Maned wolf ? You heard about it?

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

caninesrock
Pup
Pup

Re: Maned wolf ? You heard about it?

Post by caninesrock » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:22 pm

I've seen them before. They look like wolves crossed with red foxes. But actually, they aren't really wolves or foxes nor closely related to either. They are a different genus. Wolves are in the genus Canis,while foxes are in the genus Vulpes, and Maned Wolves are in the genus Chrysocyon. However, if you had to put which one they were actually more closely related to, it would actually be wolves,not foxes. The canid family is divided into 3 groups:basal, lupine,and vulpine. The lupine group or tribe Canini are canids that evolved from the ancestor of true wolves and includes all of the wolf-like canids such as red wolves, gray wolves, ethiopian wolves, eastern wolves, coyotes,black-backed jackals, side-striped jackals, golden jackals, domestic dogs, dingoes, new guinea singing dogs, and any other species or subspecies in the genus Canis plus maned wolves (genus Chrysocyon)african wild dogs((genus lycaon), dholes(genus Cuon), as well as some suprisingly non-wolf-like members such as the bush dog, small-eared dog, and all of the false "foxes" or zorros in South America including the Crab-eating fox, Culpeo, Darwin's fox, Chilla, Pampas fox, Sechuran fox, and Hoary Fox, none of which are actually foxes in spite of their common names and the fact that they have appearances simliar to foxes due to convergent evoluton. The vulpine group or tribe Vulpini includes all true foxes, which evolved from the ancestor of true foxes and includes arctic foxes (genus Alopex), genus Urocyon (including the Gray Fox and Island (Gray) Fox), and Vulpes(the genus of the rest of the true foxes such as red foxes, fennec foxes, kit foxes, swift foxes,Corsac foxes,etc.). Then,lastly, is the basal group which is the group that evolved before the ancestors of foxes and wolves split into two different species and which includes only two species, the raccoon dog or tanuki and the bat-eared "fox" ,another false "fox".

Interestingly, besides the currently exsisting lupine canids, there was another recently extinct lupine canid, the warrah, also sometimes called the Falkland Islands Wolf or Falkland Isands Fox. It looked simliar to the false "foxes" or zorros of mainland South America. However, recent DNA analayasis has revealed that it's closest living relative was actually the Maned Wolf, not the zorros. However, even the warrah was not that closely related to the Maned Wolf because its genus was Dusicyon.

Sources:
http://www.canids.org/species/Chrysocyon_brachyurus.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrah
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canidae
http://www.caninest.com/meet-the-canida ... true-dogs/
http://www.caninest.com/the-canidae-fam ... and-basal/

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:05 pm

I found out about these guys through the internet and think they are beautiful and awesome!

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Post by duskypack » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:07 pm

I have seen maned wokves before at a zoo and listened to a demonstration about them. They are beautiful and fascinating creatures, but it's a little annoying when they are confused with Wolves.
¯~_°. .°_~¯
Night is now falling, so ends this day.
The road is now calling, and I must away.
Over hill and under tree, through lands where never light has shone.
By silver streams that run down to the sea.
¯~_°. .°_~¯

Lyrics - The Last Goodbye by Billy Boyd
Av/Sig - Koa/Raven

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:10 pm

duskypack wrote:but it's a little annoying when they are confused with Wolves.
I KNOW aahhh
I understand why they get confused with actual wolves but it still bothers me even though it really shouldn't. It's why I try to make it a point that they aren't wolves in anything involving them or in things like the Pack Central rules.
Maned wolves are probably my favorite canids though, I love their everything <3
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

Keytone
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Keytone » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:41 pm

I obviously love maned wolves. Would be cool to see one in real life one day.
-
Icon - Riceboy

PeltOfAsh
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Ash

Post by PeltOfAsh » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:16 pm

I'd heard about them before, but last night I was coaxed into doing more research into them. Pretty cool.

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Post by duskypack » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:11 pm

They should be called something like 'Maned Canids' or Maned Dogs, since there is an African Wild Dog.
¯~_°. .°_~¯
Night is now falling, so ends this day.
The road is now calling, and I must away.
Over hill and under tree, through lands where never light has shone.
By silver streams that run down to the sea.
¯~_°. .°_~¯

Lyrics - The Last Goodbye by Billy Boyd
Av/Sig - Koa/Raven

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Post by La Striata » Tue May 05, 2015 3:03 am

duskypack wrote:They should be called something like 'Maned Canids' or Maned Dogs, since there is an African Wild Dog.
I disagree. It should be given a name derived from one of the languages of the people it lives alongside, just like the prairie wolf was later called "coyote" from an Aztec word.
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

Cackle
Pup
Pup
Name: Whiffler

Post by Cackle » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:31 pm

Technically they are not wolves and not even related.
Although it is a member of the Canedae family, which contains dogs, wolves, and foxes, the maned wolf is the only species in the genus Chrysocyon. It is considered not to be a "true wolf".
So are they even allowed in this forum? I know other people have said this but I just had to say so myself.
Here's a link to know more about them: http://www.cosmosmith.com/maned_wolves.html
Last edited by Cackle on Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Welcome to adulthood. Every child finds a day when they realize that adults can be weak and wrong just like everyone else. After that day, you are an adult. Like it or not.”
“Let others determine your worth and you're already lost, because no one wants people worth more than themselves.”

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by valkea » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:35 pm

Autumnfire wrote:Technically they are not Canids nor in the canis family and not even related. So are they even allowed in this forum? I know other people have said this but I just had to say so myself.
Here's a link to know more about them: http://www.cosmosmith.com/maned_wolves.html
Where exactly are you finding that they are not canids? Because that site doesn't say it, it just says that they are the only species in their genus... and is in the Canidae family. Canidae = canids. Canis is a genus within the Canidae family that contains wolves, coyotes, dogs, etc. There are animals outside of the Canis genus that are in the Canidae family, and so are canids, such as foxes (vulpes), lycoan (african wild dogs) chrysocyon (maned wolves), etc. Lots of animals that are canids but not canis.

Cackle
Pup
Pup

Post by Cackle » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:37 pm

Sorry, yes I know. Wow. You posted your comment at the same second I edited mine.
“Welcome to adulthood. Every child finds a day when they realize that adults can be weak and wrong just like everyone else. After that day, you are an adult. Like it or not.”
“Let others determine your worth and you're already lost, because no one wants people worth more than themselves.”

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by valkea » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:39 pm

So to answer your question as to whether they're allowed here or not, well, yes, they are, since they are canids other than wolves and this is the Other Canids board rather than one of the boards dedicated to wolves.

Cackle
Pup
Pup

Post by Cackle » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:45 pm

Yes I know this also. I just didn't want to change what I said before too much.

I actually live really close to wild Maned wolfs. Not close enough to see them though.

-FireBreaker-
Name: Fire

Post by -FireBreaker- » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:17 pm

I've heard of them and i think they are beautiful creatures c:
·.·´¯`·.· ·.·´¯`·.·´·.·´¯`·.· ·.·´¯`·.·´
Wh¥ §hðµlÐ ï åþðlðgïzê £ðr hê mðñ§êr ï'vê ßê¢ðmê
ñð ðñê êvêr åþðlðgïzêÐ £ðr måkïñg mê hï§ wå¥
`.¸¸.´´¯`` .¸¸.´`.¸¸.´´¯`` .¸¸.´
:: av/sig © Lupin/Samber ::

Jeames
Name: Jeames, Jea

Post by Jeames » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:21 am

Ah, the maned wolves. The canines that are said to be wolves yet they aren't.

I've heard that they also walk very differently compared to other canines. Their left rear leg and front leg move at the same time when walking, same goes for the right rear leg and front leg? At least that's what I've heard.
On YouTube I found a few videos of a maned wolf walking. I don't know why but I find that hard to watch, maybe because they walk really awkward...

DeviantArt Artstation Instagram Weasyl Newgrounds
Discord (Jeames#7775)

av ↝ noir_187