Fox's Head Trapped in Watering Can For Days

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Fox's Head Trapped in Watering Can For Days

Post by Alpha Female » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:19 pm

Rubbish can be dangerous to wildlife

A fox was rescued after getting his head wedged inside a discarded watering can for at least two days. The entrapped animal was spotted in an agitated state running around in the back garden of a bungalow in Solihull, near Birmingham.

The RSPCA was called and found the animal so firmly stuck in the plastic container that it took two officers to prise out the animal's fur, a bit at a time, so they could force it off his head and free him. Following the release, the adult male fox was held with a grasper so that the inspectors could check he was not injured in any way and did not need veterinary attention.

He was found to be fit and healthy despite being deprived of food and water for at least two days and so was immediately released back into the wild. The watering can did not belong to the couple who lived at the property where he was found and looked like it had not been in use for some time.

RSPCA Inspector Jonathan Ratcliffe said: "The fox was thrashing about in quite a distressed state when we got there. I have no doubt that he would have died if we had not managed to get the watering can off, either from dehydration or from not seeing where he was going and so being killed by a car. My feeling is that there must have been a mouse or a frog or something at the bottom of the can - some sort of tasty snack which would have attracted him to put his head in. The watering can was covered in moss and mould and looked as if it was litter.

"This only goes to remind people of the dangers such discarded items can pose to wildlife."
Source: http://www.wildlifeextra.com/go/news/fox-trapped.html

Though the article is fairly short is really shows how littering affects wildlife. It's always a good idea to put garbage in it's proper place (the trash can). Pictures of the fox is found on the link provided.
I'm glad that the fox was found and nothing bad happened to him. =3
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

shadowolf

Re: Fox's Head Trapped in Watering Can For Days

Post by shadowolf » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:54 pm

Just goes to show how our human litter affects animals and their health.

Thank you for posting this, Alpha Female.

GunTrigger
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by GunTrigger » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:24 pm

How did it get its head in there in the first place.
Guessing there was some water in the can and it was thirsty.
Or it was curious.
Or stupid.
............GunTrigger
.....Death is mans soloution
...............For man.

I'm that Emo kid from down the block.

Icon: FriduWolf

Eternala
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Eternala » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:02 pm

....Thats.... awkward. When I looked at the picture of the fox with its head in the watering can (I know, I know, this isn't a laughing matter...) I giggled. But I feel sorry for the little guy. I wouldn't like my head being lodged in a can!

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:56 pm

It's good that the RSPCA found the fox and were able to free him before he could injure himself. :)

Indeed shows how we shouldn't litter around. You hear too often about animals getting their heads stuck in human litter, or getting sick out of it etc. Thanks for sharing this with us, Alpha Female!

Atropine
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Atropine » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:39 pm

It's really unfortunate that this incident happened in the first place - I suppose people should be more vigilant when it comes to disposing any form of litter. At least the fox was freed and released back into the wild without any harm done. c:

Thanks for sharing this article with us, Alpha Female^^

Mercury2421
Pup
Pup

Post by Mercury2421 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:25 pm

I wonder why that little guy wanted to stick his head in a watering can. Well people could learn a lesson or two from this article. Thanks for posting this!
Keep reaching for Paradise!
Avvie by Meh <3