Mutant Canine???

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Siarnaq
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Mutant Canine???

Post by Siarnaq » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:36 pm

Ok, so I live in Maine, and I heard about some kind of thing that was going around killing dogs, cats, and coyotes in a certain area. I've never heard of Maine having something like a cryptid before. What do you guys think? I mean come on, it has BLUE gums, people. :? :?:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,208683,00.html

http://news.mongabay.com/2006/0816-mutant.html
As white as snow, I strike from nowhere.

Zethra

Re: Mutant Canine???

Post by Zethra » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:53 pm

Chances are that it's a canine with a disease and isn't a mutant. There is a disease that affects them, that makes their skin look weird and their hair fall out. It could also affect the gums aswell as the body. (making the body look misshaped ect.)

This is often mistaken when it comes to the Chupacabra, which is supposedly a "new species of canine", "paranormal creature" and a lot of other nicknames - included a mutated canine. (after doing research on this "species" and seeing various things on paranormal research with it)
............'..........Avatar by Zethra

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:04 pm

I believe it's just a feral dog, as stated in the article link you provided:
UPDATE: The Associated Press reported Thursday that Loren Coleman, a Portland author and cryptozoologist, examined the beast and believed it was a feral dog. State wildlife biologists and local animal control officers did not examine the animal.

A feral animal is one that has escaped from domestication and returned to its wild state.
Source: http://news.mongabay.com/2006/0816-mutant.html
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

honeylove2001
Pup
Pup

Post by honeylove2001 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:09 pm

Zethra wrote:Chances are that it's a canine with a disease and isn't a mutant. There is a disease that affects them, that makes their skin look weird and their hair fall out. It could also affect the gums aswell as the body. (making the body look misshaped ect.)

This is often mistaken when it comes to the Chupacabra, which is supposedly a "new species of canine", "paranormal creature" and a lot of other nicknames - included a mutated canine. (after doing research on this "species" and seeing various things on paranormal research with it)
Alpha Female wrote:I believe it's just a feral dog, as stated in the article link you provided:
UPDATE: The Associated Press reported Thursday that Loren Coleman, a Portland author and cryptozoologist, examined the beast and believed it was a feral dog. State wildlife biologists and local animal control officers did not examine the animal.

A feral animal is one that has escaped from domestication and returned to its wild state.
Source: http://news.mongabay.com/2006/0816-mutant.html
Yes It Can Be A Canine With A Disease, I Have Heard Of A Chupacabra, It Could Be That As Well, It Could've Been A Feral Dog Also!
ϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟ

Zasha
ℓєα∂єя σƒ Ŧøṝešт P̅̅αтṝıøтš
Warrior Cats Fan
WildQuest Book Author

ϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟϟ

Lavawnder
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Lavawnder » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:30 pm

It does look somewhat like a dog, though. A feral dog would be a possible explanation, but disease could have caused it. What are the chances of the animal to be a different species?
///////A R C A N A - I M P E R I I
//////pulvis et umbra sumus . . .
///////. . . we are dust and shadow
///////_____________________
////////Dame Lavender
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45801
///////_____________________

Siarnaq
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Siarnaq » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:13 am

What?! :shock: A chupracabra in Maine?! you have got to be kidding me...
Although they did say it was of a different size proportion. :|
As white as snow, I strike from nowhere.

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:28 am

I'm actually not to sure about it being a "feral dog", considering the look of it, it looks more like it had some sort of disease.
Zethra wrote:I forget the name of the disease, but I think it disconfigures the body of the animal to make it look odd. The animal also gains a shade of blue and looses it's hair, hence the 'reptilian' look.

The skull of the creature, from what research I've gathered, seams to be that of a Canid. A Canid, being a coyote.
El Chupacabre supposivly found as a new breed of wild dog... http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... a#p1441452

You can also visit the same topic for more information, though it is a rather old topic (it's dead) so the only use it would have is for information currently. ^^" (last post was: August 4th, 2010, 6:49 am)

Though the chances of it being another dog, with a disease, similar to that of what was stated there.. could also be the case. (meaning it could be what Alpha Female said; but something to cause the blue gums and the fur missing in areas)

-x-Zaroque-x-
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by -x-Zaroque-x- » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:20 pm

Ahh yes, I've heard of this, it's getting well known now, I've got a bit of History of them from good old Wiki:
History
The first reported attacks occurred in March 1995 in Puerto Rico. In this attack, eight sheep were discovered dead, each with three puncture wounds in the chest area and completely drained of blood. A few months later, in August, an eyewitness, Madelyne Tolentino, reported seeing the creature in the Puerto Rican town of Canóvanas, when as many as 150 farm animals and pets were reportedly killed. In 1975, similar killings in the small town of Moca, were attributed to El Vampiro de Moca (The Vampire of Moca). Initially it was suspected that the killings were committed by a racecar cult; later more killings were reported around the island, and many farms reported loss of animal life. Each of the animals had their bodies bled dry through a series of small circular incisions.

Puerto Rican comedian and entrepreneur Silverio Pérez is credited with coining the term chupacabras soon after the first incidents were reported in the press. Shortly after the first reported incidents in Puerto Rico, other animal deaths were reported in other countries, such as the Dominican Republic, Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, Brazil, United States, and Mexico.
Adding to everyone else, DNA tests have been taken out and it has releled that it is a Feral Dog, however:
Some people think diffirently, I sighting in Mexico, a Lady was out at night (Night could be affecting the evidince for poor vision) checking her live stock, she stated it looked like an Alien, standing on two legs, though having four paw. In the second case, a resercher had shone mulitple foot prints of dogs, though, not on all fours like I said earlier, though standing on two legs, a whole family, so this shows that they might me breeding.
In addition, some other people say it's something from Space like an alien or something, though thats highly unlikley.
I hope this might give you an idea to press further.
..../\/\/\/...........------- Who am I? -------
.........../..........I'm Captain Jack Sparrow!

............\/\/\/.....Avatar © Gingerwolff <3

Asheek
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Asheek » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:45 pm

I think it's a new species or breed. I don't know of and canine sickness that makes the hind legs longer than the fore ones.
................................α s h є є k
.................קг๏ย๔ ๒єtค Ŧє๓คlє ๏Ŧ tђє รtคг lเﻮђt קคςк

Adalae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Adalae » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:30 pm

That's really interesting, especially the pictures. I've never heard of this [well, I have heard of Chupacabra of course]. As said before, it might be some kind of disease... that really is interesting though.

Thanks for sharing ^_^
"Its not one of those things you can fix like you fix your bow tie.
.......... Dont give me those big wet eyes, Raggedy Man."

http://tinyurl.com/thefourclans

Keeva
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Keeva » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:19 pm

I honestly think its a dog mix. It looks a lot like an akita mix, or even a chow mix. I dont think it a mutant but a compleat mutt that was never owned by anyone. Its not rare for wild mutts to have puppies and when the puppies grow up, they are not going to trust humans so they are timid and aggressive to humans. I doute this dog mix is demonic, he was just afraid of humans. There are also dog breeds that are famouse for having blue tongues so i wouldnt be surprized if this dog mix had chow in it. (chows are famouse for their blue tongues)

Here is the supposid "mutant" dog: http://photos.mongabay.com/06/0816beast1.jpg

And heres the akita that which looks a lot like the dead dog mix: http://www.cryptomundo.com/wp-content/Kovu604.jpg

I also believe that desease could have something to do with this.
He's your friend, partner and defender. You are his life, love and leader. He will be yours until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
In honor of the Rottweiler
Proud alpha female of the Lakota Silverpaw Pack

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:37 am

It does look a lot like that you're right, the only issue is the blue tint in the coat color, the miss-colored gums, and the missing patches.
Although, it could easily have a disease to cause this, so it could have been an Akita with a disease or infection.

Blue_Stone
Pup
Pup

Post by Blue_Stone » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:26 am

Woah! I live next to Maine or possibly somewhere near and I dont want to find that in my yard! Thats very strange, It could be diseased or something.

Jayness
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Jayness » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:43 pm

Thats very odd.. and scary. :|
..................αsριηε
......ωσℓfqυεsт cσммυηιтy мεмвεя

..Why run if you're already skinny?

Previously Aspine
──────────────────────────────

IndianWolves
Pup
Pup
Location: Howling at the moon with Wolves , Comanches ,and Apaches!

Post by IndianWolves » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:18 am

I've seen much on this "hybrid '' in maine . most say Chow mix which would exsplain blue gums it is common in the chow breed infact chows and shar peis are some of the only breeds with this unusual gene also hair falling out the chow is a thick haired breed its got to shed or for thicker haired breeds ''blow out'' thier coats and chubicobra ( sorry if spelt incorrectly) is out of the question thats near Mexico and some say that the dire wolf has came back into exsistens i think greatly NOT :!: chow mix is the most logical
hi-la-hi ka-li-i hi-a da-na-wa-nv-ne-hi a-le a-la-s-di i-tsu-la
Go through the warpath and fight together.
CHEROKEE

I'm A mixed up Native American got a problem ?