"Eastern Coy-Wolves" | General Discussion

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

-Sheeba
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Re: "Eastern Coy-Wolves"

Post by -Sheeba » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:35 pm

Another interesting article, reflects on what I've said about the coywolves here attacking humans. They do indeed try to keep their distance from people, but there have been a few attacks reported, and they don't seem to fear communities in general. But as the article stated, they are indeed wild animals, and like any other animal can attack in provoked. Thanks again for sharing, BlackWarrior!
This account is no longer active.

New account: Sheeba Wolf

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:31 am

-Sheeba wrote:Another interesting article, reflects on what I've said about the coywolves here attacking humans. They do indeed try to keep their distance from people, but there have been a few attacks reported, and they don't seem to fear communities in general. But as the article stated, they are indeed wild animals, and like any other animal can attack in provoked. Thanks again for sharing, BlackWarrior!
No problem Sheeba! I'm finding these animals really cool to learn about and its always a treat to come on and be taught more information by our "expert" over here! ^
but what you and the article say is true. Any wild animal can attack if provoked but that's just why you need to take precautions either way.
Thanks for sharing MoRe with us Sheeba!
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

-Sheeba
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Post by -Sheeba » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:43 pm

Haha, I find these coywolves quite interesting myself, so it's my pleasure! Love to share my personal knowledge about them ^_^

icegrowl
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by icegrowl » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:00 pm

this is a very interesting artical thanks for sharing it :)
(THIS GOES TO MY JACOB)
your helping me move on
your strong and brave
you helping me get a little bit stronger everyday
thank you so much <3

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:11 pm

-Sheeba wrote:Haha, I find these coywolves quite interesting myself, so it's my pleasure! Love to share my personal knowledge about them ^_^
Well if you have any information you haven't shared yet, or you find out in the future, don't hold back on posting it! ^^ I look forward to hearing more.

And glad you liked it icegrowl.
=]

HappygirlXD
Yearling
Yearling

Post by HappygirlXD » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:19 am

I actually hadn't heard of coy-wolves before this. :3 Thanks for sharing. ^^

-Sheeba
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Post by -Sheeba » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:11 pm

I do have a picture to share, actually :)

http://rstorage.filemobile.com/storage/4927411/1085

This wasn't taken by myself, so I don't take any credit for it, but it shows a young coywolf that was spotted last summer on the highway where I live. It was a slightly strange case, because many people saw it on the same day, since it appeared to have stayed in the same area on the highway for the entire day. It wasn't afraid of the vehicles of people who stopped to have a closer look, and as shown in the picture, this person was able to get very close to the young animal to take the picture. Whether it was a pup who was separated from it's mother, or if it had some kind of sickness, it provided an interesting view for travelers.

Other than this, I don't believe I have anything else to report on the coywolf. I've mentioned the issue with them harming the caribou numbers here, as well as pets and a few cases of people, the case with my grandfather, the way they hunt and their appearance, so I'm not sure what else to say about them right now. Though if you guys have any questions, I can try to answer them from what I know ^_^ I'm glad you enjoy my story/information telling!

failwolf56
Yearling
Yearling

Post by failwolf56 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:25 pm

Aww, that photo is so cute! I'm a sucker for adorable animals, and this one definately qualifies. That's extremely cool, that you have them so close to where you live. And I do enjoy when you share information, it's nice to be able to learn more, and it's nice of you to provide things I never even knew about! c:
Nov. 2011 UotM

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:19 pm

Wow fantastic picture! The eyes are so large and innocent! Thanks for sharing Sheeba! I highly enjoy learning about these creatures as well as hearing all your unique experiences. Hmm.. I have a question I suppose..
The way the parent coy-wolves raise their pups. Is it similar to that of a wolf pack?

-Sheeba
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Post by -Sheeba » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:02 am

Yes, he is very cute, isn't he? No wonder he attracted so much attention when he was around ^_^

Hmm, I would assume they have similar ways of raising their pups compared to the way wolves do. Though from my understanding, most canines share the generally same way of pup raising, so I would guess that the coywolves are no exception and raise their pups also the same way. However, I've learned that when the coywolves around here feel their numbers are being threatened, they somehow produce more offspring, and are apparently able to birth huge litters. I'm not entirely sure how this works or if it is even true for that matter, but I've heard it numerous times from different people, including wildlife officers in the area (my grandfather is also a retired wildlife officer now, and I've heard this from him as well - he also did an interview about the Newfoundland coyote/coywolf, since he knows a lot about them, and if I'm ever able to snag a copy of it online I can see if I can post it here for you guys to listen to c:). Thought that was an interesting piece of information to share, whether it's completely true or not :)

On the subject of pups, I've heard pups barking right outside in my backyard (we live right in front of the woods) in the spring, and numerous occasions of the adults howling as well. Sometimes it's just a lone howl, but when a pack gets together and howl together right outside my house it proves to be a very amazing experience to listen to :3

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:33 am

Alright. Thankyou out for sharing and answering my question. I kind of guessed so but because we have an "expert" here I thought it doesn't hurt to ask.
I can imagine these nights are amazing. We hear coyotes in our back woods all the time, but because these have wolf in them, does it make their yips and howls more wolf like than coyote like?

-Sheeba
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Post by -Sheeba » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:39 am

Ah yes, that's another thing. Unlike the coyote's more "yippish" barks rather than howls, the coywolves here have a much stronger, longer, and more prominent howl, pretty much exactly like how a wolf howls, though their note is a bit higher and not as deep as a wolf's. I've also notice that when the packs howl, they howl in different octaves, like wolves do to make the pack sound larger than it actually is.

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:47 am

Wow this is very interesting! Coywolves have really begun to fascinate me... I could keep asking questions but I suppose I can keep it short. ^^
What do coywolves diet consist of?
I'm guessing is will be similar to that of a wolf but maybe with a wider variety of smaller rodent like creatures.

-Sheeba
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Post by -Sheeba » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:52 am

Ask away! I love to share my knowledge about these animals and answering questions, so feel free to post whatever is on your mind and I can take a shot on answering them all :)

You've guessed right c: While they maintain their diet of smaller animals such as hares, mice, voles, etc., they also hunt caribou, which has seemed to become a favorite of theirs with the caribou's numbers now decreasing. Since the caribou is the only larger prey animal besides the moose (which is a tad too big for the coywolves to successfully hunt and take down) in Newfoundland, this would be their only main large prey that they can hunt with success.

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:01 am

Wow thanks a bunch! Ok next question... hope you dont mind! ^^
Earlier you mentioned they live in packs. How does their pack system exactly work? Is there also a dominant pair?