"Practice Caution with Coyotes"

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Adalae
Former WQ Moderator

"Practice Caution with Coyotes"

Post by Adalae » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:45 pm

This is a couple excerpts from the local newspaper...

"A large coyote chases Joe England's 107-pound yellow lab, Jake, out of a marsh on England's property north of ____ in _____. England was able to scare the coyote away with his truck, but moments later it re-emerged from the stand of cattails, "and just stood there and looked over its shoulder, as if to challenge us," England said. In light of the growing number of attacks, coyote sightings should not be taken lightly."
Apparently this man, England, was out taking nature photos and his dog wandered off. A coyote started chasing the dog and almost caught him.
"According to Tuesday's edition of Grand View Outdoors, an AP report revealed that a coyote recently attacked a three-year-old girl playing in her backyard in the New York suburb of Rye. It was the second coyote attack on a child in the same suburb within 4 days."
"The latest attack occurred as Rye Police Commissioner William Connors was addressing a group of residents about the previous incident when a pair of coyotes attack a six-year-old-girl in her front yard....... "Coyotes are not cute and cuddly like some misinformed people think"

It seems like they're getting more bold. The newspaper even has a picture of the coyote looking over its shoulder as well as it chasing the dog. Originally they thought the coyote was a wolf, apparently. And both girls that were attacked are okay and were in the hospital for non-life-threatening injuries.
"Its not one of those things you can fix like you fix your bow tie.
.......... Dont give me those big wet eyes, Raggedy Man."

http://tinyurl.com/thefourclans

SolitaryPride
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Re: "Practice Caution with Coyotes"

Post by SolitaryPride » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:52 pm

Hmm, this is very interesting. It is tragic to hear that two young girls have been attacked by the coyotes, but were they killed? or just attacked

Coyotes getting bold is a bad environmental, it must mean they are finding it harder to find food, so they are going into civilization. Either that or they are losing habitat from the houses moving further into there home range

Lets just hope that this can be stopped before it gets to out of hand

Thanks for posting this
Adalae
------------__/\
-------__/------\
------\___------\
---------- /------\
---------/--------\
---------\--------/
----------/-------\
------/\-/---------\
-----/--\'\__--__/
-----\______/
~Matue
African Stars Pack
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45816

Originally: Dacoda
Avvie: Koa

Adalae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Adalae » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:56 pm

Dacoda wrote:Hmm, this is very interesting. It is tragic to hear that two young girls have been attacked by the coyotes, but were they killed? or just attacked

Coyotes getting bold is a bad environmental, it must mean they are finding it harder to find food, so they are going into civilization. Either that or they are losing habitat from the houses moving further into there home range

Lets just hope that this can be stopped before it gets to out of hand

Thanks for posting this
Adalae
The girls were only attacked. It says the most recent one only had a couple scratches. The first example was fine too. Both are in the hospital, I believe.

AlbinoWolf6
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by AlbinoWolf6 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:50 am

Wow, coyotes attacking little girls and trying to take on a 170 pound lab O_o thats insane! Well these animals had to have a reason to attack because an animal will not just attack for fun, like Dacoda said they may be losing habitat or they could just be hungry. Thanks for posting this Adalea!
¸.*¨*`.¸ ωσℓƒQυєѕт cσммυnιту мємвєя ¸.*¨*`.¸
..¸.*¨*`.¸ υn∂ιnє ƒαℓℓѕ ραcк мємвєя ¸.*¨*`.¸
...¸.*¨*`.¸ Avvie by TheGreatAbyss!! Thanks! ¸.*¨*`.¸

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:10 am

That isn't good, but at least the girls are ok. Coyotes getting bolder isn't a good thing in rural areas. Hopefully there can be a half-way point so that the humans there are safe, and so are the coyotes.
Thanks for sharing Adalae.
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:56 am

Wow, that isn't too good. I hope the girl is okay, a sudden coyote attack would have been pretty shocking. Also, with coyotes getting bolder, that isn't too good... hopefully the problem will get solved, without either getting really hurt.
Thanks for posting this Adalae.
............'..........Avatar by Zethra

Adalae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Adalae » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:05 am

You're very welcome^^

There are a lot of coyotes in the woods behind my house. I hope those don't come and try to hurt one of us or my pets (the goats), since this appears to have happened in broad daylight.

soloreclipse
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by soloreclipse » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:19 am

That article was on aol or something. It is very interesting that coyotes would be attacking humans. Since they are usually just run away.
Why are you reading this? You just wasted 2 seconds of your life reading this!!!!

Adalae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Adalae » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:57 am

soloreclipse wrote:That article was on aol or something. It is very interesting that coyotes would be attacking humans. Since they are usually just run away.
It was in my local newspaper, too^^

Zeyote
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Zeyote » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:12 am

Since coyotes are learning to adapt in the urban areas, they know how to behave and defend themselves within human contact. As for this article it reminds me of the conflict in Nova Scotia, Canada.

"Coyotes kill woman on hike in Canadian park
'Very unusual and is not likely to be repeated,' wildlife biologist says"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33509516/ns ... -americas/

These coyotes attacks seem to be happening more then usual, most likely since their environment is being destroyed.

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:59 am

Coyotes, much like foxes, can adapt well to urban environments. They will lose their fear of things like humans and cars, etc.

However, coyotes taking their boldness into this level sounds more like the behavior of coywolves (wolf/coyote hybrids), OR habituated coyotes that have been oriented to people resulting in losing the natural instincts of avoiding and fearing people.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Zeyote
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Zeyote » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:09 pm

Unfortunately it appears so. I don't think the problem can be resolved considering the problem's already came this far. Most communities in west of Canada seem to have problems with live stock lose as well as missing pets, or destroyed property.

http://skinnymoose.com/onstand/2010/01/ ... n-coyotes/