What local canids (non-pets) do you have in your area?

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Re: What local canids (non-pets) do you have in your area?

Post by Phasoli » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:13 am

I’m constantly told that coyotes are lingering about many suburban areas nearby, but I’ve never seen or heard one for myself. There are plenty more coyotes and foxes down south in the country within my area. Unfortunately, I live closer to the city, so I may never get to see them unless I actively look for them.
||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||ЖЖЖ||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||
Writing is a job, a talent,
but it's also the place to go inside your head.
It's the imaginary friend you drink tea
with in the afternoon.
||,.°`°.,||Ж||,.°`°.,||
sig/quote © Kamaal/Ann Patchett

Faye326
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Faye

Post by Faye326 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:04 pm

I have coyotes galore around my area!!!! :shock:
Light can be found even in the darkest of places.
You just have to look.

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:58 pm

In my area, we have a lot of foxes and coyotes. I have heard many coyotes behind my house, and coyote hunting is quite popular in my area. Foxes are a little more elusive, but I have seen several in my area, albeit on separate occasions. We do have stray dogs in my area as well, but I'm not sure if those would count as "non-pets". Unfortunately, my state is too far south to have wolves, so coyotes and foxes are really all we have.

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Thu May 02, 2019 4:04 pm

DinoDogDude209 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:58 pm
In my area, we have a lot of foxes and coyotes. I have heard many coyotes behind my house, and coyote hunting is quite popular in my area. Foxes are a little more elusive, but I have seen several in my area, albeit on separate occasions. We do have stray dogs in my area as well, but I'm not sure if those would count as "non-pets". Unfortunately, my state is too far south to have wolves, so coyotes and foxes are really all we have.
Ah! Lucky, lucky. I recently saw a coyote scouting a street near our neighbourhood in the morning, just as I was heading to school. That was the first and only time I've ever spotted a coyote here in the suburbs (in spite of people often telling me that they frequent this area). While it was a magical encounter, I can understand why it would be roaming out and about. We've had a lot of construction going on around here lately. It makes me wish that I could see one under natural circumstances.
||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||ЖЖЖ||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||
Writing is a job, a talent,
but it's also the place to go inside your head.
It's the imaginary friend you drink tea
with in the afternoon.
||,.°`°.,||Ж||,.°`°.,||
sig/quote © Kamaal/Ann Patchett

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Fri May 03, 2019 1:26 pm

Phasoli wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:04 pm
DinoDogDude209 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:58 pm
Ah! Lucky, lucky. I recently saw a coyote scouting a street near our neighbourhood in the morning, just as I was heading to school. That was the first and only time I've ever spotted a coyote here in the suburbs (in spite of people often telling me that they frequent this area). While it was a magical encounter, I can understand why it would be roaming out and about. We've had a lot of construction going on around here lately. It makes me wish that I could see one under natural circumstances.
I haven't actually seen many coyotes in my area, at least not living ones. I've seen plenty of dead ones though (they are often hit by vehicles on the roads, and like I said, coyote hunting is popular in my area). I've heard a lot of them though, especially on summer nights. I actually did see two of them last summer, they were trotting across a field behind my house, but they were only visible for about fifteen seconds before they disappeared into some thick bushes.