WQ 2.5: Lexicon chat shutting down on Dec 3

Archived news, updates and announcements.
loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

WQ 2.5: Lexicon chat shutting down on Dec 3

Post by loboLoco » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:46 am

Heads up to anyone still playing WQ 2.5: Tomorrow (December 3rd), lexicon chat will be shut down, so it will no longer be an option in multiplayer games.

WolfQuest was originally conceived as a multiplayer game, with text chat as an integral component. However, over the years, some players persisted on role-playing in ways that were not appropriate for our audience. That prompted us to add layers of filtering that ultimately made lexicon chat a frustrating experience for everyone. At its heart, the problem was the broad age range of our audience, from nine-year-olds to teenagers and even older, who want and expect different things from in-game chat.

Since 2010, we have planned to disable lexicon chat at some point in the near- or mid-future. We kept extending that date due to ongoing interest in the game. Then, once we started work on WQ 2.7, we decided to keep lexicon chat available until the new version was released. Now that that's happened, the time has come to shut down lexicon chat in 2.5.

WQ 2.7 has new and improved options for chatting in Private Games, while limiting Public Games to Phrase Chat. We understand that this is disappointing and frustrating to many players. We have thought a great deal about adding text chat to Public Games, but at the moment, in our judgment, the risks and effort outweigh the benefits. We may revisit the question in the future, but for the time being, we encourage players to take advantage of the improved chat options in Private Games. We are also accepting suggestions to improve the utility of Phrase Chat.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Kamaal
Name: Kam

Re: WQ 2.5: Lexicon chat shutting down on Dec 3

Post by Kamaal » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:01 am

I really am deeply disappointed after I read your post Dave, I'm not saying that players didn't go against the rules, but it's simply sad hearing that the lexicon in 2.5 will simply die. Some people (including myself) are not able to buy the new version, due to some problems they are facing at the moment. I from my experience have not seen many payers that go against the rules. I would be grateful if you considered keeping the lexicon active for awhile longer. I would buy the new version if I could and I surely will once I'm be able to do so...

-Rain

Maddoka
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Maddoka » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:11 am

I understand why you are shutting Lexicon down. That does not mean that I agree with it, because I never had any troubles with Lexicon, but I guess others did. And I'm sure you are not just shutting it down for fun. ;p So since there still are people breaking the rules, I think it is a good thing that Lexicon will be gone.

But I do wonder why this fast? 2.7 has not been out for a very long time yet, and a lot of people don't have it yet. I feel like a better time to shut Lexicon is after Christmas, because (after reading the forums) it seems like many people are going to get it around that time.

I do feel sad, hearing Lexicon will be gone. Simple because of all my memories when RPing in 2.5, playing the game with my friends. I love WQ2.7 but I can't say I won't miss 2.5.

Kamaal

Post by Kamaal » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:14 am

I agree with Maddoka, it would be good if you considered shutting the lexicon down after Christmas. That way some more people will have the chance to buy the new and improved 2.7.

-Wolf Ghost-
Pup
Pup

Post by -Wolf Ghost- » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:18 am

I agree with Rain and Madd. There ARE reasons to kill lexicon, but it doesn't have to be right now, does it? The lexicon chat is essential to do Role Playing Games, which is what keeps the olders playing the game. Let's agree that it becomes boring ALWAYS having to be a wolf and do wolf things. Lexicon is the only tool that actually allows imagination to flow. Role Playing was how I made friends, and it's so sad watching it just disppears. Please, Dave! Let lexicon live a bit more!

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:41 am

Sorry, I can't delay it. My agreement with the Minnesota Zoo was that we'd shut down lexicon chat after releasing 2.7. It's already had a much longer run than anyone expected when we made this plan back in 2011, and the only reason it's remained active this long is because it took us forever to finish 2.7.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Kamaal

Post by Kamaal » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:47 am

That's understandable... If I may ask, is there any other way of purchasing the game? I'm not able to buy it, cause of some problems I'm facing with online buying. The credit cards and prepayed one's are not in use due to some problems my country is facing right now...
Last edited by Kamaal on Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maddoka
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Maddoka » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:48 am

Hmm, that's too bad. THanks for the quick reply and explaination Dave. Well, I hope that people find a way to take their RPs to WQ 2.7 then.

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:05 pm

Kamaal wrote:That's understandable... If I may ask, is there any other way of purchasing the game? I'm not able to buy it, cause of some problems I'm facing with online buying. The credit cards and prepayed one's are not in use due to some problems my country is facing right now...
We will be putting it on Amazon soon, which might help you. We're also going to have monthly contests for free games, starting next week.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Kamaal

Post by Kamaal » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:08 pm

Alright, thanks for the info Dave, but the thing is that I can't buy anything that is out of my country with credit cards or any other way that includes cards. So if it isn't free or if another solution is not found, I won't be able to buy it. At least not this year...

EDIT: The contests might help, but it's only a matter of luck...
Last edited by Masika on Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding information from double post.

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:14 pm

Kamaal wrote:The contests might help, but it's only a matter of luck...
Kamaal, it'd be really appreciated if you could avoid double posting as this is against the forum guidelines. If you have something to add, remember that you can use the edit feature instead. Thank you very much! :]

Kamaal

Post by Kamaal » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:19 pm

Opsie... forgot... apologies...

-Wolf Ghost-
Pup
Pup

Post by -Wolf Ghost- » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:22 pm

That's so sad! Thanks for elucidating the situation, Dave. I just hope people to be able to move to 2.7 quickly.

Kamaal

Post by Kamaal » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:14 pm

That was it, I guess... The lexicon died... Farewell...
I really feel depressed right now, it's not really pleasant not being able to purchase the new WQ and being forced to simply stop playing it...
Well, I believe some times all of us have to pay the price, for a number of people who broke the rules. Hopefully I can return and play the game again late next year... :(

-Wolf Ghost-
Pup
Pup

Post by -Wolf Ghost- » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:16 pm

I'm so sorry, Rain. I hope to see you soon in 2.7. It would be awesome role playing with you!

Return to “News and Announcements Archive”