Ethiopian wolves discussion.

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Have you heard of these animals before?

Never in my life
No votes
A little bit
8%
Sort of
17%
Yeah
75%
I know everything about them!
No votes

Total votes: 12

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Ethiopian wolves discussion.

Post by La Striata » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:27 pm

Blizzard_Wolf wrote:
They are wolves because I have watched many Tv shows on these animals very recently and it said they was wolves.
When were these tv shows broadcast? Before 2005, when it was shown they are not? If yes, then they are simply outdated. If not, then you've simply been misled.
Blizzard_Wolf wrote:Just because they have different ways, that doesn't make them not wolves.
It's not just their ways, it's their DNA that shows they're not wolves (unless by "wolf" you mean also coyotes and golden jackals).
Blizzard_Wolf wrote:Here's an exact sentence from wikipedia that states they are wolves.
Initial molecular evidence suggested that the Ethiopian wolf is a descendant of the gray wolf. More recent evidence suggests that this is not the case; although the Ethiopian wolf is closely related to other wolves.
Coyotes and golden jackals are also closely related to the wolf. In fact they are even more closely related to the grey wolf than the Ethiopian wolf is. So why do you think coyotes and golden jackals are not wolves?
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

Blizzard_Wolf
Pup
Pup

Post by Blizzard_Wolf » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:53 pm

I honestly do not know why they are classified as not wolves but Ethiopians are classified under Wolf in most catergories. The tv show I saw was made a few months ago. I still believe the Ethiopian wolf is a wolf, Because I have read that they have a genetic link with a Gray Wolf. Shown on this site: http://animal.discovery.com/animals/lif ... -wolf.html Is where I got a lot of my information.
Darkness breaks,
Moon awakes,
Night now brings the stars it makes.

Moon beams fall,
Light up all,
From silvery woods there comes a call.

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Post by La Striata » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:56 pm

Blizzard_Wolf wrote:I honestly do not know why they are classified as not wolves but Ethiopians are classified under Wolf in most catergories. The tv show I saw was made a few months ago. I still believe the Ethiopian wolf is a wolf, Because I have read that they have a genetic link with a Gray Wolf. Shown on this site: http://animal.discovery.com/animals/lif ... -wolf.html Is where I got a lot of my information.
In which case, you should view coyotes and golden jackals as wolves also. In fact, you should see them as more "wolf-like" than the Ethiopian wolf is because their "genetic link" is closer to the grey wolf than the Ethiopian wolf's. The fact of the matter is that genetics don't lie.
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

Blizzard_Wolf
Pup
Pup

Post by Blizzard_Wolf » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:03 pm

I still think they are wolves, because the way I have learned about them and how I have read about them they are classified under Wolf.
Darkness breaks,
Moon awakes,

Moon beams fall,
Light up all,

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Post by La Striata » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:12 pm

Blizzard_Wolf wrote:I still think they are wolves, because the way I have learned about them and how I have read about them they are classified under Wolf.
No problem, though by extension you should also include the coyote and golden jackal under the wolf classification.

Blizzard_Wolf
Pup
Pup

Post by Blizzard_Wolf » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:29 pm

Alright. I knew they was under the Canine family. :lol:
Darkness breaks,
Moon awakes,

Moon beams fall,
Light up all,

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:30 pm

Just out of curiosity, Blizzard_Wolf, if you feel so strongly about Ethiopian Wolves being "true" wolves, why'd you put this thread in Other Canids?
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

Blizzard_Wolf
Pup
Pup

Post by Blizzard_Wolf » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:35 pm

As I do know people do think that they are Jackals or Coyotes, I put it under here because I thought I would be listing it under the wrong topic. I could probably put it under either one.
Darkness breaks,
Moon awakes,

Moon beams fall,
Light up all,

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:41 pm

Alright. Was just curious since, like I said, you seem to feel very strongly about them being wolves.
It's too bad that debates about whether or not Ethiopian Wolves are wolves or not never seem to come to an agreement. Or, at least, if one has, it's too bad that I can't find it. Would be much easier to decide where this thread goes.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

Blizzard_Wolf
Pup
Pup

Post by Blizzard_Wolf » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:44 pm

Yes it would. I find these wolves/jackals/coyotes very interesting. But people seem to not know much about them.
Darkness breaks,
Moon awakes,

Moon beams fall,
Light up all,

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Post by La Striata » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:45 pm

Well, I guess it is up to you then to decide for yourself whether or not it's a wolf in light of the evidence.

On another topic, what I find interesting about the kebero (the indigenous name of the Ethiopian wolf) is that it was apparently doing better back when Ethiopia was under the communist "Derg" regime. I just find it slightly ironic.

Blizzard_Wolf
Pup
Pup

Post by Blizzard_Wolf » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:56 pm

Yeah.. Seems Ironic to me.
Darkness breaks,
Moon awakes,

Moon beams fall,
Light up all,

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Post by La Striata » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:25 am

I've been doing some research on the kebero, and have come up with some interesting trivia:

Apparently, keberos only use dens to give birth and nurse their pups. They never sleep in them as most canids do, preferring to rest in open areas or under rocks or trees. Also, their group living seems to be entirely based on raising families rather than procuring food, as they'd much rather hunt prey alone.

I've also managed to track down the first ever written record of them, which was written in the 13th century and translated from Latin:

Ethiopia produces wolves with manes, so diversely coloured, men say, that no hue is lacking. A characteristic of Ethiopian wolves is that they leap so high that they seem to have wings, going further than they would by running. They never attack men, however. In winter, they grow long hair; in summer, they are hairless. The Ethiopians call them theas.

Blizzard_Wolf
Pup
Pup

Post by Blizzard_Wolf » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:26 am

La Striata wrote:I've been doing some research on the kebero, and have come up with some interesting trivia:

Apparently, keberos only use dens to give birth and nurse their pups. They never sleep in them as most canids do, preferring to rest in open areas or under rocks or trees. Also, their group living seems to be entirely based on raising families rather than procuring food, as they'd much rather hunt prey alone.

I've also managed to track down the first ever written record of them, which was written in the 13th century and translated from Latin:

Ethiopia produces wolves with manes, so diversely coloured, men say, that no hue is lacking. A characteristic of Ethiopian wolves is that they leap so high that they seem to have wings, going further than they would by running. They never attack men, however. In winter, they grow long hair; in summer, they are hairless. The Ethiopians call them theas.
Interesting. Do you know who wrote that documentary? It would be interesting to research the person that wrote that.
Darkness breaks,
Moon awakes,

Moon beams fall,
Light up all,

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Post by La Striata » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:07 pm

Blizzard_Wolf wrote: Interesting. Do you know who wrote that documentary? It would be interesting to research the person that wrote that.
What do you mean? The behaviour info, or the ancient text? I didn't get them from documentaries. The behaviour info comes from this online book here:

http://www.ethiopianwolf.org/SPEWC.pdf

The ancient text is from the Aberdeen Bestiary, which you can read here:

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/bestiary/translat/1r.hti