Coyotes Kill Woman in Canadian Park

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Coyotes Kill Woman in Canadian Park

Post by Songdog » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:08 am

Not all of them are 'naturally shy'. Many coyotes live in cities and have become adjusted to being in close human contact, especially since many humans try to feed them or leave out food without thinking it will attract coyotes. There are even recent studies that indicate that coyotes are becoming less and less fearful of humans.

Coyotes have attacked people before, this just happens to be the first lethal case. Do not say "never", there are multiple reported cases of non-rabid coyotes attack humans, and even hunting small children.

Animals don't always need a reason to attack. They are wild animals. Sometimes incidents just happen.

Starwars11

Post by Starwars11 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:18 pm

Songdog wrote:Not all of them are 'naturally shy'. Many coyotes live in cities and have become adjusted to being in close human contact, especially since many humans try to feed them or leave out food without thinking it will attract coyotes. There are even recent studies that indicate that coyotes are becoming less and less fearful of humans.
Apparently, though, these are coyotes who live in parks. The parks are not cities. They are "rural" enclosed spaces, where tourists sometimes go for hikes. Unless these coyotes were "caught" in cities and then put into the park..

Anyway, I said I never heard of a coyote attacking a human, I didn't say it never happened.

Faithwolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Faithwolf » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:35 pm

Oh my,like everyone else i have'nt heard coyotes kill a human.
I feel so sorry for her and she was justing starting a good life.
I still like coyotes though but sometimes i get mad because the parks
are not fully protected:like the time i went camping and we saw a huge
bear like the one in WQ ...scary...
Twas the Nightmare before Christmas
I support Wolfie Blackheart <3

Wolfie10
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Wolfie10 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:31 pm

I live in Nova Scotia now, It was quite a shock, alot of people felt for the incident. Lucky a hatred against the Coyotes does not seem to appear. This does not scare me off the Coyotes that live abouts' and dosn't seem to do so for my friends, if anything- by now. Alot of us have forgotten the incident.
Even I forgot till I spotted the topic, it was sad that that she died- but alot of people found out about her music, just a shame she wasn't there to recive all the attention.
“There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle.” Albert Einstein

Razorfang
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Razorfang » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:39 pm

sad story, poor woman.

I agree that this is a terrible story, however, I disagree with the people that are saying that she is the one that was wrong. We cannot read the minds of animals, nor can we foresee if they will attack someone or not, coyote attacks on humans are not very common but there has always been some reports. its just that this is the first deadly case.

Also, we cannot say that the coyotes were wrong. just as I said, no one knows why they did attack her.
bad timing, bad place I say.

Nightskydapple
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: Waiting for "Her" to turn back and realise I'm here enduring the pain.

Post by Nightskydapple » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:39 pm

I've never heard about coyotes attacking people before. Its a bit of a sad situation I've heard this on the radio last time.
~Yeah I'm smiling,[/color]Inside dieing.~
Behind this fake mask of mine,
Paper thin lies, what I wished for most is a paper heart,
then you can't come and destroy and tear it apart like you
did to my last one.~

LupinzPack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Lupe

Post by LupinzPack » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:39 pm

a little after this happened I heard somewhere (and im not really sure if its true!) that the coyotes were not pure coyote but a mix of coyote and Domestic Dog. Yes DOG.
Again im not sure if its true but they said that if they were, that would explain why they attacked her, because of the dog in them, they had some dog characteristics and were not as fearfull of a human as pure coyotes would be.
These mixed characteristics are what may have brought on the attack, but it may not be true!
◦• 🌴 •◦

I ABSOLUTELY HATE YOUR VIBE

Av/Sig - Lupe

Aloka
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Aloka » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:31 am

Two coyotes cannot kill a man ( or woman) I think, this only a bad jok.
  • Hello, I am from Russia! :D

Say me who your friend, and I say who you...
(c) ???

jaguartail
    New Pack Member
    New Pack Member

Post by jaguartail » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:00 am

Songdog wrote:
    TORONTO (Oct. 28) -- Two coyotes attacked a promising young musician as she was hiking alone in a national park in eastern Canada, and authorities said she died Wednesday of her injuries.
    The victim was identified as Taylor Mitchell, 19, a singer-songwriter from Toronto who was touring her new album on the East Coast.
    She was hiking solo on a trail in Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia on Tuesday when the attack occurred. She was airlifted to a Halifax hospital in critical condition and died Wednesday morning, authorities said.
    Coyotes, which also are known as prairie wolves, are found from Central America to the United States and Canada.
    Wildlife biologist Bob Bancroft said coyote attacks are extremely rare because the animals are usually shy.
    Bancroft, a retired biologist with Nova Scotia's Department of Natural Resources, said it's possible the coyotes thought Mitchell was a deer or other prey.
    "It's very unusual and is not likely to be repeated," Bancroft said. "We shouldn't assume that coyotes are suddenly going to become the big bad wolf."
    Royal Canadian Mounted Police spokeswoman Brigdit Leger said other hikers heard Mitchell's screams for help on Tuesday and called emergency police dispatchers.
    Police who were in the area reached the scene quickly and shot one of the animals, apparently wounding it. But the wounded animal and a companion coyote managed to get away.
    Paul Maynard of Emergency Health Services said Mitchell already was in critical condition when paramedics arrived on the scene and had multiple bite wounds over her entire body.
    "She was losing a considerable amount of blood from the wounds," he said.
    An official with Parks Canada said they blocked the entrance to the trail where Mitchell was attacked and were trying to find the animals to determine what prompted such an unusual attack.
    "There's been some reports of aggressive animals, so it's not unknown," said Helene Robichaud, the park's superintendent. "But we certainly never have had anything so dramatic and tragic."
    Mitchell was an up-and-coming folk and country musician who was nominated for a 2009 Canadian Folk Music Award in the Young Performer of the Year category.
    "Words can't begin to express the sadness and tragedy of losing such a sweet, compassionate, vibrant, and phenomenally talented young woman," Lisa Weitz, Mitchell's manager, said in an e-mail. "She just turned 19 two months ago, and was so excited about the future."
    http://news.aol.com/article/coyotes-kil ... -in/741093

Coyote attacks on humans are not very common, and this is the first lethal attack.
    How terrible!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

_Shadow-wolf_
    Pup
    Pup

Post by _Shadow-wolf_ » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:04 am

I never heard of coyote attacks on people before!
    ..."Non-Flammable" is not a Challenge

The Black Wolf moon
    Pup
    Pup
    Location: Dancing, running, with the blackest of wolves in the night timber, as I become a wolf to...

Post by The Black Wolf moon » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:07 am

Oh no! That's horrible!D:> Darn, we have coyotes here.
    Visit my dA account! www.Wolved.deviantart.com
    I made my avvie, I also take commisions on my dA Just look in the gallery and you'll find my price list!

Resi
    Pup
    Pup

Post by Resi » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:10 pm

oh I never imagined that a coyote can kill a person but ok in wolfquest you're a wolf and not a human so you're stronger as a coyote ^^
    but I didn't hear about it until now
    .......................-

The Legend of Zelda, Link and the Triforce forever

Love hurts :(

You belong to me ♥

Elfenlied is so great
    best Anime

shadowwolf966
    Yearling
    Yearling

Post by shadowwolf966 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:37 am

Hum.... sounds a little fishy to me... they probally had rabies or something. :?
    .//...'.'.'.'..(¨*.¸(¨*.¸´.¸ тђє คfricคɲ Stคrs Pคςƙ ¸.´¸.*¨) ¸.*¨)
    .//...'.///////////.//////////'.'.'..Celebrating 2 years
    ...........Shadow, proud to be a Tafuria of the African Stars Pack!
    .//.......'.'.'.'..Come join the largest pack on WolfQuest today!:
    ..../...........//.http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45816

Siggie (c) Alpha Female

soloreclipse
    Sub-adult Wolf
    Sub-adult Wolf

Post by soloreclipse » Mon May 24, 2010 6:55 am

That article is very sad. . . and very strange as well. They didn't have rabies? Hmmm. I've never heard an attack from coyotes on people, before. . . Well, I hope her family is doing okay. And anyway, that is very strange.
    Why are you reading this? You just wasted 2 seconds of your life reading this!!!!