African Wild Dog

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Yogi

Re: African Wild Dog

Post by Yogi » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:23 am

is there one type of AWD?

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:19 am

Yogi, African Wild Dogs are the only species in the genus Lycaon, but there are five recognised subspecies:
  • Lycaon pictus pictus
    Lycaon pictus lupinus
    Lycaon pictus manguensis
    Lycaon pictus sharicus
    Lycaon pictus somalicus
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

CLBaileyi
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by CLBaileyi » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:20 pm

Embry states:
Yogi, African Wild Dogs are the only species in the genus Lycaon, but there are five recognised subspecies:

Lycaon pictus pictus
Lycaon pictus lupinus
Lycaon pictus manguensis
Lycaon pictus sharicus
Lycaon pictus somalicusAugust's User of the Month.
Actually, according to the biologists and taxonomists that study African wild dogs, they do NOT recognise separate subspecies. There has been discussion in 1993 that initially suggested the existence of separate subspecies in estern and southern Africa. However, there aren't any geographical boundaries to separate them and animals that have had samples taken show that there is a mixture of the two regional populations. More information can be found at the canid.org website, under the Canids Action plan, at http://www.canids.org/cap/index.htm, in the African Wild Dog section that begins on page 174. Another link is to the African Wild Dog Actin Plan at http://www.canids.org/PUBLICAT/AWDACTPL/wldogtoc.htm. Currently, the species is listed as Lycaon pictus.
" Many people think that conservation is just saving fluffy animals - what they don't realize is that conservation is war to prevent the human race from committing suicide. " Gerald Durrell (1925-1995)

Canidae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Canidae » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:34 pm

Wow, thanks for that link. That PDF file was really interesting and informative! I'll be keeping that link for future reference. :mrgreen:
Like animal photography? Check out my Deviantart account:
http://familycanidae.deviantart.com/

Upendi
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Upendi » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:22 pm

I love african wild dogs. The first time I saw one I was mesmirized by its beauty. It inspired me to make a book about a pack of them.
Run with the eagle, Howl with the pack, Cry with the moon.

Kakashi Hatake

Post by Kakashi Hatake » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:25 pm

African Wild Dogs are beautiful creatures.There one of my fav. animals!

Stonei
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Stonei » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:32 am

I really love this animal. They are very beautiful and their quirks are adorable, such as the chirping^^
It is a shame that hey are endangered, and I am sure not many humans know much about this creature.
They have a fascinating way of life^^ -

African Wild Dogs are very social animals that live in packs of 5-20 individuals; rarely as many as 60. They fill the ecological role or niche of the wolf in Africa. One of the most efficient of all predators, they do not hesitate to attack small hares or large zebras. They specialize in preying on medium-sized antelope including Thomson's gazelle, impala, kob, lechwe and springbok. This species does not hunt in relays but rather depends on endurance that is greater than their prey. They can run at about 35 m.p.h. for 3 miles or more.

They hunt mainly around dawn and dusk because they rely on sight when hunting. The pack will hunt at least once a day. If there are youngsters present at the kill, the adults will allow them to eat first unlike lions. They do not defend territories except in the vicinity of occupied dens. Only the dominant breeding pair urine mark. There is very little overt aggression among pack members. The social arrangement is extraordinary because they are the exact opposite of those in most other social mammals such as lions and elephants.

African Wild Dogs rarely live in the wild beyond 9-10 years.

I found thsese fact and a lot more information on these amazing creatures, at this site^^

http://www.honoluluzoo.org/african_hunting_dog.htm
~WQ UoTM~
June-2010

~ I support - The Fdshfbvsk Band ~

Happy Holidays!

My avatar shop - http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=26981

Little Brook

Post by Little Brook » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:10 pm

Nice info, Stonei!

I love these animals; they're simply magnificent. I especially love the markings; they are such a challenge to draw, but they're wonderful animals. I hear they're Vulnerable/Endangered? Anyway, I play Zoo Tycoon, and they're my favorite animals. :3

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:49 pm

Amazing creatures these Wild Dogs are. :wink: I was up close and personal with one a couple months ago in the African bush. If you would like to hear more/why I was in the African bush just send me a quick message. :wink:
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:52 pm

These canids are absolutely gorgeous. They have such a unique coat; I love it.
Little Brook wrote:I hear they're Vulnerable/Endangered?
Yes, I do believe they are Endangered.

shadowwolf2234
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by shadowwolf2234 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:06 am

They are endangered, I love their coat, the pattern is so beautiful.

Nightskydapple
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: Waiting for "Her" to turn back and realise I'm here enduring the pain.

Post by Nightskydapple » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:08 pm

They have VERY good patterns and mixture of color.
Its... Sad that they're endangered :(
~Yeah I'm smiling,[/color]Inside dieing.~
Behind this fake mask of mine,
Paper thin lies, what I wished for most is a paper heart,
then you can't come and destroy and tear it apart like you
did to my last one.~

Stonei
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Stonei » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:39 pm

It's terrible that they have become endangered, I love this animal very much and they are very beautiful. I would love for the next generations of people to be able to see more of these creatures^^

The African wild dog, also called Cape hunting dog or painted dog, typically roams the open plains and sparse woodlands of sub-Saharan Africa.

These long-legged canines have only four toes per foot, unlike other dogs, which have five toes on their forefeet. The dog's Latin name means "painted wolf," referring to the animal's irregular, mottled coat, which features patches of red, black, brown, white, and yellow fur. Each animal has its own unique coat pattern, and all have big, rounded ears.

African wild dogs live in packs that are usually dominated by a monogamous breeding pair. The female has a litter of 2 to 20 pups, which are cared for by the entire pack. These dogs are very social, and packs have been known to share food and to assist weak or ill members. Social interactions are common, and the dogs communicate by touch, actions, and vocalizations.

African wild dogs hunt in formidable, cooperative packs of 6 to 20 (or more) animals. Larger packs were more common before the dogs became endangered. Packs hunt antelopes and will also tackle much larger prey, such as wildebeests, particularly if their quarry is ill or injured. The dogs supplement their diet with rodents and birds. As human settlements expand, the dogs have sometimes developed a taste for livestock, though significant damage is rare. Unfortunately, they are often hunted and killed by farmers who fear for their domestic animals.

African hunting dogs are endangered. They are faced with shrinking room to roam in their African home. They are also quite susceptible to diseases spread by domestic animals.

source- http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/a ... nting-dog/
~WQ UoTM~
June-2010

~ I support - The Fdshfbvsk Band ~

Happy Holidays!

My avatar shop - http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=26981

Nightskydapple
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: Waiting for "Her" to turn back and realise I'm here enduring the pain.

Post by Nightskydapple » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:21 am

^^ yes agree with you.
~Yeah I'm smiling,[/color]Inside dieing.~
Behind this fake mask of mine,
Paper thin lies, what I wished for most is a paper heart,
then you can't come and destroy and tear it apart like you
did to my last one.~

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:11 am

I'm still the most interested in the genetic color pattern of the AWD's coat: like zebras and tigers, etc, each individual African Wild Dog has a different type of coat, the pattern is never exactly the same on different specimens.

AWD's are really intriguing and endearing animals, it would be a shame if they were to disappear from the planet.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH