General Fox Discussion

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

SmokeDetector

Fox Information

Post by SmokeDetector » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:21 pm

Red foxes live around the world in many diverse habitats including forests, grasslands, mountains, and deserts. They also adapt well to human environments such as farms, suburban areas, and even large communities. The red fox's resourcefulness has earned it a legendary reputation for intelligence and cunning.

Red foxes are solitary hunters who feed on rodents, rabbits, birds, and other small game—but their diet can be as flexible as their home habitat. Foxes will eat fruit and vegetables, fish, frogs, and even worms. If living among humans, foxes will opportunistically dine on garbage and pet food.

Like a cat's, the fox's thick tail aids its balance, but it has other uses as well. A fox uses its tail (or "brush") as a warm cover in cold weather and as a signal flag to communicate with other foxes.

Foxes also signal each other by making scent posts—urinating on trees or rocks to announce their presence.

In winter, foxes meet to mate. The vixen (female) typically gives birth to a litter of 2 to 12 pups. At birth, red foxes are actually brown or gray. A new red coat usually grows in by the end of the first month, but some red foxes are golden, reddish-brown, silver, or even black. Both parents care for their young through the summer before they are able to strike out on their own in the fall.

Red foxes are hunted for sport, though not extensively, and are sometimes killed as destructive pests or frequent carriers of rabies.Type:
Mammal
Diet:
Omnivore
Average life span in the wild:
2 to 4 years
Size:
Head and body, 18 to 33.75 in (46 to 86 cm); Tail, 12 to 21.75 in (30.5 to 55.5 cm)
Weight:
6.5 to 24 lbs (3 to 11 kg)
Size relative to a 6-ft (2-m) man:
More information about where the Fox live:Red foxes live in most of Asia, Europe, and in the northern parts of North America. Gray foxes live in most of the United States, Mexico, Central America, and in parts of South America. Foxes are found in farmlands and forests, deserts, burrows, the prairies and in wooded areas of some cities. They live in family groups while they are young. Adults live alone or in pairs. Foxes do not live in packs like wolves do. Foxes live in dens during the winter. The den may be underground, in caves, among rocks, or in hollow logs or trees. Grey foxes can be almost squirrel-like in their ability to climb trees, and have been known to live in expropriated squirrels nests as high as 25 feet off the ground.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_do_foxe ... z1B8LIPDZ4

Thandi
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Re: Fox Information

Post by Thandi » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:59 pm

Interesting information on foxes, thanks for that! :3
everything out of the ordinary is considered weird, i try to stay clear of the eathlings and their fears

MsGoldenMC4

Post by MsGoldenMC4 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:12 pm

Interesting,This should be usefull/helpful for those who want to learn about foxs or sometimes have fox problems

naruto10482
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by naruto10482 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:26 pm

i didnt know foxes was omivours wow well i guess ya learn something new every day
...............(\(|
_..____../{ "-;
//) )___\..;'` Foxes gotta love em!83
. (( |__||\\

-Dakota-
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by -Dakota- » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:32 pm

Very outstanding information that you have about Foxes, SmokeDetector. Also, I hope you don't mind if I add a bit more Information 'bout Red Foxes, Gray Foxes and other Foxes. If you don't mind at all, here's some information.
Fox

General Information About Foxes In North America

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Carnivora
Family: Canidae

There are five species of the fox found in North America: The Red Fox, the Gray Fox, the Kit Fox, the Swift Fox, and the Island Fox. The two most commonly seen are the Red Fox and the Gray Fox.
Male adult foxes are known commonly as dogs, tods, vixes and reynards. Female adult foxes are known as vixens and young foxes are known as kits, cubs and pups. A group of foxes is called a skulk.

In many cultures today the fox is a familiar animal of folklore, a symbol of something full of cunning and trickery. In Chinese folklore, fox spirits lure men away from their wives; in Japanese folklore, the kitsune is known for being highly mischievous and cunning. In western culture, the words "fox" or "foxy" are slang for an individual with sex appeal and the word "vixen", commonly associated with a female fox, is used to describe an attractive woman with questionable qualities.
Over the past several years, the reputation of the fox has improved due to its portrayals in fiction and literature.
Most recent portrayals are of "Tod" the red fox in the "Fox and the Hound" and the animated version of Robin Hood where the hero and main character is a fox.
Another portrayal is that of Br' er Fox from the Uncle Remus folktales.
Below are the descriptions of the five species of fox found in North America. Three out of five of these species are currently endangered. First, comparing the Red Fox and the Gray Fox.

The Red Fox vs. the Gray Fox
Between the red fox and the gray fox, the red fox is the larger of the two species weighing seven to fifteen pounds, growing to three feet in length and having a foot and a half long tail. Both the red and gray fox will dig their own dens or if available will occupy the abandoned dens of woodchucks, badgers or other burrowing animals. Their dens are used to raise their young or escape the cold weather. More often than not, both foxes prefer to rest under brush piles or fallen logs.
Foxes are only dangerous to humans when rabid and between the two, the gray fox is more reclusive. The red fox has been commonly seen walking through yards ignoring any humans that may be around. Both foxes will dig under fences to reach outdoor pets such as rabbits and poultry. They pay little attention to adult cats, because they are almost of the same size, however they will go after kittens.

Credits: Our thanks to Lani Powell, who researched and wrote our fox articles!

SOURCE: http://www.pestproducts.com/fox-information.htm
Oƒƒïсαl Dσg Trαínєr

Pɾøυḋ Gïɾl Sсøυτ

MsGoldenMC4

Post by MsGoldenMC4 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:17 pm

Thanks for providing that! I will be glad to add that soon

Symbiont
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Location: I could be anywhere, but right here works just fine.

Post by Symbiont » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:03 pm

Sorry I am so late to jump on the bandwagon here!!

This information is taken from personal experience: heed it wisely. I have learned my lesson and will always live with a nice set of fox scars.

The NA Red and Grey foxes have sharp canine teeth used to--well, eat meat. These teeth are very dangerous, I do NOT, under any circumstances, recommend volunteering to get near them if they are still attached to the fox!! :wink: THEY HURT!! I have been bitten before!!

On the rabies end, typical detainment and/or autopsy can identify wether or not the creature was rabid. IF YOU GET ATTACKED IN THE DAYTIME, assume it has rabies!! Mine did!! The first 1-3 shots HURT. After that, the others are relatively painless even for sensitive people (again, I would know) and no longer go in the stomach! They now go into the arms/legs of the victim. This hurts most in the leg, the arm ones don't hurt.

Finally, foxes are DANGEROUS CREATURES who DO NOT make good house pets and SHOULD NOT be allowed to roam your property if you have company, especially company with kids, over at your house.

Thanks for listening!!
Amii, victim of rabies attack, July 1st 2010
*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*
I am mentally unstable, yes, I have had a mental breakdown, yes, I do not go to counselling, no, and yes, I CANNOT taste cheese.

Avatar© Symbiont/Astro of Chaos Graphics. Thieves and Green Bay will be prosecuted!!

*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*

Makui Wolf

Post by Makui Wolf » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:02 pm

(I know I'm late)

Personally I don't agree with you that foxes are dangerous. But then, I wouldn't really know because I am blinded by the fact that I love all animals. Anyway, I believe you about the rabies, but I don't agree about foxes being dangerous. Usually they fear humans and will do their best to stay away from them. I don't mean to annoy you by any means, but that is just my point of view. Sorry.

Will O The Wisp
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Will O The Wisp » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:28 pm

I love foxes! It's a rare thing to be attacked. Foxes roam my neighborhood all the time. The ones near me are actually very friendly =)
And I have a question: If a wolf and a fox met, would a fight ensue? Would the fox run off, or...what? What would happen?
"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."
— Albert Einstein

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:00 am

Will O The Wisp wrote:And I have a question: If a wolf and a fox met, would a fight ensue? Would the fox run off, or...what? What would happen?
If a wolf and fox met, they would yes fight. This is usually over carcasses etc.
Wolves also kill red, arctic and corsac foxes, usually in disputes over carcasses.
Source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_Wolf# ... _predators

Anyways, great topic! I love foxes, personally, and this is some very interesting information. Thanks for sharing! It is very useful.
............'..........Avatar by Zethra

wolfyattitude
Yearling
Yearling

Post by wolfyattitude » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:25 am

I love foxes they are so cute, once I went to the woods and a fox chasing a bird ran out right infront of me, I practically had a heart attack! XD
╔═══════╗
████████
ÐEatнηΘ†E║
████████
████████
████████
████████
╚═══════╝

Avvie(c)Lupinzpack

Makui Wolf

Post by Makui Wolf » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:33 am

Yeah, it's definitely rare to be attacked. (I LOVE FOXES!!!!!) =D

Wow, that must have been scary! (but cool!) I've never seen a fox up close before... I'd love to... hehe. It must have been an AAAA-mazing experience!

But also yes I agree, foxes should not be kept as pets! They are wild animals and should stay that way!

Quivira
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Quivira » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:34 pm

Zethra wrote:
Will O The Wisp wrote:And I have a question: If a wolf and a fox met, would a fight ensue? Would the fox run off, or...what? What would happen?
If a wolf and fox met, they would yes fight. This is usually over carcasses etc.
Wolves also kill red, arctic and corsac foxes, usually in disputes over carcasses.
Source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_Wolf# ... _predators

Anyways, great topic! I love foxes, personally, and this is some very interesting information. Thanks for sharing! It is very useful.
Well, the fox wouldn't really challenge the wolf. It would most likely run away, unless the wolf catches it first or catches up to it and then attacks it. Foxes know their strength and size compared to a wolf's so one would just run off if in the presence of a wolf.

Foxes are pretty interesting creatures. I've seen a few by where I live, all red foxes. I hope they don't get near my house though, cause then they'll kill my chickens.

Snakes

knives
-- Butch  Deloria

avatar/sig © Lupinzpack/twinlinskis

Stiched
Pup
Pup

Post by Stiched » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:18 am

Thanks for writing about foxes I was trying to write a story about them but couldn't come up with good info
Does any body know about black foxes
I don't think there a species but I also don't know if this is a rare coloring or not 8)
A friend once asked me If I would catch a grenade for them. I said yah but if u need someone to catch a grenade don't pick me cause it would end up hitting u in the face cause I can not catch

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:16 pm

Wow, thanks for the information, SmokeDetector & -Dakota-!

Personally, I have only ever seen one fox in my entire life - in the back garden of my house; the first time I've ever seen one first-hand. :3 Gotta admit that they're better to watch first-hand rather than watching on say a nature channel -- they sure are interesting canids. :)
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit