Maned wolf ? You heard about it?

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Gloria Crystal
Yearling
Yearling

Maned wolf ? You heard about it?

Post by Gloria Crystal » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:37 am

Want grey Wolf? Ok, go here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_wolf
Maned Wolf:
The maned wolf or wolf (Chrysocyon brachyurus) is the largest canid native to South America The geographical distribution extends from southern Brazil, Paraguay, Peru and Bolivia to the east of the Andes and are extinct in Uruguay and perhaps in Argentina , and is considered an endangered species. Brazil is home to the largest number of animals, of about 25,000 individuals of the species, 22,000 are in Brazilian territory. [1]
The occurrence of biomes in Brazil: Cerrado, Pantanal, South Fields, part of the Caatinga, and Atlantic.

The species is not directly related to any other kind of dogs and is apparently a relic of the Pleistocene fauna of South America, who disappeared in the majority after the formation of the Isthmus of Panama.
Conservation: The National Zoo has been working to protect maned wolves for nearly 30 years and coordinates the collaborative, inter-zoo Maned Wolf Species Survival Plan, which includes breeding maned wolves, studying them in the wild, protecting their habitat, and educating people about them.

At the National Zoo: Maned wolves can be seen in the yard next to the scimitar-horned oryx, across from the wallabies and emu, and Parking Lot A. Zoo map

Fun Facts
Maned wolves rotate their large ears to listen for prey animals in the grass. They tap the ground with a front foot to flush out the prey and pounce to catch it.

Maned wolves are monogomous. Though the male and female generally live solitary lives and come together only during the breeding season, they share defended territories.

Features
The maned wolf is about 1 meter and 30 on the shoulder and weighs between 20 and 25 kg. Its coat is reddish feature throughout the body except the neck, back, legs and tail tip are black and may tip to tail, ears and chat be white. Unlike wolves, this species does not form packs, and is solitary, coming together only in pairs during the breeding season

Reproduction
Gestation lasts on average 65 days and results in litters of six pups, two of the average number of pups are born between June and setembro.Os pups are born black with a white tip of tail and weigh between 340 grams and 410 grams. His maturity is achieved with a year reaches the age of the maned wolf have their young only in June and at birth, the female does not leave the nest and is fed by the male.

Diet
The maned wolf hunting preferably at night and attack small mammals like rodents and birds, but their diet has a strong omnivores. These animals are quite dependent on lobeira (Wolf Apple) and establish a plan with this symbiotic relationship: without the fruits of lobeira the wolf dies of renal complications caused by nematodes, and in return has a vital role in the dispersal of seeds of this plant .

Extinction Risk
Although it does not match the critical category of IUCN, high risk of extinction in the wild in the medium term, due to population decline and the extreme fragmentation of the occupied area. The population size is shrinking, with the probability of extinction in the wild in 100 years. The main threats to the maned wolf come from land conversion to agriculture, from being susceptible to diseases of domestic dogs that compete with them for food, and accidents as pedestrians on roads.

Conservation initiatives
The species occurs in several protected areas in Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Paraguay and possibly Peru. In Argentina is ranked among the endangered species (EN), and Brazil on the list of endangered species. His hunting is prohibited in Brazil, Paraguay and Bolivia. Although there are initiatives dedicated to species conservation, the benefits of projects to protect the cerrado.

In Brazil it is found in the National Parks of Brasilia, Emas, Chapada dos, do Araguaia, Serra da Canastra Hinterland Great Paths of Serra do Cipo, Chapada dos Guimarães, Serra da Range, Big Island, the Trimmed Serra, Serra Geral, São Joaquim, of Bocaina, Itatiaia. Occurs also in the Roncador Ecological Reserve and the Ecological Stations Water Chain, Uruçuí-Una, Serra das Araras, and Pirapitinga Taiamã. Still, the State Parks Ibitipoca, Itacolomi, springs from the Rio Taquari, Caracol, Itapuã, Dim, and Cerrado Minas Gerais Vila Velha.Em the PRNP (Private Reserve of Natural Heritage) in the sanctuary of caraça also very helpful in this regard, in addition put the wolf as an interesting and attractive image for tourists, also preserves, feeding him.

Develop ecological studies and genetic variability in several Brazilian research institutions: the Association Pro-carnivores, CNPq, the Education of the Central Plateau, USP, Zoobotânica Foundation of Belo Horizonte,National Institute for Space Research (Brazil), the Brazilian Institute of Environment, EMBRAPA and University of Brasilia.

PICS ( ADULTS MANED-WOLVES )
Maned Wolf Jump
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_SKKT5SmDEbs/S ... f_jump.jpg
Maned Wolf with a dove
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3630/355 ... 811058.jpg
Maned wolf yawning
http://www.animalpicturesarchive.com/Ar ... 201308.jpg
More Soon

PICS ( PUPS MANED-WOLVES )
Pup Up?
http://th06.deviantart.net/fs10/300W/i/ ... ionfur.jpg
Pups Playing
http://th06.deviantart.net/fs9/300W/i/2 ... ionfur.jpg
Bow
http://th04.deviantart.net/fs9/300W/i/2 ... ionfur.jpg
Mom and Pup
http://animal.discovery.com/guides/baby ... d-wolf.jpg
Last edited by Gloria Crystal on Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:28 am, edited 5 times in total.
......There's song that's inside of my soul......
...... It's the one I call......
.......HOWL......

ozo123
Pup
Pup

Re: Maned wolf? You heard about it?

Post by ozo123 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:46 am

Is this what you know? or did you look it up and copy and paste it? Or did you post this to show of of brag?? :?
Join My Pack Today Crimson Leaf Pack!

Gloria Crystal
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Gloria Crystal » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:53 am

nothing of this :!: , i just copy and paste it :D , I know that this kind of wolf is the most common here in Brazil, but not the "My" knowledge, I researched this,just wanted to let you know that other kind of wolf :wink:
.......HOWL......

ozo123
Pup
Pup

Post by ozo123 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:55 am

oh ok lol i like maned wolves they are kinda extinct arnet they?? they are very sleek too LUV EM :mrgreen:

Gloria Crystal
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Gloria Crystal » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:03 am

haa, i agree ,if are wolf, I like to the maned!
.......HOWL......

ozo123
Pup
Pup

Re: Maned wolf ? You heard about it?

Post by ozo123 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:29 am

hmm...i like gray wolf better though i would love to be one :D

Gloria Crystal
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Gloria Crystal » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:38 am

yeah, would be great be a wolf to just some moments :mrgreen:
Last edited by Gloria Crystal on Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.......HOWL......

Moonikinz
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Moonikinz » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:09 pm

WolfGloria wrote:yeah
at least 3 words please anything less is considered spam.
Former Founder of Undine Falls Pack/Pack mascot
Former WQ moderator.

Gloria Crystal
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Gloria Crystal » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:24 pm

Ok, i'll remember this :mrgreen: thanks for warning me :D
.......HOWL......

Stonei
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Stonei » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:28 am

The maned wolf is a very beautiful and fascinating creature. It would truly be a shame if 100 years from now they were extincted in the wild. I really hope that action is taken to further preserve this animal. Such as keeping your dogs indoors and making sure they have a large fenced yard to play in without being a danger to any other animal. Also being aware of their presence could help lessen car accidents involving maned wolves.
Even the smallest action could help this majestic animal^^
~WQ UoTM~
June-2010

~ I support - The Fdshfbvsk Band ~

Happy Holidays!

My avatar shop - http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=26981

snohomish10
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by snohomish10 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:43 pm

ozo123 wrote:oh ok lol i like maned wolves they are kinda extinct arnet they?? they are very sleek too LUV EM :mrgreen:
they have a very bad smell sometimes, something when the females spray and in heat or trying to keep others away, i have seen them close up and im in america north carolina, but thats because they were in a zoo thing, there was two females and the had a ant eater or skunk in the exibit with them, there was two sister manned wolves pretty red coat but the stank

Gloria Crystal
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Gloria Crystal » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:27 am

i've seen maned wolf and grey wolf in the zoo :mrgreen:
.......HOWL......

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:24 pm

Thanks for posting this! I agree, they are interesting. I got a very brief chance to see one in a zoo, though the view was very short before it went out of sight.
I've found a bit more regarding the conservation of the Maned Wolf:

Conservation
The maned wolf occurs in a number of protected areas across its range. Although protected by law in certain countries, with hunting prohibited in Brazil, Paraguay and Bolivia, law enforcement is often problematic. At present, there are no known conservation actions specific to the maned wolf, but there are broader attempts to protect parts of its habitat and reduce the impact of animal road kills in Brazil (1). Encouragingly, observations indicate that the maned wolf is able to colonize different habitats and that the species’ range has altered in configuration in recent years rather than diminished (12). This has, however, led these wolves into areas of greater proximity and conflict with humans, and education programmes have therefore been started to dissuade farmers from shooting this rare species (2). As of 2003, 146 institutions reported a total of 431 maned wolves in captivity, including 208 males and 222 females (8). However, for unknown reasons, canids breed poorly in captivity. Research has therefore been conducted into behaviour affecting hormones, nutrition and stress in captivity, as well as the use of modern reproductive technologies to aid the process (10). Future studies need to focus on population surveys throughout the species’ range, as well as research into how human encroachment and habitat loss is impacting this distinctive canid (1).
http://www.arkive.org/maned-wolf/chryso ... /info.html

Gloria Crystal
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Gloria Crystal » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:59 am

Thanks for post this, Koa :D ! This help so much! :wink:
I'll take more about this wonderful being!
.......HOWL......

Canidae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Canidae » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:49 pm

Koa wrote:Thanks for posting this! I agree, they are interesting. I got a very brief chance to see one in a zoo, though the view was very short before it went out of sight.
That always seems to be the case whenever I'm at a wildlife sanctuary that possesses maned wolves. xD They always seem to be either curled up asleep in the far corner of the habitat, or otherwise completely hidden altogether. I got one of my first good looks at the animal about a month ago while at the Rolling Hills Wildlife Adventure in Salina, KS. They have two maned wolves, and the first couple times I passed by their enclosure, they were of course nowhere to be seen. It wasn't until several hours later that I peeked over their way while wandering throughout the zoo and I noticed they were out. It was kind of a "OH they're out! Quick, I have to go over there before they hide again!" moment. ^^" I didn't get many pictures, unfortunately.
Like animal photography? Check out my Deviantart account:
http://familycanidae.deviantart.com/