General Coyote Discussion

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Coyote

Post by paperpaws » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:31 am

Maybe it wasn't a coyote, it could be a dog, right? Or a dog/coyote cross, though I highly doubt that. It does interest me though.

I love coyotes. They seem more clever and sneaky to me than wolves.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:48 am

SolitaryHowl wrote:Just yesterday, a coyote was found in my city carrying a cat in it's mouth! The guy who say it said it was just walking down the sidewalk, as if it didn't care about him or his car in the slightest. Could they be adapting?
(Just felt like quoting myself too. xD)
sSilvers wrote:
Maybe it wasn't a coyote, it could be a dog, right? Or a dog/coyote cross, though I highly doubt that. It does interest me though.

I love coyotes. They seem more clever and sneaky to me than wolves.
Apparently it was a 'pure' coyote, the man took pictures of it and experts analyzed them. Definitely a coyote.

I believe coyotes are more adaptable than wolves are, and I've actually seen stories on TV where coyotes are pests like raccoons and skunks.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Chelski09
Pup
Pup

Post by Chelski09 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:31 am

I lie coyotes too. they are cute, they're so little. thier howling is funny... its just on this video the filmed it howling and its face was so funny.
'Minds are like parachutes; They work best when they're open'

Fawnir
Pup
Pup

Post by Fawnir » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:31 pm

People usually like to go more towards foxes because coyotes cause a lot of problems. We had some out back the other night and we were very worried about our horses and our birds. They have been known to kill people and the fear alone they cause usually makes people not want them around. Though coyotes are very spooky they are also very cool. When you hear them at night you just get this kind of scared and amazed feel all at the same time. Don't worry there are many people who want to save coyotes as well. So they are not all on their own. People all over want to save them.
o0o~Undine Falls Pack Member of the Month for Nov.~o0o
~**~*Avatar by April!~**~*
Proud Member and Scout of the Undine Falls Pack!!

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:53 pm

SolitaryHowl wrote:Just yesterday, a coyote was found in my city carrying a cat in it's mouth! The guy who say it said it was just walking down the sidewalk, as if it didn't care about him or his car in the slightest. Could they be adapting?
coyotes are adapted to urban environments.

and the cat could quite possibly have been dead, coyotes are known to eat small pets.
icon by Rottenrobbie

AlbinoWolf6
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by AlbinoWolf6 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:43 pm

Blindseer wrote:
coyotes are adapted to urban environments.

and the cat could quite possibly have been dead, coyotes are known to eat small pets.
They are. A group of coyotes killed one of our barn cats 2 months ago, but besides that I enjoy watching coyotes and are a fascinating breed of animal :mrgreen:
¸.*¨*`.¸ ωσℓƒQυєѕт cσммυnιту мємвєя ¸.*¨*`.¸
..¸.*¨*`.¸ υn∂ιnє ƒαℓℓѕ ραcк мємвєя ¸.*¨*`.¸
...¸.*¨*`.¸ Avvie by TheGreatAbyss!! Thanks! ¸.*¨*`.¸

Nightskydapple
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: Waiting for "Her" to turn back and realise I'm here enduring the pain.

Post by Nightskydapple » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:39 pm

I like coyotes. Though I've never seen a real one either :( I like wolves more than coyotes, but i've seen some stuffed figures of it in the muesuem.
~Yeah I'm smiling,[/color]Inside dieing.~
Behind this fake mask of mine,
Paper thin lies, what I wished for most is a paper heart,
then you can't come and destroy and tear it apart like you
did to my last one.~

wolfdrgn
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by wolfdrgn » Mon May 03, 2010 1:31 pm

My favorite animal is the coyote. I've seen four. My favorite sighting was when I was on my way home. I saw a coyote cross the road and another one about to cross. I looked at my book on coyotes, when I got home, and saw that the month I saw them was mating season. So the thought I may have seen coyote mates will probably never leave me.
If a little pig can build a house a big, bad wolf can rent a bulldozer.

Proud to be the Lead hunter of the WolfBonePack

fizzle323
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by fizzle323 » Wed May 05, 2010 8:05 pm

i know a girl on this site her nick name on multiplayer is 'coyote' she gets mad when others kill one in the game so dont think you love them more then she dose

Crocotto
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Crocotto » Fri May 14, 2010 10:08 am

Shoot, next to dingos, Coyotes are my favorite canine. I like them more then wolves (blasphemy I know). I think the problem is there are people who hate certain animals for the most idiotic reasons I've ever seen.
I was once saw a forum, where the members actually thought coyotes should be exterminated, just because they are "imitations" wolves. The same forum also was under the impression that a lone wolf could take down a full grown grizzly bear. Oye... My point is, when those dills say something, they tend to make a big impact; no matter how stupid their claim is. Their are idiots in every fan group, and wolf groups are no exception. I see the hyenas get slammed for similar “reasons” as well.
~Convenience is no excuse to hide truth~

Blight-Wolf for Moderator!
# Team Anti-Wolfaboo

Alsatian
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Alsatian » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:52 am

Coyotes are one of my favorite canines, too, besides Hyenas, Maned Wolves, Jackals, Dingos, Foxes etc. They are very misunderstood though, and that's really bothering me. Plus, they are not the only canines who cause damage (obviously). To tell you the truth, I wouldn't be really happy to meet one in the wild, but I think most of us don't. Also, Coyote attacks could be avoided, I think. But people are not smart enough I think for stopping killing the Coyotes and finding ways to just stop them killing humans.

SmokeDetector

General Coyote Discussion

Post by SmokeDetector » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:50 am

Coyotes:
Coyotes are a member of the dog family. Their scientific name is ``Canis latrans``, it means ``barking dog.`` This name was given by Thomas Say in 1835. He was one of the first white men to hear the late twilight and early morning howling of this wolf like creature.
Appearence:
Coyotes can be anywhere from a yellowish brown to a tawny grey in colour. Their belly is usually off~white. This colour will usually extend onto the throat area. Coyotes have a pointed muzzle and a flat forehead. The tail is quite bushy. Coyotes are between the size of a fox and a wolf.
Behaviour:
Coyotes are quite playful. Pups will often play~fight and wrestle. A scared coyote will hold its head low and tuck his tail between his/her legs.

When a coyote hears loud sounds it will puppy its ears up. If it is another coyote, it will often reply. To us this is howling, but to a coyote it is their way of communicating. They are most active during the early morning and at twilight.

Diet:
Coyotes, as you would think, are mainly carnivores. But, they will also eat fruit and insects. The carnivore part of their diet is mostly rodents, such as mice, rats and the odd rabbit. They also eat carrion. Carrion is animal carcasses that other carnivores have eaten off all they want and left it to rot.
Breeding:
Coyotes start breeding at about one year. When they find a mate, it is for life. Mating takes place in about February. The pups are born 60 to 63 days later. There are usually five to seven pups, to a maximum of nineteen.
Range:
Coyotes are found in most of North America, except the cold Arctic tundra. Coyotes can adapt to most climates quite well.

Coyotes are very interesting animals. Their appearance and behavior is quite similar to that of a dogs. Whenever you see a coyote, think of the storey behind that fur coat. Coyotes have survived for thousands of years, and if we take care of them, they`ll be here for thousands more. Coyotes, like all animals are part of the eco~system, and without one animal it can come crashing down. The more animals that fall, the closer we are to falling.

More Facts Typed out by People:
1. The coyote is related to wolves. It is different in several ways..as for the wolf he is almost extinct but the coyote has survived.
Did you know the coyote is smaller so they do not eat much.
The coyote has excellent hearing and sense of smell.
They can detect hunters coming a mile or more away.
Also they can hear their prey scurrying beneath the snow.
The female coyotes mate at about 2 years old.
A new born weighs about 7 to 10 ounces.
They ea big animals like moose.
Some people likt meat and vegetation, they also eat small rodents
like mice ande the coyote because they keep rodents away.

You might hear the eerie howl of a prairie wolf at night. Prairie wolf is another name for coyote. Some people also call it a bush wolf.

Did you know that female coyotes mate at two years old? Their pregnancy periods lasts 60 to 63 days. They have 5 or 6 babies in each litter.

Did you know coyotes can run 40 miles per hour?

Coyotes live in United States, Canada, and Mexico. You would find their homes in places like deserts, mountains, and prairies.

Coyotes eat rabbits, gophers, mice, prairie dogs, rats, squirrels, antelope, goats, sheep, dead cattle, dead deer, and dead elk.

They use their keen sense of smell to find their prey. They have to dig to get rodents. They help farmers by catching these rodent

The coyote (also called a prairie wolf or brush wolf) lives all over North America. A coyote has pointed ears, a long snout (or nose) and green wolf-like eyes. Its body is 0.75 to 1 meter (2.5 to 3 feet) long. They are a reddish-blond of arid-zone color and ranging to a light grey.

Night is the most frequent time when coyotes are out. They also come out at dawn and dusk. They have sharp barks and howls.

Coyotes live in places like Panama (down south) to the north slopes of Alaska. Now coyotes live in every state but Hawaii. The eastern coyote ( a darker color), has appeared in cities in or around New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania, and some in the eastern states. But most coyotes live on farm land or in forests. On the next page there is a map of Alberta and where most of the coyotes live. There is a actual size paw print down below.

Coyotes mostly eat things like rabbits and rodents ("yuck")! They also eat insects, fish, lizards, frogs, garbage scraps and porcupines. After their supper they feast on ripe fruit. Sometimes coyotes sneak onto farmers' land and sample berries and watermelon, sometimes even the ripest ones! Coyotes also eat dead animals too.

Coyotes are very interesting animals to learn about.

They are also very smart animals and have been around for many years. If you would like to learn more about coyotes there are many books on them at your school library and local library.

4.In my report you will find out about what coyotes do, how many teeth they have, how much they weigh and where they're found, what they eat and how they have fun.

Coyotes mainly live in North America, Europe and Asia.

Most coyotes have 42 teeth and usually weigh 95 pounds. They are 25-33 feet long without their tail and 30-40 feet with it. They can run up to 35-40 kilometers an hour! Coyotes usually hunt in singles or in herds with others rather than in packs. They hunt for carrion birds, large insects or rodents. When they're chasing rabbits they can reach the speed of 60 km per hour.

Coyotes are related to dogs. They both like to lick, to run and to chase things. The differences between them are dogs are usually owned and coyotes howl at the moon, eat wild animals and are wild.

Dogs live in or by their owners and like to chase things for fun and they eat mostly food from a can. Most coyotes mate for all of their lives.

Coyotes are members of the dog family except they are more wild than an original dog.

Most people think that coyotes are pests and that they eat the farmers chickens and howl at the moon. They actually help the farmers by getting rid of all of the mice and birds.

Adult coyotes are varied in colour. They can be from yellowish gray to yellowish brown. When they are hunting in the summer they can camouflage themselves.

Coyotes are also known by the name of brush wolves. They are an intermediate size between a wolf and a fox.

The coyote often resembles a German Shepherd with pointy ears and they have a flat forehead and a bushy tail which is rather low.

In a female litter of pups they usually have 5-7. The maximum they have is nineteen. They usually breed in February and it takes 60-63 days. Later on in late April or May they start feeding at one year and then for the rest of their lives.

One of the most trickiest animals is a coyote. In real life coyotes are really clever animals.

When people started to move into Canada coyotes had to learn to survive in the mountains and to keep themselves from dying.

5.The appearance of the coyote is quite similar to the wolf, but the coyote is one third the size of the wolf and has 42 teeth. Their ears are pointed and wide enabling them to hear much farther than humans can. Their color blends in with their surroundings around them. They are 112cm to 137cm in size and weigh about 25 kg

The coyote family is called "Canidas".

Coyotes range from Costa-Rica to Alaska, but are found mostly in grasslands of North America.

Coyotes eat just about anything

they can find, including garbage. They hunt at night so they can sneak up on their prey.

The enemies of the coyote are bears, wolves and humans. Coyotes can escape their enemies easier because they are great swimmers. They also regulate their body temperature by panting.

I copyed and pasted these facts at the following link: http://www.kidsop.com/coyfact.htm
Last edited by Koa on Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Thread topic title changed to make it more generalized. Thread merged with similar thread.

MsGoldenMC4

Re: Coyote Information(IMPORTANT INFORMATION)

Post by MsGoldenMC4 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:00 am

Thanks for sharing this IMPORTANT INFORMATION about Coyotes!

jaguartail
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by jaguartail » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:48 am

Thanks for making this guide, it will surely be helpful in the future!

Titanic 2
Pup
Pup

Post by Titanic 2 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:00 am

Thanks for sharing Smoke! It will really help for those that have a question about Coyotes
Hissing Cat avatar by- LupinzPack
The person who needs a signature by- Titanic 2