Are Fennec Foxes Good Pets?

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Re: Are Fennec Foxes Good Pets?

Post by Blightwolf » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:17 am

I just really don't support the idea of keeping foxes (or any kind of wild animals) as pets. I believe that wild animals cannot never be fully domesticated. Trained, yes, so they can respond to certain commands. . . you can take the animal out of the wild, but you can't take the wild out of the animal.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Ivory_
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Ivory_ » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:09 pm

Any wild Animal will not make a good pet even if born in captivity. If You Really would like one as a "pet" i would take into consideration wild life rehabilitation, people in this feild are liscenced to care for injured wilf life until it is well, and i some cases if it is injured to a great extent, and cannot be released back into the wild they will be allowed to keep the animal, for the rest of its life, these animals however are not real pets, even if they may let you pet them and treat them the same way you treat a cat or a dog, you must be very careful around them, you never know when they will show their wild side
♥♦♥♦♥♦♥♦♥♦♥♦♥♦
♥Ivory♦
♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*
♥♦*Council member of The Wolves of the Aurora Borealis♥♦*

(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´ ¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨) Echo - Allura - Lyric
(¸.•´ (¸.•´

♥♦*Avvie by Stonei

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:45 pm

If you are some person who has aquried tons of knowledge of these animals, has worked with an exotic animal before, is ready for the commiment, doesn't mind a high-energy animal or a non-litter-trained one, then go right on ahead, although you must be aware, it isn't a walk in the park, like any type of experiance when owning an animal. But this, is harder, and it requires a lot of patience and will as well as knowledge and commitment. The process you are considering to go through involves a wild and exotic animal. No matter how hard you train it, or how hard you try to 'domesticate' it, it will be and remain a wild animal. It will be unpredictable. I suggest considering on getting more of a domestic pet instead. You can always get one that looks similiar to it, but without all of the advance needs. :)

direwolfkira
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by direwolfkira » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:44 am

fennecs can be pets. ONLY if you make it legel ok

Mystic3170
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Mystic3170 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:52 pm

I recommend you check this website:

www.sybilsden.com

It has tons of info about exotic pets that have been bred to be pets, including foxes, black bears, and raccoons. I agree that wild animals should be kept wild, but many people disagree, too.

Don't buy a fox on impulse because it is cute. They are not easy-to-train, willing-to-please dogs. They are wild animals that have been bred down to semi-domestic.
Is this the end of the moment
Or just a beautiful unfolding
Of a love that will never be?

Rain_Swift-River
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Swift

Post by Rain_Swift-River » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:16 am

As much as I would love a fennec as a pet, it wouldn't be for me. My life is kind of on the busy side, but I'm sure they would make good pets. They are very cute, with their long ears.

xUnique
Pup
Pup

Post by xUnique » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:07 am

I don't think they can be good pets,because they are wild animals and can't live together with humans.

WolfGal555
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by WolfGal555 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:08 pm

Wow, were they really showing that? I think that foxes and all other animals should stay wild. Their natural instincts will go against living with a human and being treated like a pet dog or cat would. I think it's very wrong for them to be kept cooped up as a pet. Besides, they would be extremely hard to train and they wouldn't have any connection to their own kind. I don't even think they could be domesticated. I would say instead of getting a fox for a pet, try a dog first. They will be plenty easier to care for than a fox.
Riddles are like a nutshell. You hate them when you try to open them up, then love them as you get the prize inside.