Novia Scotia Puts Bounty on Coyotes

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Novia Scotia Puts Bounty on Coyotes

Post by Alpha Female » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:57 pm

SYDNEY, N.S. - A coyote bounty begins Friday in Nova Scotia after provincewide reports of aggressive encounters, including a fatal attack on a young woman in Cape Breton Highlands National Park.

The province will pay licensed trappers $20 per pelt and is training 15 trappers to specifically target coyotes that have lost their fear of humans.

Provincial biologist Mike Boudreau said that in cases of coyote aggression, the province will trap on Crown and private lands after first seeking approval of the landowner.

However, he said trappers will proceed without approval in cases of extreme aggression.

There have been numerous reports of coyotes acting aggressively in the province, including the death last fall of Taylor Mitchell, a folksinger from Toronto who was attacked while hiking alone.

Boudreau said traps are usually set at least 275 metres from a dwelling or school.

Coyotes are trapped either in a foothold trap that holds the animal, or by using a snare that kills the animal.

Last year, about 2,200 coyotes were trapped in the province.

According to bounty rules, the province will only deliver the $20 per pelt bonus for pelts sold to fur auction houses.
Source: http://www.globalwinnipeg.com/story.html?id=3658013

I found this article rather interesting though it's fairly short. It's sad to her some people have been attacked and killed by coyotes, but it's also quite sad that their trapping and hunting coyotes now. However, it may be a good thing to keep residents safe.
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Wicked_wolf
Pup
Pup

Re: Novia Scotia Puts Bounty on Coyotes

Post by Wicked_wolf » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:09 pm

Yes, it's sad..but the coyotes are animals and all the animals need food!

More information about the coyotes:
http://www.junglewalk.com/info/coyote-information.htm
xxxXXXxxx I'M A MASTER OF FRIGHT AND A DEMON OF DARK xxxXXXxxx

Nights of evil, filled with fear...
....Your worst dream, that's my idea of fun!
......................... Follow Jack...He'll take good care of you...