Petshops

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

orangeonfire
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Petshops

Post by orangeonfire » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:43 pm

I don't think dogs that are prone to biting would even be put up for adoption. I always watch on Animal Planet that when a shelter can't fix a dog's behavior to be acceptable, he or she has to be put down. D:

And not all pet shops use puppy mills. The ones I know here claim to select a number of cats and/or dogs from a shelter. They bring them to the shop in the morning and place them up for adoption for the day. :D

Wolf+Freedom=Me
Pup
Pup

Post by Wolf+Freedom=Me » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:59 am

well that's a good pet shop, but they might have used at least a couple of dogs from a mill... think about it, why would they tell the public? And dogs from shelters can seem to be nice, a dummy hand in the food bowl isn't good enough. Anything can trigger that bite off. i had a pet shop in my mall that was closed, since the mill they were using was illeagal and was closed too.
My username is confusing..but the game gives us freedom and we are a wolf..this game is so me!

orangeonfire
Former WQ Moderator

Post by orangeonfire » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:41 am

Why would they tell the public? Well, maybe because they want people to come and adopt animals? :S

Lol, I don't understand what you were trying to prove with that question.

And before the animals are put up for adoption, they go to a foster home for a month or so. They are exposed to plenty of new experiences there, like kids, other dogs/cats, and old ladies. The foster owner can report anything peculiar about the dog/cat to the shelter. And the shelter will record some sort of biography, so that potential owners know how the pup will act when he sees an old lady bending down to pet him.

Quivira
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Quivira » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:36 am

Most of the pet shops I have been to are fine and the people working there take good care of their animals. I saw one place though that didn't take very good care of their animals though. They were closed down because of that.

Snakes

knives
-- Butch  Deloria

avatar/sig © Lupinzpack/twinlinskis

Wolf+Freedom=Me
Pup
Pup

Post by Wolf+Freedom=Me » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:40 am

orangeonfire wrote:Why would they tell the public? Well, maybe because they want people to come and adopt animals? :S

Lol, I don't understand what you were trying to prove with that question.

And before the animals are put up for adoption, they go to a foster home for a month or so. They are exposed to plenty of new experiences there, like kids, other dogs/cats, and old ladies. The foster owner can report anything peculiar about the dog/cat to the shelter. And the shelter will record some sort of biography, so that potential owners know how the pup will act when he sees an old lady bending down to pet him.
i'm guessing you watch the ASPCA show. Most dogs turn out to be ok, but some don't. Think of it as a prisoner. Once that person did something horrible, that person most likly won't be redeemed.. where am i going with this? all i'm saying is that some dogs can't be changed and HAVE to be put down..
My username is confusing..but the game gives us freedom and we are a wolf..this game is so me!

Inoushi
Pup
Pup

Post by Inoushi » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:52 am

i'm guessing you watch the ASPCA show. Most dogs turn out to be ok, but some don't. Think of it as a prisoner. Once that person did something horrible, that person most likly won't be redeemed.. where am i going with this? all i'm saying is that some dogs can't be changed and HAVE to be put down..
That isn't true at all. There are two reasons why dogs deemed "dangerous" are put to sleep. The first reason is the cost. It takes a lot of time and energy to rehabilitate an animal that is more aggressive then the norm. The other reasons is because of liability. There is no guarantee what the dog will do in new surroundings, but if the dog attacks someone, the new owners of the dog can sue the shelter. It is for the same reason many shelters put wolfdogs to sleep regardless of their temperament. If you don't want to take my word for it, just check out that show Dog Town on National geographic. Or better yet volunteer some time at a shelter.
Eyes glowing red I plunge through the darkness.
Fur so black that it swallows light.
Son of a mother of the wood. Son of a father of the sky.
Product of an unholy union.
Tonight I shall live. Tonight I will howl.

Wolf+Freedom=Me
Pup
Pup

Post by Wolf+Freedom=Me » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:16 pm

i did volenteer at my town's humane society.. they had dogs there that were extremely aggressive, no one wanted them.. they had signs all over saying "careful, i bite!" or "EXTREMELY AGGRESSIVE, wear protective clothing!" they wouldn't put them down though cuz it was a "put-down free environment".. they'll never find a home..

WildFire
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by WildFire » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:55 pm

No, I don't think that they should actually sell animals. I agree with just selling supplies. Too many pet shops have animals from puppy mills and so I only get my pets from shelters or responsible breeders. To me, buying from any place else is kind of....messed up because you can't even get the background on the pet like you can from a shelter, and at a breeder's you can see somewhat of what the pup's attitudes will be like by seeing how the mother and father act. I have never recommended anyone to buy from a pet shop, for they may not look it, but for all you know, that cute little puppy could have a deadly disease.

Timberlake
Pup
Pup

Post by Timberlake » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:19 pm

I do agree on the part with the front window..
I was at the mall today and when me and my friends when to the pet store there were dogs from poodles to Huskys to labs in small cages almost the size of a pet carriers.. some looked sick, and ALOT wanted to get out.. Espacialy the pomerians and St. Benards that were there. Plus that new Beverly hills chihuahua movie also raised the want for chihuahuas so there was a suprising amount of chihuahuas..

I like pet shops and how they sell small animals like hamsters and mice, but I don't think dogs and cats should be sold in them. Animal Recuse shelters are a better choice for them. They take better care of there animals. Small compact pet stores in Busy malls shouldn't be able to though, unless they give there animals access to the outside..

That was on my mind.. I had to vent that xD
If they could see you now
They would shurly bow
In the honor of your presence dear
You've come
The cameras blind your eye
Here's the big surprise:
Flash never lasts
You've gotta pay your way back in
Pop-Punk Is So '05- Cobra Starship