Is the internet lying about part wolf dogs?

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

DragonGirl
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: Is the internet lying about part wolf dogs?

Post by DragonGirl » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:40 am

Dont trust the internet all the time my riend has a part wolf dog too
Work hard, help others, make the world change, you're a hero.
Help
Our
Wolves
Live
LOOK A WOLF WITH WINGS AND HORNS!
wait thats me
I have alot of homework so i cant be on that much XP

Soukami
Pup
Pup

Re: Is the internet lying about part wolf dogs?

Post by Soukami » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:12 pm

Let me try to answer your question in one post...

Wolf-Dogs are illegal in the United States, so no, they are not lying. The only possible way to own a wolf dog without breaking the law is to have a special permit, which allows you to own them. If you dont have this permit, a special group (name escapes me lol) might come and take them away. They won't send you to jail, though. And righy97, you actually do NOT want to have a wolf-dog as a pet.. information as follows,

Reasons

1. If you own a wolf dog, and that wolf dog breeds with another dog or a wolf, the canine will be 'contaminated' with that wolf-dog's DNA, and if it breeds with another creature, it will mess up the genetics code of wolves,coyotes,dogs, etc etc etc... Eventually making the species going extinct.

2. A wolf-dog may turn on its owner at any time, with little or no warning, regardless of its normal kind disposition (if it has one). Just a falling child crying or flailing his/her arms can trigger the "prey" instinct in a wolf-dog in little or no time at all. Although your dogs may be very sweet and loving, it is best to not let them get too far away from you, or your house. Keep a close eey on them.

3. It is best to keep them on a leash at all times while visiting a house with young children, or a public area such as a park, or a dog beach.

All that you have said so far, they sound like very very sweet pets. But keep an eye on them, and try not to let them hunt too much. ;) Also, are they spayed/nutered?? If not, you should.

I also went to many websites, and found some topics that support my idea. These include...
**I DID NOT WRITE THESE**
Somewebsite wrote:Yes, especially if your new pup has a lot of wolf in it. Wolves can be more sensitive to some medications, especially anesthesia. (At Wolf Park we find our wolves need about half the dose of a dog of equal weight - a Full dose would likely kill them!). I feel honesty with the vet is important.

If you live in an area where owning a wolfdog is illegal, or can't find a vet who isn't adamantly opposed to wolfdog ownership, maybe you should reconsider your choice of pet.

Jill
Somewebsite wrote: On the same note you must constantly be aware of what the animal is learning from you. You've all heard wolves are very smart. That makes it harder to train them but easier to make mistakes with them. They never reach a point where they stop learning or are "safe." Unlike a dog, which if you raise properly you will be dominant over, even if you become sick or injured, you will only be dominant over a wolf until the animal sees an opportunity to become dominant at your expense. I've heard of this happening at any age from two years up to eleven years of age!

I have heard it said "wolf hybrids are more unpredictable than either wolves or dogs." This is not necessarily true. However, if you try to keep a hybrid like a dog and expect it to behave as one - yes, it may become true. The animal may also surprise you with the intensity of it's behavior. On the other hand, if you keep a hybrid as a wolf, it will seem easy by those standards...
(<-Message is © 1999, 2000 Monty Sloan )
Avvie by Horseracer101
Nabu: Alpha Pup of Snow Mountain pack
Kiru: Alpha female of Outcast Pack
Aisu: Ice Spirit Huntress of Elemental Pack
Niji: Packless Pup
Kumori: Packless Pup
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
†Yes, I AM THE ONE who named the bear Bob!!†