you are thinking of!
Why would they be called wolves then? xD I don't know, science confuses me.
And obviously I am! When someone mentions a "wolf" you actually think of the normal type of wolf everyone knows of. At least most people do. It's just instinctive I guess :p
..... (\_/)
(... {.' '-} <( woof~! )
.)).. /';.\
((_( )'_\\,,

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Mon May 20, 2013 1:09 pm

• Science is always being updated with new discoveries, but old names sometimes remain unchanged :P . Yeah, gray wolves are much more widespread!

TenderPaws
Pup
Pup

Post by TenderPaws » Mon May 20, 2013 1:15 pm

Tonbei wrote:
  • Science is always being updated with new discoveries, but old names sometimes remain unchanged :P . Yeah, gray wolves are much more widespread!
Indeed it is. :3
It's the common wolf I guess we could call it.
..... (\_/)
(... {.' '-} <( woof~! )
.)).. /';.\
((_( )'_\\,,

Legendary-Taco
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Legendary-Taco » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:05 pm

TenderPaws wrote:
Tonbei wrote:
Why would they be called wolves then? xD I don't know, science confuses me.
And obviously I am! When someone mentions a "wolf" you actually think of the normal type of wolf everyone knows of. At least most people do. It's just instinctive I guess :p
I suppose it's like maned wolves in this case. Not quite wolves but that's the name x3

Thanks for posting this discussion thread, Blizzard_Wolf. Ethiopian wolves are beautiful creatures and I am truly fascinated in how their behavior differs from wolves/other canines (for example, how they hunt alone & anyone in the pack can breed, as you mentioned).
___________╔══════════╗

_________im pretty meme savvy...
______ Ask me anything chump xox
________(avatar by me boyo xox~)

___________╚══════════╝

WolfHyrrokkin
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by WolfHyrrokkin » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:02 pm

La Striata wrote:Unless you're willing to classify coyotes and golden jackals as wolves, then Ethiopian wolves are not wolves.

Look at this graph on canid genetics: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v4 ... -f10.2.jpg

As you can see, the coyote and golden jackal are just behind the wolf (meaning they are closely related), while the Ethiopian wolf is between them and African wild dogs/dholes.
You are not exactly right about the genetic distance between wolves, jackals, and coyotes. As you can see on your own chart, coyotes and wolves are more closely related to each other than wolves and jackals are.

There is a debate in science over whether a different species is defined as whether the animals CAN'T mate with another and produce offspring or DOESN'T mate with another and produce offspring, since a species is defined as the largest group capable of interbreeding and producing offspring. So for example, wolves and coyotes can produce offspring. Some scientists would say, therefore, that wolves and coyotes (and dogs) are actually all variations on the same species.

However, behaviorally, it's very rare for these species to interbreed. Another example would be ligers. Lions and tigers are genetically similar enough that they can breed and produce offspring. But even rarer than wolves, dogs, and coyotes, this probably NEVER happens in the wild. So other scientists would say these are species separated by their behavior, morphology, etc.

Since Ethiopian wolves, Gray wolves, and dogs can all mate with each other, they could be classified as the same species (and they are, by geneticists.) Jackals, however, can't mate at all with any of these creatures, and are decidedly a different species.

Just wanted to clear that up :)

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Post by La Striata » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:11 am

WolfHyrrokkin wrote:You are not exactly right about the genetic distance between wolves, jackals, and coyotes. As you can see on your own chart, coyotes and wolves are more closely related to each other than wolves and jackals are.
Yes...?
WolfHyrrokkin wrote:Since Ethiopian wolves, Gray wolves, and dogs can all mate with each other, they could be classified as the same species (and they are, by geneticists.) Jackals, however, can't mate at all with any of these creatures, and are decidedly a different species.
Coyotes have bred extensively with gray wolves. Look up "eastern coyotes". Furthermore, wolves HAVE interbred with golden jackals in Senegal and Bulgaria.