General Raccoon Dog Discussion

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

General Raccoon Dog Discussion

Post by Blightwolf » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:44 am

One of my favorite Canids is the Raccoon Dog (Nyctereutes procyonoides), which used to be a very hated animal in my country, Finland. In here, it's called "Supi" or "Supikoira".
The Raccoon Dog has been widely introduced. It is now widespread in northern and eastern Europe as well as in its native East Asian countries. Abundance is unknown in the Far East outside of Japan where it is common. The species is not considered threatened at present.

Although this species looks much like the North American raccoon (Procyon lotor), the raccoon dog is not closely related to the raccoon, and only distantly related to domestic dogs. This 7 page species account summarizes the best scientific information available as of 2004 on the biology, distribution, status, and behavior of this species. It also describes the introduction of this east Asian species into eastern Europe and its current distribution there. There is also a review of human interactions with the species including its use in furs. Unique among canids, the raccoon dog will hibernate during cold winters.

Population trend: Unknown

Habitat and Ecology: Two features are typical of the habitat of Raccoon Dogs: 1) they are often found near water; and 2) during autumn they are more or less dependent on fruits and berries, which affects their habitat selection. In Japan, Raccoon Dog habitat includes deciduous forests, broad-leaved evergreen forests, mixed forests, farmlands, and urban areas from coastal to subalpine zones. In the countryside, the species prefers herbaceous habitat and uses less Cryptomeria plantation throughout year, while riparian areas are often used (M. Saeki and D.W. Macdonald, unpubl.). In urban areas, Raccoon Dogs inhabit areas with as little as 5% forest cover. In the Russian Far East, the Raccoon Dog favours open landscape, especially damp meadows and agricultural land and avoids dark forests (Judin 1977).

In the introduced range, Raccoon Dogs favour moist forests and shores of rivers and lakes, especially in early summer (Korneev 1954; Nasimovic and Isakov 1985; Kauhala 1996). In late summer and autumn, they favour moist heaths with abundant berries (Morozov 1947; Kauhala 1996). In the Finnish archipelago, however, they favour barren pine forests where they feed on crowberries (Empetrum nigrum) (Kauhala and Auniola 2000).

Major Threats: Road kills, persecution, government attitudes, epidemics (scabies, distemper and rabies) and pollution (organtins, lead, PCDDs, PCDFs and PCBs) remain the major threats to the species across its range.

The Russians introduced Raccoon Dogs into the wild in the European part of the former Soviet Union because they wanted to establish a valuable new fur animal in the wild. Raccoon Dog furs continue to be commercially sold, although today they are produced in fur farms. While the species is still commonly farmed for fur in Finland, Raccoon Dogs are no longer farmed in Sweden (J.-O. Helldin pers. comm.) or Hungary, where the last fur farm was closed in 1995 (M. Heltai pers. comm.). In Japan, Raccoon Dog fur is also used in the production of calligraphic brushes, stuffed animals, and other products.

Source: http://www.canids.org/species/Nyctereut ... noides.htm

G a l l e r y

http://www.canids.org/gallery/Popup19383.jpg
http://retrieverman.files.wordpress.com ... -dogs1.jpg
http://animalblawg.files.wordpress.com/ ... dog-1a.jpg
http://dogblog.dogster.com/uploads/2007 ... %20Dog.bmp
Last edited by Koa on Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Thread topic title changed to make it more generalized. Thread merged with similar thread.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Sintact

Re: Raccoon Dog

Post by Sintact » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:18 am

Interesting information, Embry. I really didn't knew all those things about the Raccoon Dog.
The raccoon dog is native to China, Korea, Japan, and Northeastern Russia. Average adult head and body length is about 65 cm (2 ft) and weight ranges from 4 to 10 kg (9 to 22 lb). Average litters are large, 15 or more pups. Longevity is 3–4 years in the wild and up to 11 years in captivity. The species is found in both plains and mountainous regions and is especially common in woodlands. The raccoon dog is commonly seen near villages and in rural areas.

Between 1931 and 1955, the N. p. ussuriensis subspecies was introduced to the European Soviet Union as potential fur or game animals and have spread rapidly since. In 1948, 35 raccoon dog were introduced in Latvia. The population increased rapidly. In 1960 Latvia officially reported a total of 4,210 raccoon dog were hunted.[7] However, speculation exists that the introduction of the Raccoon Dog to Europe brought with it infected ticks that introduced the Asian Tick-borne meningoencephalitis virus.[8]

The raccoon dog is now abundant throughout Finland, Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania, and has been reported as far away as France, Romania, Italy,[3] and Switzerland.[9]

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raccoon_Dog

Nor-easter Forecast

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:24 am

Wow, I had never heard of such a thing! I'm sort of glad I don't live where they would. Thanks for posting!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ˢ ʳ ˢ
ˢ ʳʸʰ ˢ ʰ
ˣ ˢ ʰˢ,
ʰ ʳʸʰ
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

av/sig/quote © coyoteflu/LupinzPack/patty griffin

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:45 am

The Raccoon Dog is a very fascinating Canid. I do not like that they are still killed for fur in my country, there are some of the living in the wild, but at least people aren't persecuting them as much any more ...

A d d i t i o n al -- R a c c o o n -- D o g -- I n f o r m a t i on

Class: Animals with Milk Glands (Mammalia)
Subclass: True Mammals (Eutheria)
Order: Meat-eating Mammals (Carnivora)
Family: Canidae.

The Name: "Dog" comes from from the Old English word "daga". Although the resemblance to a raccoon is startling, it is not closely related to a raccoon. As you can see by its family name (Canidae), Latin for "dog", this animal is definitely a dog.

Location: Originally in northern Asia, now spreading rapidly into central and northern Europe.

Habitat: Terrestrial. Deciduous forests.

Description: The legs are short and covered with a coat which is almost black. The tail is short and bushy. The body is dark brown and yellowish (because of the yellow tips of the hairs). Among the dog family, this species has the least bladelike teeth, and there is often an extra upper molar, bringing the total number of teeth to 44. The length of the head and body is about 24 inches with a tail of about 7 inches. Its weight is about 16 pounds.

Behavior: This is a solitary, nocturnal creature which moves with great caution in dense woodlands and forests, especially in the presence of humans. It lives in a deep burrow dug in the ground. In winter it enters a state of lethargy, the length of which depends on the harshness of the climate. It is omnivorous.

Reproduction: Breeding begins in February or March, and there is a variable gestation period. There are usually six young per litter, but sometimes as many as 12. The young reach adult size by fall.

(N O T E: In its original distribution area it has been hunted almost to extinction; in Japan at this time it is considered an endangered species and is protected.)

Hiedidog

Post by Hiedidog » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:16 pm

I love raccoon dogs! I did a tiny report on them a few years ago.

They look a lot like raccoons. XD

Thanks for the info, Embry!
♥Kamisha♥

October 2009 Undine Falls Pack Member of the Month

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:08 am

It looks a lot like a Raccoon, but Raccoon Dogs are not closely related to the Raccoon, and only distantly related to Domestic Dogs. I don't really know about their ancestry, they might be more closely related to rodent animals, etc.

Yogi

Post by Yogi » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:52 am

Intrestingg info! I adore Raccoon Dogs, too. Some of them look so puffy that you would want to cuddle them! And I have no idea why they are called that.

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:00 am

I expect that the name, "Raccoon Dog", simply refers to the raccoon-like appeareance, although it's not an actual Raccoon or even a Raccoon subspecies, Raccoons are not Canids like the Raccoon Dog is, so they are not related.

-Larka-
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by -Larka- » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:13 am

Wow...I never even know that they existed.

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Songdog » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:54 am

The Raccoon Dog is also the only canine known to hibernate, although not all go through hibernation, depending on where they live. Also, they are one of the few canines to be able to climb trees. I believe the other is, some sort of fox.

They are also one of the most highly used animals in the fur trade industry, often times their fur is mislabeled as fox or rabbit.

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:26 pm

I knew they hibernate but I didn't know they're able to climb up trees. Yeah, Raccoon Dogs are still popular on the fur market in Finland, there are dozens of them in fur farms around here.

Cerbolt

Post by Cerbolt » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:43 pm

I personally love these canines. Very cute and their plet colours are lovely.

snohomish10
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by snohomish10 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:20 pm

raccoon dogs were made in china or japan i cant remember by a small dog and raccoon had mated lol ther have long hair or mostly they are cute

KTLU_Seekers
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Location: Middle of nowhere! (i'm SERIUS, NO ONE KNOWS WERE MY HOMETOWN IS!)

Post by KTLU_Seekers » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:41 am

They look like coons!, guess that's way there called Coon dogs, check out the Coon dog wiki for more info
( i say Coon instead of Raccoon I adore abreviation)
As a person, i worship no one, But as a wolf, i worship Lobo, King of the Currumpaw For his Dignity and his kind heart, devoted to his dear mate, Blanka

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Raccoon Dogs - General Discussion

Post by Masika » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:12 am

There was a very old discussion on this, which is currently locked, so I thought it would be good to create a new/fresh discussion on these guys :3

So, anyone else like Raccoon dogs here? I think they are pretty interesting animals to say the least. I mostly find them interesting because of their appearance, since you can definitely see the reason of why they get their name.

Here is some brief information on Raccoon Dogs:

General information:
"The raccoon dog, also known as the Magnut or Tanuki, is a canid indigenous to east Asia. It is the only extant species in the genus Nyctereutes. It is considered a basal canid species, resembling ancestral forms of the family. The raccoon dog is named for its resemblance to the raccoon, to which it is not closely related."

"They do not bark like foxes, uttering instead a growl, followed by a long-drawn melancholy whine. Captive specimens have been known to utter daily a very different kind of sound when hungry, described as a sort of mewing plaint. Males fighting for females will yelp and growl. Japanese raccoon dogs produce sounds higher in pitch than those of domestic dogs, and sound similar to cats."

What do Raccoon Dogs eat?
"Raccoon dogs are omnivores which feed on insects, mouse-like rodents, amphibians, birds, fish, reptiles, molluscs, carrion and insectivores. Among the rodents targeted by raccoon dogs, voles seem to predominate in swampy areas, but are replaced with gerbils in flatland areas such as Astrakhan. Frogs are the most commonly taken amphibians; in the Voronezh region, they frequently eat fire bellied toads, while European spadefoot toads are usually taken in Ukraine. Raccoon dogs will prey on waterfowl, passerines and migrating birds. Grouse are commonly hunted in their introduced range, and many instances of pheasant predation are recorded in the Ussuri territory. Raccoon dogs will eat beached fish and fish trapped in small water bodies. They rarely catch fish during the spawning season, but will eat many during the spring thaw. In their southern range, they eat young tortoises and their eggs. Insectivorous mammals hunted by raccoon dogs include shrews and hedgehogs and, on rare occasions, moles and desmans. In the Ussuri territory, large moles are their primary source of food. Plant food is highly variable, and includes bulbs, rhizomes, oats, millets, maize, nuts, fruits, berries, grapes, melons, watermelons, pumpkins and tomatoes. In Japan, they have been observed to climb trees to forage for fruits and berries; raccoon dogs use their curved claws to climb such trees.

Raccoon dogs will modify their diet seasonally; in late autumn and winter, they feed mostly on rodents, carrion and faeces, while fruit, insects and amphibians predominate in spring. In summer, they eat less rodents, and mainly target nesting birds and fruits, grains and vegetables."

Predators of the Raccoon Dog:
"Wolves are the most important predators of raccoon dogs, killing large numbers of them in spring and summer, though attacks have been reported in autumn too. In Tartarstan, wolf predation can account for 55.6% of raccoon dog deaths, while in northwestern Russia, it amounts to 64%. Red foxes will kill raccoon dog pups, and have been known to bite adults to death. Both foxes and Eurasian badgers compete with raccoon dogs for food, and have been known to kill them if raccoon dogs enter their burrows. Eurasian lynxes rarely attack them, due to their low numbers. Birds of prey known to prey on raccoon dogs include golden eagles, white tailed eagles, goshawks and eagle owls."

Source of (More) information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raccoon_Dog
« A PRIVATE LIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE.»
•••
Icon (c) coyoteflu