General Dingo Discussion

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

-Larka-
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Re: Dingos

Post by -Larka- » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:44 am

Im glad some people are trying to protect them.
Last edited by -Larka- on Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SolitaryPride
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Post by SolitaryPride » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:50 am

My Mom said her grandpa had a Dingo, but she thought it was ugly and she was scared of it. Or was it her Dads brother.... Hmm I dont remember
------------__/\
-------__/------\
------\___------\
---------- /------\
---------/--------\
---------\--------/
----------/-------\
------/\-/---------\
-----/--\'\__--__/
-----\______/
~Matue
African Stars Pack
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45816

Originally: Dacoda
Avvie: Koa

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:50 am

I disagree with keeping a dingo as a pet - I feel same way about it than I do with keeping high-content wolf-dogs as pets. Unless the person is willing to socialize and train the animal, they should not keep it as a housepet or a companion. You got to provide the necessary expansion of territory (vast spaces/area for the animal to live in), proper social conditions and training so it can get accustomed of being around other human beings and domestic animals.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Aurora Storm
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Aurora Storm » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:55 pm

I agree. My uncle's dingo is as friendly as anything with people, but he doesn't like other male dogs.
.------° § Aurora § °
..--Pack Leader Council
.---Undine Falls Pack
.------------Zeta

The Hardest Thing in Life
is Living it.
Death is Peaceful... Easy.
Life is Harder.

Avatar: "Aurora" avatar by Runningshadow75.

Proud Undine Falls Pack Member for Forever and Beyond
http://www.undinefallspack.com
PMotM September 2009

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:24 am

Dingos are very social and affectionate, but you should still be careful with them. Just like any domestic dog, they can get unpredictable and aggressive if not raised and handled properly. I prefer the dingos be out in the wild in the Australian outbacks - where they belong.

Fawnir
Pup
Pup

Post by Fawnir » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:17 pm

I think people need stop trying to get wild animals such as dingos just for the fact they they get to say they own a dingo. People want the "glory" that comes with owning a wild animal and they have no idea how to care for it. People need be able to have the right habitat for them in order to be a good owner. People who get a dingo and then put them in a cage only to drag them out to show off to people have no right doing so.
Last edited by Fawnir on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
o0o~Undine Falls Pack Member of the Month for Nov.~o0o
~**~*Avatar by April!~**~*
Proud Member and Scout of the Undine Falls Pack!!

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:06 pm

Couldn't agree with you more, Fawnir. Having an exotic wild animals as a "pet", is only something a person can say they have to increase their personal status within the community. They want glory and fame and admiration when they claim they own a wolf, or a dingo, or a tiger, etc... it is irresponsible and immoral, in my opinion.
People should only keep animals as pets if 1) they love them, and are prepared to respect and take care of them (provide food, water, shelter, etc). 2) they have proper knowledge and experience of the animal and know how to socialize and train it under the right circumstances. 3) are willing to accept all the risks included keeping a wild animal as a pet (possible attack toward another human being, damaging the environment or assaulting a domestic pet, and so forth).

snohomish10
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by snohomish10 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:23 am

dingos yoused to be pets like dogs they were hunting dogs but they became wild and you can find em around beaches in australia

Wolf_Brother
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Wolf_Brother » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:24 pm

I actually work with Dingos, so I will try and answer some of the misconceptions,
The dingo is NOT a domestic dog gone wild, nor is it a feral dog, on average feral dogs survive about 2 weeks.
They are in no way related to any domestic species.
The Dingo IS it's own species of canid, like the fox, wolf coyote, etc. (Try telling that to the Aust Govt)
You CAN have a dingo as a pet, though I do not recommend it, the only people I know of who have successfully owned/own dingos work with them.
Aurora Storm wrote:I know a lot about dingoes, though I wouldn't say I'm an expert xD My uncle has one as a pet -- which many people do not agree with.

I actually talk to the president or the Western Australian Dingo Association quite often -- over Email. He shares many photos of their -- I guess you could call -- ambassador dingos and updates on their protection program. It is quite fascinating actually, hearing what everyone has to say about the projects. I could share some here if anyone would like (^-^)

I'm glad you like Dingos, which is awesome.
Anyone else interested or after info, I recommend visiting:
http://www.dingodiscovery.net/
and
http://www.dingofoundation.org.au/

If any of you have more questions, just ask, I am more than happy to answer, to the best of my ability.
Jag er Völund,

snohomish10
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by snohomish10 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:25 pm

i said they were like the dog but not the same species of a dog or a dog it is its own species and they once were kept as hunting dogs.....i dont mean they are dogs...im just saying long ago people kept them and called them dogs because they thought they were and they used em for hunting! :!:....and they were pets but they turned wild and people couldnt control them but that is what i think im not to sure on that.....anyways or i think people just kinda forgot about em and used real dogs

Wolf_Brother
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Wolf_Brother » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:08 am

snohomish10 wrote:i said they were like the dog but not the same species of a dog or a dog it is its own species and they once were kept as hunting dogs.....i dont mean they are dogs...im just saying long ago people kept them and called them dogs because they thought they were and they used em for hunting! :!:....and they were pets but they turned wild and people couldnt control them but that is what i think im not to sure on that.....anyways or i think people just kinda forgot about em and used real dogs
Jag er Völund,

snohomish10
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by snohomish10 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:21 am

Wolf_Brother wrote:
snohomish10 wrote:i said they were like the dog but not the same species of a dog or a dog it is its own species and they once were kept as hunting dogs.....i dont mean they are dogs...im just saying long ago people kept them and called them dogs because they thought they were and they used em for hunting! :!:....and they were pets but they turned wild and people couldnt control them but that is what i think im not to sure on that.....anyways or i think people just kinda forgot about em and used real dogs
why did you do that you didnt even say anything?!

Wolf_Brother
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Wolf_Brother » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:09 am

snohomish10 wrote:
Wolf_Brother wrote:
why did you do that you didnt even say anything?!

What the? That's weird, because I did write something.
Well, what I said was:
You were close, just that dingos were never owned by humans, or used as hunting dogs.
Pure wild canine, like the wolf.
Jag er Völund,

moontribe
Pup
Pup

Post by moontribe » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:35 am

ok i no why the dingos are in Australia from were every they came from had dingos and some not so smart people and the dingos got loose and the did what wolves would do form a pack.They dingos that got loose we not fixed so the mated and on and on and on.
Also they person who said they would love the have it as a pet, it would not be good they could get a young one!!!!!Every hear the story about the dingo ate my baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is no "higher than all of us" in my eyes
were is his sigh
when will this guy come
to the world
if you think about it
really think about it
then you will agree with meh

Wolf_Brother
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Wolf_Brother » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:15 pm

moontribe wrote:ok i no why the dingos are in Australia from were every they came from had dingos and some not so smart people and the dingos got loose and the did what wolves would do form a pack.They dingos that got loose we not fixed so the mated and on and on and on.
Also they person who said they would love the have it as a pet, it would not be good they could get a young one!!!!!Every hear the story about the dingo ate my baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All wrong.... Dingos came from (wait for it) Australia! Dingos don't tend to live in packs, they are normally loners or with their mate for most of the year (except for breeding season).
They're ok to have as a pet, but in saying that, they are a wild animal, so I would only own one if I truly, truly wanted it, not as a status symbol. And they don't eat little kids... The lady who made up that story was responsible for the death of her kid.
Jag er Völund,