What canines have you seen?

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Redwalker

Re: Have you ever seen a WILD Coyote?

Post by Redwalker » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:03 pm

Someone I knew said she saw one. Her dog almost went for it, but she kept him from it. This happened in florida btw but as for myself, i have never seen a wild coyote.
,.°`°.,
xoxo, Gossip Girl
,.°`°.,

ZeRivet
Former WQ Moderator

Post by ZeRivet » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:49 am

I saw one the other day while driving by a cow pasture. There were no cows in it though and there haven't been for a few years now..
| | | “I'm allergic to rocks hitting me in the face.” | | |
Avatar (C) me | Quote (C) Mark Rowe| All The Rocks

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:50 pm

I saw one about two weeks ago, and it was incredible. We usually don't see coyotes around here, although there have been a few spotted in the region, but they are just not abundant here as they are in other areas. It was in a neighborhood that is still being developed, so there was lots of woodland surrounding the area. Our car passed by and he crossed the street after we did so.

calxmity
WQ Report Team Retiree
WQ Report Team Retiree

Post by calxmity » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:42 pm

Indeed I have. (:
In Chicago visiting my family, I was in bed when a howl-like bark came along, looked out my window, and there stood a coyote. It apparently caught sight of me, and fled as I approached. I acually got in on video, but it got wiped out on my phone.
green - cavetown

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Sambhur » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:43 am

I've never seen a wild coyote, and I don't think I've ever seen one before in real life, which makes me a bit jealous to see that you all have. :C Here in Australia, I don't believe we have a population of wild coyotes, so the closest thing I've seen to a wild 'yote would probably be a red fox crossing my street. :L

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:07 am

I've never actually seen a coyote, at all. Bit strange considering that there are coyotes out where I live - my dad hears them sometimes - but oh well. I don't remember seeing them in zoos, either. Maybe wild ones are just too common here for that, and I'm the only one who hasn't seen one ^^;
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

[wisteria]
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by [wisteria] » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:20 am

Yep, a few times when I was younger. Not recently though, and the memories are rather vague, but I have seen them.
-------------
-------------------
----------------------
but lately her face seems,
slowly sinking,
wasting...

-------------------------
-------------------
--------------

Tapir
Pup
Pup

Post by Tapir » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:21 pm

I see coyotes quite often.
Where I live, there are a large amount of wildlife. I see coyotes at least once a month and just recently, I spotted a coyote about a year or less in age. Its fur color was a kind of cream - almost white, but not quite. It had pretty big ears that reached high in the air, and it had gaunt, skinny legs that looked like they didn't work very well. Besides its almost sickly look, it was amazing to see the animal. It moved quickly with awareness of its surroundings and I was surprised and enjoyed to see that the coyote wasn't too afraid of my presence. I enjoy watching them and I hope to see many more.

Pamuya-Blucat
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Pamuya-Blucat » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:50 pm

While I've never seen a living one, I've seen perfect carcasses that I think my grandfather shot and I've heard plenty of them howling and such at night. This was in Tucumcari, New Mexico (middle of nowhere in a desert for those of you unfamiliar with the state).
Is it at all possible to turn on coding other than BBcode for the signatures?
I made an image specifically for this...

Paxis
Pup
Pup

Post by Paxis » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:27 am

Yep, I have! When living in a small suburban city you're not really supposed to see them, but a couple years back there was a coyote problem where they found their way here. I ended up seeing one on the side of the road watching the cars and then running back into the wooded area it was peeking outside of. It was pretty neat. (:

´*.¨¯`**¨¯`*
Username in-game is Paxis and wolf is Azura

candypanda
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by candypanda » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:13 am

They're quite populous where I live, however they're also very elusive. I've seen several for such brief moments that their presence is surreal, but they are definitely around because of the racket they make at night. Other than those moments I've only seen one up close, when I was at a friends house after dark. I saw a silhouette of a skinny dog with pointed ears at the top of the hill, and because I was curious I got closer to it, despite my friend's warnings to be careful. Once I got close enough to identify it as a coyote, it scuttled a few feet back and proceed to roll over and wiggle on it's back before running away into the woods. I was a bit disappointed because I thought it was adorable, but then again I wasn't going to go be affectionate to a coyote.

BestWolfForever
Pup
Pup

Post by BestWolfForever » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:38 pm

Ya, here there quite common where i live (Arizona). We have them constantly walking in our backyard, or acoss the street. They seem to get used to humans, but they still stay a safe distance away.
╔╗╔╗╔══╗╔╗╔═╗╔╗╔╗
║║║║║╔╗║║║║║║║║║║
║╚╝║║║║║║║║║║║║║║
║╔╗║║║║║║║║║║║║║║
║║║║║╚╝║║╚╝║╚╝║║╚═╗
╚╝╚╝╚══╝╚══╩══╝╚══╝

Please click my pet:

http://www.petadoptworld.com/pages/petpage.asp?petid=9700

Grin
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Grin » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:55 am

I see packs of them occasionally. Lots of them sneak into the horse racing track at night, and they roam all around the neighborhoods and such too. A few months back, one somehow trapped itself in our gated park and attacked my cat. She had a big hole in her side for a while.

___┍ ɢ ʀ ɪ ɴ ┑___

▔▔┕ ʜ ᴏ ᴜ ɴ ᴅ ┙▔▔

xXNanakokunXx
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by xXNanakokunXx » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:38 am

Yeah I've seen a wild one before, on my way to my dads there's this train track and an empty lot that use to be some kind of fast food place. Anyways it was drinking from a puddle and had a brownish muddy kind of coat.

I saw another one there too before that I believe.
They call me Ghost, because I am the ghost of a past wolf...

caninesrock
Pup
Pup

Post by caninesrock » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:54 am

I saw one run into a ditch on the side of the road once,but that's the only time I've seen a wild one. The only other time I saw a coyote was once at a zoo.