'Extinct’ Fox Rediscovered in California

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

'Extinct’ Fox Rediscovered in California

Post by Alpha Female » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:28 pm

Rare Red Fox Sighting Confirmed

The US National Forest Service have announced the recent sighting of a Sierra Nevada red fox (Vulpes vulpes necator), in the area where the Humboldt-Toiyabe and Stanislaus National Forests and Yosemite National Park come together. The Sierra Nevada red fox has never occurred in high numbers, and it is known to have suffered when non native foxes were introduced. The lack of any record of the fox for more than 10 years had led scientists to think that it was probably extinct.

This summer, the Forest Service has been conducting monitoring activities with motion sensitive cameras to detect the presence of the elusive fisher and marten, two forest carnivores known to frequent the High Sierra.

Surprised observers
While checking photographs on August 11, 2010, Forest Service wildlife biologists, Sherri Lisius, from the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest, and Adam Rich, from the Stanislaus National Forest, identified a photo believed to be that of a red fox. Surprised by what they saw, the Forest Service biologists consulted with California Department of Fish and Game (CDFG). The only known population of Sierra Nevada red fox since the 1920s occurred in the Lassen Peak region - about 150 miles to the north.

Not seen here since 1920s

Recent survey efforts by CDFG in the Sierra Nevada have failed to detect red foxes south of the Lassen area, making the Forest Service detection significant. "The last known sighting of a Sierra Nevada red fox in the Sonora Pass area was sometime in the 1920s," said Mike Crawley, Bridgeport District Ranger. "Needless to say, we are quite surprised and excited by this find."

DNA testing - Distinct population
The Sonora Pass population of the Sierra Nevada red fox carried a genetic signature seen previously only in museum specimens collected before 1926. Analysis of hair found on the tree supporting the motion sensitive camera allowed UC Davis veterinary geneticists to identify it as originating from a Sierra Nevada red fox, distinct from the Lassen Peak population.

Wildlife biologists from the Forest Service, CDFG, and the University of California, Davis, will set-up additional monitoring stations to gather more information on the presence of Sierra Nevada red fox in the area of Sonora Pass.
Source: http://www.wildlifeextra.com/go/news/si ... a-fox.html

I think this is great news.^^
It's great to hear the 'thought to be extinct' species of red fox is rediscovered in Sonora Pass. I hope they continue to monitor the species and take better precautions so it doesn't end up extinct. =3
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Re: 'Extinct’ Fox Rediscovered in California

Post by Masika » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:01 pm

This is indeed lovely news to hear, its always nice to hear that an animal has been 'rediscovered' after being classified as 'extinct'. And I have to say about the name of the fox, its quite an interesting name, it seems to ring a bell a bit. Thanks for posting this nice article, Alpha! ^^
« A PRIVATE LIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE.»
•••
Icon (c) coyoteflu

Jayness
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Jayness » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:30 pm

What wonderful news, I'm so glad whenever animals escape extinction. =)
..................αsριηε
......ωσℓfqυεsт cσммυηιтy мεмвεя

..Why run if you're already skinny?

Previously Aspine
──────────────────────────────

Atropine
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Atropine » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:03 am

Aw, I love stories like these - it's incredible news to hear that an animal thought to be extinct (especially for 10 years) has been rediscovered. Thanks for sharing this with us, Alpha Female^^

moonshadowwalker
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by moonshadowwalker » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:01 pm

Thats terrific news!! I hope the species recovers well. best of luck to them! :)
I stalk the night, the day, the dreams. searching for someone, is it you? have you seen me?
PM me if you do!!
I'm helping the Decepticons take over, AAaarrrroooooooooooooooo

Eternala
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Eternala » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:18 am

Oh wow... Thats very neat. I hope the fox breed recovers! I love it when people discover a long thought to be extinct animal.