'My Dog is a Weapon'

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Zethra

Re: 'My Dog is a Weapon'

Post by Zethra » Tue May 18, 2010 10:39 am

Indeed, I wouldn't have expected that. Though History isn't really my strong point when it comes to sertant things. ^^"
A dog is usually taught into aggression, then if that person expects the dog to just act like nothing happened. Well that'd be hard to do for the animal, it would have to be taught again that it's not okay to be aggressive. Since Dogs are Canids, not Humans.
............'..........Avatar by Zethra

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Tue May 18, 2010 10:53 am

One of the issues in rehabilitating aggressive dogs is that people forget that they are dogs, not humans. People have the tendency to humanize animals which should not be done at any situation. If you try to apply human psychology into a dog or another canine, it will simply not work. Animals and humans do not behave in the same way nor do they think in the same way. Dogs are sensitive and intelligent thus it makes them very easily modifiable; humans can "shape" and mold dogs into anything they want. We can create protectors, herders and guardians out of dogs just as easily we can place aggression into them. Dogs trust people blindly and because of their sociality they have a natural habit to please people, doing whatever is asked of them just to make their dominant pack leaders happy and content with their (the dogs') behavior.

Rehabilitating an aggressive dog is a long and hard road but it's definitely worth taking.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Tue May 18, 2010 11:02 am

I agree, the humanizing of an animal isn't very good for rehabilitation. Especially when sometimes, the humanizing of the dog turns into the so called "aggression" that has been seen. The dog feeds off the humans emotions, and how the human is rasing the dog.

So even with the long road of treating aggression, it can be cured along with being prevented. Due to if the human realilzes that the dog is a dog, not a human.

However, not that what is said above is always the case. It is just an opinion.

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Tue May 18, 2010 1:25 pm

DominoEagle wrote:I agree, the humanizing of an animal isn't very good for rehabilitation. Especially when sometimes, the humanizing of the dog turns into the so called "aggression" that has been seen. The dog feeds off the humans emotions, and how the human is rasing the dog.

So even with the long road of treating aggression, it can be cured along with being prevented. Due to if the human realilzes that the dog is a dog, not a human.
I agree with you, Dom, we definitely share similar kind of opinion about aggression in dogs and rehabilitating aggressive dogs.

Aggression can be prevented if the dog is offered a loving, nurturing home with boundaries and limitations. The dog should also be well socialized and trained in order to block out unwanted behavior which can lead to aggression and other behavioral problems, such as dominance, claiming, or protectiveness over territory, etc.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Tue May 18, 2010 1:38 pm

...When I said 'policing' I meant as sniffing dogs...not as dogs meant for war or guerrilla styled tactics like scaring prisoners.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Tue May 18, 2010 10:58 pm

SolitaryHowl wrote:...When I said 'policing' I meant as sniffing dogs...not as dogs meant for war or guerrilla styled tactics like scaring prisoners.
I was aware of what you meant, Soli, but I wanted to express some facts and my own opinion about dogs used in warfare and in policing in general.

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Wed May 19, 2010 8:48 am

I realized what Solitary had said aswell, I was justing commenting on Blight's post. x3
Though sniffing dogs are very good for structor of the Police force. The other way, scarring prisoners, I really dislike that treatment. However, I have seen it in TV shows...

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Wed May 19, 2010 10:08 am

Dog definitely should not be used for solely scaring and intimidation. It's unethical to use an animal to frighten even a criminal but it's also a wrong-doing toward the dog itself. Intimidation dogs are taught aggression and hostility toward humans when they are encouraged to attack and growl at people. The rehabilitation process of an attack or an intimidation dog is a true challenge for any dog trainer or anyone else working with dogs and understanding dog psychology.

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Wed May 19, 2010 10:44 am

Though, sadly, it does happen. Some people just don't realize the what the dog is like. Only seeing it as a tool, not a living creature.
Which is usually the cause of weaponized dogs. They are seen as a weapon for intimadation, not a living creature.

There are people that try their best to help solve such problems though, even with the very long road of rehabilitation.

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Wed May 19, 2010 1:56 pm

It's a real blessing that there are dedicated dog trainers and other canine professionals who are willing to sacrifice a lot of time, hard work and effort to rehabilitate aggressive dogs that have been used as nothing but machines or tools (e.g., dog fighting) for cruel and pointless human entertainment or benefit.