"Eastern Coy-Wolves" | General Discussion

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Nordue

Re: "Eastern Coy-Wolves" | General Discussion

Post by Nordue » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:15 pm

• Wow, that's some interesting insight CaptainSpemmy, thanks for sharing that.

Keep us updated on the town's management strategies, and whether they are effective or not. Just curious; did you have to kill the cougars or the coy-wolves?

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:36 am

Well it's good to get some more personal insight on these Coy-Wolves who have actually lived around them before. I agree, very interesting to hear that, CaptainSpenny. ^^
But im not surprised that that's the case. Coyotes do tend to become more social and less community shy than some animals, so when these Canids are mixed with other animals like the wolf, sometimes it can be a situation to be concerned about. I'll be curious to hear what ends up being done.
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

caninesrock
Pup
Pup

Post by caninesrock » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:08 pm

I love coywolves. The one thing that confuses me though is finding their scientific name.
Are there 3 different types of coywolf or do all this scientific names refer to the same animal,but different ideas of what the scientific name should be?

I've seen these different coywolves with these different names:
1.Eastern Coyote/Coywolf (Canis latrans var)-It seems to live atleast in Massuchets(sp?). They seem to be large and very wolf-like in appearance,but still with coyote colors. They might live in southern Ontario, the eastern provinces of Canada, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Maine,
and the rest of the Northeastern United States.
This site is about them with pictures and info: http://www.easterncoyoteresearch.com/

2.Northeastern Coyote/Brush Wolf (Canis latrans thamnos)- These live atleast in Canada, maybe in some places in the Northeastern US too. They seem to have a more coyote-like appearance than the wolves of the Eastern Coyote Research website. They are still bigger than Western coyotes though and maybe bigger than Eastern coyotes according to some sources and have some wolf-like features. They may live in Saskatchewan, Ontario, Quebec, and Manitoba in Canada. In the US,
they might live in North Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana.
This site has some info about them and pictures: http://www.wildlifetech.com/pages/necoyote.htm

3.Adirondack Coywolf/Coyote(Canis latrans lycaon): Some of them look alot like red wolves(Canis rufus) except their coats aren't as red,but more coyote-colored with grays and browns. Some of them look very western coyote-like even more than both Eastern and Northeastern coyotes and they appear to be alot smaller than the other two coywolves with alot more coyote-like features and less wolf-like features. They are still bigger than western coyotes though and have some vague wolf-like features that make them look kind of simliar to red wolves. As far as I can tell, it may live only in New York, specifically in the Adirondack Mountains range there. I couldn't find much info on this animal,but it is mentioned on one site here: http://wilddog.hypermart.net/Home/Wild_ ... /index.htm
Also, there are more pictures of them here:http://wilddog.hypermart.net/Home/Wild_ ... ytPic.html

Also, are the Mountain Coyotes(Canis latrans lestes) and Northern Coyotes(Canis latrans incolatus) coywolves? They look larger and more wolf-like than other subspecies of coyote and I think I remember reading somewhere that they hunt in packs unlike most other subspecies of western coyote.Here is some info on Mountain Coyotes. Apparently, the males can weigh as much as 30 pounds, deer is a large part of their diet, and some have colors so wolf-like that the locals have nicknamed them "gray wolves", all of which would make me think they might be coywolves rather than purebred coyotes: http://www.nps.gov/history/history/onli ... mals15.htm
And this is supposedly a mountain coyote and it looks very large and kind of wolf-like to me: http://rpguide.soulsrpg.com/public/imag ... estes4.png
Northern Coyotes can weigh up 60 pounds or more. According to this site, supposedly, Northern Coyotes do have atleast a small amount of wolf in them:http://www.creaturecontrol.net/Coyotes
This site has some info on Northern Coyote if you scroll down to where it says "The First Wave": http://hal_macgregor.tripod.com/kennel/Anatomy.htm
This is supposedly a Northern Coyote: http://rpguide.soulsrpg.com/public/imag ... latus6.png

fjer-raev
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Location: No matter where in the world I am. Denmark or USA. I will always be there for my bestie

Post by fjer-raev » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:39 am

This is what I have in my region of MI, USA. Even more interesting, I have a pelt hanging on my wall that my uncle shot on a hunting trip. There's also a coy-wolf den in the back. I have seen them a couple times. And I have shot a couple. (They were disturbing a colt, and the cattle). Even had a horse be attacked by one on the trail. Pretty critters they are. However they ain't the best thing to have near a farm.
A penny for my thoughts, oh, no, I'll sell 'em for a dollar
They're worth so much more after I'm a goner
And maybe then you'll hear the words I been singin'
Funny when you're dead how people start listenin'

Coryn 2
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Coryn 2 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:13 pm

Toronto - An eery howl in the night signaling that a coyote is around is common for those who camp in the woods. It is also becoming much more common in urban centres like Chicago and Toronto where a new breed, the coywolf, is on the prowl.

If you ran into a coywolf during a late night run in a local park would you be able to remain calm? That is one piece of advice on what to do if you encounter the animal. There has only been 2 reports of fatal coyote attacks in North America in 500 years but as the animals get closer to urban areas it is wise to be aware and never turn your back if you see one.
It is thought that the hybrid animals first appeared in 1919 in Algonquin park. The new breed was documented on CBC's The Nature of Things with David Suzuki Thursday night.
Suzuki said that the coywolf, a form of high speed evolution, has slipped into our cities. At this time only a rare few have seen coywolves up close and personal.

Coywolves are able to survive in an urban environment because they are intelligent. Coywolves also leave the nest earlier than wolves or coyotes, striking out on their own by the time they are two. They are able to blend in, often unseen, in cities parks. City coywolves hunt for small prey rather unlike their country relatives. They also mate for life.
Recently there have been reports of coyotes in Toronto but it's quite possible those sightings have been of a new breed, the coywolf. On Monday Toronto Police killed what is believed to be a coywolf.
The police had no way of knowing that the coywolf that they shot was a new father protecting his young. The animal and his mate had recently become parents, which is likely why they appeared to be more aggressive.
Coyotes have been in Toronto for years but recent sightings have created areas of panic. Wildlife experts say that education is needed as the animals don't appear to be leaving the city. When people leave food out in natural spaces it is a calling call for coywolves.
Coywolves are an unofficial name for a breed of Eastern coyote that has bred with wolves. They are double the size of other coyotes with pack-hunting and aggressive traits. This new breed also appears to have no fear of being in urban areas.
That lack of apparent fear has been costly to farmers in the Durham Region. Last year there was 545 dead or injured animals which resulted in a $168,000 food and agriculture ministry payout.
About one hundred years the odds were stacked against eastern wolves with deforestation, wolf control programs and an increasing development of urban centers. Coyotes, however, were able to increase their numbers. This is when the two animals began to interbreed. Coyotes can adjust the number of young born depending on their habitat.
Today we can see true biology evolution take place with these remarkable animals.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/3 ... z39aIQQVJr
Wow, a few years ago at a golf course near my home, I felt like something was stalking me through the woods, it was dusk. I couldn't smell anything (skunk) or see anything for 30 minutes. I was about half a mile from my house and by then I was on the flat grass part and I glanced behind me and saw a shadow pass right inside the woods.
After that I turned around because it was so quiet I knew it wasn't a normal dog, and I knew to never turn my back on an animal stalking me. As I tread backwards on the grass, I passed a clump of three or so birch trees, with a flowery bush at the front. I saw a very real tall, German Shepard Dog- like shadow. I was now even more confused, because there is a loose aggressive German Shepard in my neighborhood, but now I think I know what I saw. A coy- wolf pair, stalking me. I've seen wild canid track in that area in the winter. Well I ran backwards , and told my fam, but they didn't believe me. They said it was that dog, but that dog can't be in 2 places at once, and not make an audible sound, and be much to small for a Shepard (its a monster), but far bigger than the coyotes I've seen in Yellowstone.
Oh and I live in Iowa, so I was wondering if someone could confirm what it was? I only saw vague shapes, it was dark out.
I howl, my howl fills the starry sky, but as I view the velvety splendor, I yearn to be more. More than my howl. But I am not.

Proud Delta- Trainee in the Great Travelers Pack

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:40 pm

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Post by duskypack » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:31 am

I saw a documentary, or at least half of it, called 'Rise of the Coy-Wolves'. Coy-Wolves are very interesting, and I love their fur color variety. It's rather surprising they aren't sterile.

Apparently they are really elusive and street-wise.
¯~_°. .°_~¯
Night is now falling, so ends this day.
The road is now calling, and I must away.
Over hill and under tree, through lands where never light has shone.
By silver streams that run down to the sea.
¯~_°. .°_~¯

Lyrics - The Last Goodbye by Billy Boyd
Av/Sig - Koa/Raven

Noella
Name: Noella

Post by Noella » Sun May 10, 2015 2:17 pm

duskypack wrote:I saw a documentary, or at least half of it, called 'Rise of the Coy-Wolves'. Coy-Wolves are very interesting, and I love their fur color variety. It's rather surprising they aren't sterile.

Apparently they are really elusive and street-wise.
I think I saw the same documentary your talking about. I guess Coy-wolves could be mistaken for a small German Shepard if you didn't know them or a coyote in general. I find them to be very impressive animals.