Group urges humane treatment of stray dogs in Iraq - Y! News

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Group urges humane treatment of stray dogs in Iraq - Y! News

Post by SolitaryHowl » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:11 pm

I think I put this in the right section.

Anywho... Yahoo News...
WASHINGTON – An animal rights group is urging Iraqi authorities to find better ways to eliminate stray dogs after 200 of them were killed in Baghdad this week by poisoned meat and rifles.

Humane Society International wants to work with Baghdad officials because their methods to curb the stray dog population are "neither humane nor have been found to provide long-term solutions to the overpopulation program," the group said in a letter dated Wednesday.

"There are humane, effective and well-established alternatives available and we are willing to help the city of Baghdad initiate these programs," the Washington-based group said in the letter to Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, Baghdad provincial Gov. Hussein al-Tahan and Iraq's ambassador to the U.S., Samir Sumaida'ie.

Baghdad authorities killed more than 200 stray dogs on Sunday, the opening day of a campaign to cull dog packs roaming the capital that was prompted by a spate of fatal attacks on residents. Teams of veterinarians and police officers used poisoned meat and rifles to kill the animals.

In its letter, the group suggests a "holistic approach" to the problem, including surgical spaying and neutering, education on the subject, legislation, dog registration and licensing programs for owned animals, and euthanasia "using humane methods and agents."

Baghdad's provincial council has said the operation aims "to eradicate the diseases transmitted from dogs to human beings."

Thirteen people died in August alone in the capital after being attacked by dogs, according to the council, which is overseeing the campaign.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Hiedidog

Re: Group urges humane treatment of stray dogs in Iraq - Y! News

Post by Hiedidog » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:03 pm

I'm not sure what to say on this. I don't like how they kill the dogs, but it is hard to find effective humane ways to lower down the population.
♥Kamisha♥

October 2009 Undine Falls Pack Member of the Month

Griffinsong
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Re: Group urges humane treatment of stray dogs in Iraq - Y! News

Post by Griffinsong » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:52 pm

:evil:
I'm sorry, but I HATE it when people kill strays just because they think they spread disease. It makes no darn sense!
Just capture the dogs and relocate them. :evil: