Hints in determining skulls

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Hints in determining skulls

Post by pawnee » Tue May 13, 2008 8:59 pm

Exactly how do you tell the acute diffrence between a coyote, wolf and dog skull? other than size....or even if its a wolf/coyote hybrid for that matter?
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

SilverGenko
Pup
Pup

Re: Hints in determining skulls

Post by SilverGenko » Fri May 16, 2008 5:19 pm

I can't say for sure, but if I had to guess, I would look at the length of the snouts, steepness of the forehead, and size of the skull. A wolf would have a bigger brain than a dog or coyote, and a coyote would have a longer, thinner snout. With dogs it can vary, but they generally have shorter snouts and steeper foreheads.

Also, I might want to look into the number of teeth each species is supposed to have.
Getting ready for college can be a time consuming thing. Computer games, as much as I love them, will have to come last. =(

moonlight_tiger
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: I am watching you O.O, i know you are looking at this. Why are you looking at this?

Post by moonlight_tiger » Tue May 20, 2008 5:21 am

i don't know for sure but i have found a fox skull before, i knew it was a fox skull becasue there were foxes in my area and it had canines.
{::}

Fenris
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Fenris » Tue May 20, 2008 8:17 am

A normal dog will have a total of 42 teeth. Wolves have the same amount too. And guess what Coyotes too have 42 teeth. Since they are all related. And all have the same uses as eachother. So they have no reason to have different amount of teeth.

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Tue May 20, 2008 8:27 pm

so if you live in an area where wolf and coyotes breed together, I wonder if you`d be able too tell a diffrence in the skull?
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain