Fennec Foxes

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Earz
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Fennec Foxes

Post by Earz » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:48 am

Most people don't know who are Fennec foxes well here are some information:
The Fennec Fox (Vulpes zerda) is a small nocturnal fox found in the Sahara of North Africa. Its most distinctive feature is unusually large ears. The name "Fennec" comes from the Arabic word for fox, and the species name zerda has a Greek origin that refers to its habitat. The Fennec is the smallest species of canid in the world; coat, ears and kidney functions have adapted to a high-temperature, low-water, desert environment. In addition, its hearing is sensitive enough to hear prey moving underground.
The Fennec has a life span of up to 10 years in the wild; its main predators include the Caracal and the African varieties of Eagle Owl. Families of Fennecs dig out dens in sand for habitation and protection, which can be as large as 120 m2 (1,292 sq ft) and adjoin the dens of other families. Precise population figures are not known but are estimated from the frequency of sightings; these indicate that the animal is currently not threatened by extinction. Knowledge of social interactions is limited to information gathered from captive animals. The species is usually assigned to the genus Vulpes; however, this is debated due to differences between the Fennec Fox and other fox species. The Fennec's fur is prized by the indigenous peoples of North Africa, and in some parts of the world, the animal is considered an exotic pet.
The species is found in North Africa and Asia. The range is from Morocco through to Egypt, as far south as northern Niger and as far east as the Sinai Peninsula and Kuwait.
A Fennec Fox's typical den is dug in sand, either in open areas or places sheltered by plants with stable sand dunes considered to be their ideal habitat. In compacted soils, dens can be up to 120 square meters, with up to 15 different entrances. In some cases different families interconnect their dens, or locate them close together. In soft, looser sand, dens tend to be simpler with only one entrance leading to a single chamber.

This is taken from the Wikipedia So its so long lol But i do know some things about the fennec fox myself but i thought
the Wikipedia was better :D
And Please Lock this topic if it has any problems.
Thank you.
Can you beat ma Fennec foxyness!? Lulz! =3

Thandi
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Re: Fennec Foxes

Post by Thandi » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:47 pm

Nice info you get yourself there, but I think that if you have some type of information from another site or article then you have to quote it, but I'm not one hundred percent sure.
everything out of the ordinary is considered weird, i try to stay clear of the eathlings and their fears

April

Post by April » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:36 pm

Of course I know what a Fennec Fox is. Also called a Desert Fox. It's odd how some people have them as pets. Type up "Fennec Fox" in youtube and you'll find people in their own household videotaping their Fennec Fox pets. It's really quite amazing. The sounds they make are so peculliar. They sound more lke a mouse than a dog and they're squeak growling is soo cute
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

http://aprilsilverwolf.wix.com/lessonslearnednovel

~April~
~Member Of The Month for October of 2009~
Yellowstone wolf international/Skilled Hunter

Snow Powder Runs Pack

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:50 pm

Fennec Foxes are one of my favorite types of fox breeds along with the Swift Fox. They are quite interesting creatures, although I do not know much about them. What I do know is, like April said, they live in the desert(but I didn't really know they could be found in Asia!) and I think one of the diets are bugs.

It's interesting that some people have them as pets - that I didn't know. Although, I'm not much of a fan on having wild animals as pets it's still pretty amazing.

Thanks for sharing this information. :3
............'..........Avatar by Zethra

smokey123

Post by smokey123 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:22 pm

It is a great pleasure when someone posting this great information Earz, it is very useful to WQ and their people, Thanks!

Silver_Stream00
Pup
Pup

Post by Silver_Stream00 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:28 pm

I love fennec foxes! They help keep insect levels down and, let's not forget, they are really cute! I don't believe in keeping them as pets. They could have been taken from their natural habitat...
.//...'.'.'.'..(¨*.¸(¨*.¸´.¸ тђє คfricคɲ Stคrs Pคςƙ ¸.´¸.*¨) ¸.*¨)
.//...'.///////////.//////////'.'.'..Celebrating 2 years
...........Orbit, proud to be a Zaka of the African Stars Pack!
.//.......'.'.'.'..Come join the largest pack on WolfQuest today!:
..../....//.http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45816

Signature/Avatar by the African Stars Pack.

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:46 pm

Thanks nightangelwolf ^^

Regarding Fennec foxes, I personally love them. I have a friend that wants to get one as a pet when she is older, which surprised me at first. I personally do not agree with having wild animals as domestic day pets, but I can understand how this little animal could be seen as an everyday house pet. These foxes are probably one of my favorite breeds of fox, and I find their appearance rather cute. I didn't know much about them until now.

Thanks for sharing this information!
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

A Needlepoint Dreary
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by A Needlepoint Dreary » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:56 pm

Fennecs are adorable with their big ears and fluffy tails .u.
Abandoning this account. I'll be known on my other one, "the ACTUAL dizzy" once it is activated.

-04.17.2013-

Granger
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Shelby

Post by Granger » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:58 pm

Oh, I've seen these little guys all over YouTube! They are incredibly cute. I'd consider having one as a pet in the future, but I am not experienced with foxes so I would need to do some serious research before even considering one in the future. But they are very adorable and I love those humongous ears of theirs!

I enjoy seeing exotic pets that do well as domesticated ones, so personally I'm pretty happy with these little guys being pets. As long as it's not some inexperienced person with an emaciated tigress in their backyard feeding them cheeseburgers. Proper habitat, food, and care and I'm perfectly fine with animals being out of their normal environments.

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:56 pm

These guys are so interesting and look adorable! Nice informative post you've got there :D

I've heard of tame foxes as pets before... I guess they could be domesticated, though it still kind of goes against my gut feeling to keep wild animals as pets. But who knows? Dogs weren't always as easy-going as they are now either. :)

whisperer
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by whisperer » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:16 pm

Oh, I love Fennec Foxes! I have this teddy one and...I'm getting sidetracked...sorry.

Anyway, most - no - all of my friends don't know what one is, and I'm like "
How can you not have seen something that adorable?" :lol:

Anyway, great post!
The people who say anything is possible have never tried slamming a revolving door! ~ Me

http://whisperer96.deviantart.com/

Redwalker

Post by Redwalker » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:14 pm

I love the little critters! I see people keeping them as pets on youtube and all of that, but people argue that they aren't domesticated....but they are truly little lookers! Simply adorable ^.^
,.°`°.,
xoxo, Gossip Girl
,.°`°.,

ravenshadow31
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by ravenshadow31 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:00 pm

I love fennec foxes! their just socute with their, large ears and them being so small. How can any one not love these foxes. I for some reason would like to own one, but I kinda don't.

TenderPaws
Pup
Pup

Post by TenderPaws » Mon May 20, 2013 11:49 am

I love those foxes! They're so adorable with their huge ears and their soft amazing fur! :D
I've known about them for many many years <3
..... (\_/)
(... {.' '-} <( woof~! )
.)).. /';.\
((_( )'_\\,,
"I closed my mouth and spoke to you in a hundred silent ways."

PeltOfAsh
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Ash

Post by PeltOfAsh » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:16 pm

I've gotten to hold and pet a fennec before. What a squirrly little guy. Squirming the whole time I was holding him.