What canines have you seen?

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

commonjay
Pup
Pup

Re: What canines have you seen?

Post by commonjay » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:06 am

My parents live near a foresty area and I used to see plenty of foxes there. We also thought we saw a coyote once, as there was one rumored to be in the area, but it turned out to actually be a crane.

All the rest I've seen have been at zoos/in captivity. I've just pretty recently gotten into wolves, and would really like to see one at one point also.
An awful dude, but a pretty okay kazoo player.

MsGoldenMC4

Post by MsGoldenMC4 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:43 am

A couple years ago (or maybe last year idk) when one of my sisters and I were walking our two dogs through this woodsy area, we saw two foxes and assumed one was a male and the other female. It was the first time i've ever seen wild foxes.

2wolf22
Pup
Pup

Post by 2wolf22 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:20 am

I have seen one coyote behind our fence. There are apparently some coyote where I live that even bother some people, but I just wanna see another. :|

The Dancing Demon
Pup
Pup
Name: Rak

Post by The Dancing Demon » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:52 pm

I've seen coyotes and foxes. Nothing really much other than that.

Reiwynn
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Reiwynn » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:32 pm

Grey wolves and dholes (Asiatic wild dog) in captivity. Red foxes and coyotes in the wild.

Mwitu
Pup
Pup

Post by Mwitu » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:59 pm

I've seen foxes multiple times and may have seen a coyote once (these are in the wild).

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:16 am

I witnessed a wild fox for the first time while on a trip in the country of Missouri. Outside of that, I’ve never encountered canids in the wild, but I have met captive wolves up close, waved at a pair of captive Arctic Foxes and a European Gray Fox, and viewed captive coyotes within enclosures.
||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||ЖЖЖ||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||
Writing is a job, a talent,
but it's also the place to go inside your head.
It's the imaginary friend you drink tea
with in the afternoon.
||,.°`°.,||Ж||,.°`°.,||
sig/quote © Kamaal/Ann Patchett

Loach
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Jess

Post by Loach » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:48 am

I've seen coyote and fox.

The coyote had been out on the lake ice and I was lucky to have binoculars to watch it. The fox, I was on a trail and had walked over a bridge, and the sound of my feet jostling the loose wood startled the fox from underneath.

Mostly only see their tracks now this time of year. They're quite sneaky.
DeviantArt
returning member from ancient times

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:10 am

I saw a coyote a few years ago at my uncle's property. I've also heard a few vocalizing behind my house, though I don't think that really counts. I've also seen many foxes before, including one that was right out in my backyard.

Dinoman9877
Pup
Pup

Post by Dinoman9877 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:30 am

In the past year I have seen both a coyote and a fox for the first time.

The coyote was walking along a road I was driving down, one that goes through a still heavily forested area. It paused for a moment to look into the trees then kept going. I slowly drove past and went on my way. I'd heard coyotes vocalizing at night plenty of times before this, but this was the first time I've seen one.

The first and only fox I've seen, sadly, was dead. It happened just a few weeks ago. I was driving toward that same road I had seen the coyote on, just about to leave town, when I saw the remains of a fox that had been hit on the road. I could tell it was a fox because the front half was still in tact. It made me rather sad that this was my first encounter with them.

These encounters also have me extremely concerned. As far as I know, neither foxes nor coyotes really ever came this close to town before now. It tells me that they must be struggling more than usual to find food this winter, and I'm wondering just how long it's going to be before someone or their pet is attacked, and who knows how many stray animals they've already attacked?

alebrije
Yearling
Yearling

Post by alebrije » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:41 am

It's actually kind of a silly story, but I saw a coyote for the first time while driving on some side-roads close to home. It wasn't until my daughter exclaimed there was a "dog" on the side of the road, and my fiancee and I stopped immediately to see if we could help the "dog." Its because of playing WQ that I knew it was a coyote and immediately left it alone as it didn't look injured, but my significant other didn't believe me until I showed her photos afterwards.

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Post by elkhunter123456 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:05 pm

i have seen lots of foxes in my backyard! a couple times they have a rabbit or squirrel in their mouth!
prey:
hare
beaver
mule deer
elk
moose
competitors:
raven
eagle
fox
coyote
wolf