pet foxs

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Zethra

Re: pet foxs

Post by Zethra » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:26 pm

Yes exactly, you would need atleast two of them unless you are willing to spend your entire day with them. Like wolves, they need constant interaction or else they will get lonely and will over time get depressed due to boredom and little socialization.
............'..........Avatar by Zethra

x-Riley-x
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Post by x-Riley-x » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:38 pm

Your goal should be to encourage their most natural behaviors while also establishing a strong bond with them. Without these elements, your pet will become stressed in captivity.
Source: http://www.ehow.com/how_2046502_care-pet-fox.html

They would need a strong bond with them or else, they may turn on you and attack / lash out. Even if these animals are tamed they could still act wild for the instincts are still there.

Even with that I would advice against getting any wild animal as a pet since they are always still wild at heart.

As this following article reads, I must agree with it..

Keeping wild animals as pets can be appealing, but it is important to remember that keeping a wild animal as a pet is associated with many potential problems, not to mention legal and ethical issues. Keeping wild animals as pets requires a great deal of research and preparation, as well as provision of ideal housing and diet as well as medical care (which may be very difficult to find). That said, in the world of exotic pets there are wild animals that can be a real handful (potentially destructive or dangerous) and those that are less of a challenge.
Source: http://exoticpets.about.com/od/choosing ... alpets.htm
I M A G I N E . D R A G O N S
﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋
--Now don't you understand.
'I'm never changing who I am.

﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

tears_of_hope
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by tears_of_hope » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:23 am

i myself wouldn't own one but ive heard of heaps who do. some times owning a wild animal can end badly. theres many stories of ppl who get killed by there exotic pets, such as the man killed by his tiger in Canada or the chimp who attacked his owner ect. i don't imagion a fox killing someone but im sure, if not looked after perfectly,it can harm you.
evryone wants to be happy nobody wants to be in pain but u can't have a rainbow...without any rain~ ~lifes a gift, not a right, live evry moment like your last night.~ live, life LARGE

tears_of_hope

Shirra

Post by Shirra » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:36 am

I saw someone with two fennec foxes by the battlefield nearby. Mom was like, "Is that a cat on a leash?" and I looked and yelped, "Ohmaigosh, Mom those are fennec foxes!" and I thus gave her the information regarding fennecs that I obtained from an obsession with Zoo Tycoon II in 6th grade.

But I certainly would not own one as a pet. There is a saying, "You can take the animal out of the wild but you can't take the wild out of the animal." That said, they should remain free. My friend Heather runs an animal rescue for exotic creatures in Florida, and she has a "pet" puma that would have died, but that's okay in my opinion since it's an animal shelter. She doesn't take it on walks or anything... just feeds in and pets it. I'd never do such a thing--I'd be far too scared--but animal shelters are the only places I would care to see a wild animal {aside from its natural habitat}, foxes included. Foxes teeth hurt, I've heard, and I don't want to imagine a fox kit teething. Eeek!

EDIT: got so worked up I forgot to post MY opinion on foxes as pets,,, neep, sorry.
Icon by Riceboy.
I support the Alliance.

Nightskydapple
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: Waiting for "Her" to turn back and realise I'm here enduring the pain.

Post by Nightskydapple » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:32 am

- Shiranui - wrote:I saw someone with two fennec foxes by the battlefield nearby. Mom was like, "Is that a cat on a leash?" and I looked and yelped, "Ohmaigosh, Mom those are fennec foxes!" and I thus gave her the information regarding fennecs that I obtained from an obsession with Zoo Tycoon II in 6th grade.

But I certainly would not own one as a pet. There is a saying, "You can take the animal out of the wild but you can't take the wild out of the animal." That said, they should remain free. My friend Heather runs an animal rescue for exotic creatures in Florida, and she has a "pet" puma that would have died, but that's okay in my opinion since it's an animal shelter. She doesn't take it on walks or anything... just feeds in and pets it. I'd never do such a thing--I'd be far too scared--but animal shelters are the only places I would care to see a wild animal {aside from its natural habitat}, foxes included. Foxes teeth hurt, I've heard, and I don't want to imagine a fox kit teething. Eeek!

EDIT: got so worked up I forgot to post MY opinion on foxes as pets,,, neep, sorry.
Yeah... I still don't agree we should own animals that were natrually wild.
~Yeah I'm smiling,[/color]Inside dieing.~
Behind this fake mask of mine,
Paper thin lies, what I wished for most is a paper heart,
then you can't come and destroy and tear it apart like you
did to my last one.~

fuego_lobo
Yearling
Yearling

Post by fuego_lobo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:48 am

this is strange why would you even want a pet fox? there wild, i understand peopel might feel they are protecting the fox by lucking after it but there actually distroying there way of life i dont understand it.
...........................ƇЄԼЄƧƬƖƛԼ ƇƦЄЄƘ ƤƛƇƘ
..................................Alpha Male :D

Logo created by skinwalker3 <3 thankies for doing it

Can you resist the call of the Wild?

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:18 pm

I don't really think much people understand. Some people just want the pet because they think "oh it's soo cute! I want it I want it!" or "what's it doing out in the poor dirty cold like that? We should save it!" but, most people don't realize what they are actually doing to the poor creature. They don't know that they are taking the fox away from their environment, home, possable packs or families. That's just the way it is, some people would want it and eventualy grow bored of it meanwhile some people know better and will let them be in the wild where they are most safest. Believe it or not, foxes are safer in the wild than in a house/home considering; bugs that are unknown to them, things like dust bunnies, polution in that area, things that shouldn't be fed to them being fed to them. Stuff such as that could cause more harm to them than the usual threats that they have to face.

Some people just don't think, some people do yet it then becomes a hassle.

evulkitty
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by evulkitty » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:09 pm

Yes, Fennec Foxes are legal to own in some places in the US. :) I've never heard anything on other breeds such as Red Foxes, though. . . . :?

ozo123
Pup
Pup

Post by ozo123 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:17 am

Its evil I dont think its right keeping a wild animal in your home unless your a vet and you know what to do!
Join My Pack Today Crimson Leaf Pack!

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:36 am

I oppose on keeping foxes as pets. They can be very nervous, skittish and mischievous, not to mention that the conditions and requirements you have to have to meet their needs can be very difficult. They need space, but also containment (a very large and durable cage), proper nutrition, frequent health checks and shelter.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:47 am

I agree, foxes would be very tricky to take care of. You can't just say "Oh, such a cute little fella I'll take it home!" and then 'adopt' it into your house... that's just, unreasonable to the poor creature. Basically, even though some may think all animals are the same and can be pets, they are not like cats or dogs ect. They are wild animals, and should be left in their natural habitat.

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:06 am

Not to mention that if you take a fox from the wild, it can transmit diseases and pests, etc.

Moonikinz
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Moonikinz » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:44 am

from what i understand you need a license to even own one so I'm sure the people understands what goes with having one as a pet other wise they wouldn't have the license to do so in the first place
Former Founder of Undine Falls Pack/Pack mascot
Former WQ moderator.

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:16 pm

You need a license to own any sort of exotic pet at all. In Finland, it is illegal to own wild animals and there are no licenses, it is strictly against the law. I think that USA should forbid keeping wild animals as pets.

kaikookoo
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Location: I'm over there OH you just missed me I'm over there now OH no

Post by kaikookoo » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:06 pm

Crazy pets you guys got in the US (jk jk) To own a fox you have to be pretty prepared because it'd seem like a hard pet to look after. Like me when I got ferrets, I had to look through so much.
YAY! Rode the WHOLE river by floating in an hour and 15mins!