New in 2.7: Difficulty levels!

Archived news, updates and announcements.
loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

New in 2.7: Difficulty levels!

Post by loboLoco » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:10 pm

Believe it or not, we've just implemented game-wide difficulty levels in 2.7. The goal is to give players more control over their game experience, and also encourage players to spend more time hunting.

Essentially, difficulty is based on food scarcity -- namely, those old carcasses that you find lying around in the environment. On easy levels, those carcasses are relatively easy to find (though far less common than in v2.5). But on hard levels, they are much scarcer -- only one anywhere in the world (and maybe we'll set that at zero). And when you find a carcass, it only has about 50 health points, which makes it harder to rely on them to fill up to full health. If you want to feed your pups, you'll have to find several carcasses--or go hunting.

Along with that are several other changes to gameplay:
  • • You take less damage (about 35-40% of your health) during a typical elk hunt, so you can start a hunt with 50% health and be likely to get that elk without dying. We hope that also makes elk hunts more appealing. And more realistic.
    • You now have a chance of chasing a grizzly off a carcass. Each time you attack, there’s a 20% chance that the grizzly will give up and go away, leaving the carcass to you. (This was the original idea of grizzlies that somehow got lost along the way.) So there's more of a temptation to go after those grizzlies now.
This new system also incorporates the pup-raising levels that I've mentioned on some threads, which sets the number of predators you must thwart to finish the Defend Den mission, and also sets how quickly your pups grow hungry and need to be fed.

Overall, I'm really excited about this new feature and I hope you all are too.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: New in 2.7: Difficulty levels!

Post by Koa » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:17 pm

The chance to chase off grizzlies is pretty neat; it adds a level of interaction with the grizzly bears that wasn't there before (since they'd either just stand their ground or run away before you had a chance to even directly interact with them). Thanks so much, Dave!

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Maddie

Post by Wolvencall » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:44 pm

This is going to be so awesome i can hardly wait! :D This sounds like it will be amazing and a lot more realistic than the other versions. Will there be lower health for the elk in the winter or?
Last edited by Wolvencall on Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nor-easter Forecast

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:32 pm

Oh my gosh this will be awesome!!! I love the idea of difficulty levels. Even without the other improvements they would make WQ 100% better. I'm excited to try out the new hunting because of changed elk AI and the health adjustments; it should be so much more realistic. I also like that bears can be chased off--that really adds to the whole natural relationship between big predators. Will the experience points awarded per achievement be increased at a higher difficulty level? That would be cool, though I'm not sure how it would impact gameplay.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:30 pm

Nice work! It sounds exciting for sure.

Will the chances that the Grizzly be chased off vary depending if you have a mate or not? I'd think that a grizzly would never run away from a lone wolf, but if there was more than one it might consider it?

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Wolvencall » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:57 pm

How many levels are there in total?

WQlf
Pup
Pup

Post by WQlf » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:21 pm

Wow! I'm so very happy that there will be the ability to have less carcasses in the game! :D Thanks for sharing the news with us! I really like that bears can be chased off from carcasses now, it feels so pointless to attack a bear these days and I'm glad that they will be much more interesting to encounter in 2.7! The new update sounds perfect.

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:22 am

Lobo Laughing wrote: Will the experience points awarded per achievement be increased at a higher difficulty level? That would be cool, though I'm not sure how it would impact gameplay.
We'll see about adding some extra achievements for higher difficulty levels.
Wolvencall wrote:How many levels are there in total?
Four. The easiest level will still have fewer carcasses than the old game--I'm thinking of a cap of four carcasses at any given time. The hardest level will have either a maximum of one carcass at a time...or possibly zero. (But there would still be an occasionally carcass with a grizzly, and elk that you kill will still have 200 health points so you can feed on it a couple of times.)
SolitaryHowl wrote:Will the chances that the Grizzly be chased off vary depending if you have a mate or not? I'd think that a grizzly would never run away from a lone wolf, but if there was more than one it might consider it?
That's a good idea; will think about implementing it if we can.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:42 am

loboLoco wrote:
Lobo Laughing wrote: Will the experience points awarded per achievement be increased at a higher difficulty level? That would be cool, though I'm not sure how it would impact gameplay.
We'll see about adding some extra achievements for higher difficulty levels.
Wolvencall wrote:How many levels are there in total?
Four. The easiest level will still have fewer carcasses than the old game--I'm thinking of a cap of four carcasses at any given time. The hardest level will have either a maximum of one carcass at a time...or possibly zero. (But there would still be an occasionally carcass with a grizzly, and elk that you kill will still have 200 health points so you can feed on it a couple of times.)
SolitaryHowl wrote:Will the chances that the Grizzly be chased off vary depending if you have a mate or not? I'd think that a grizzly would never run away from a lone wolf, but if there was more than one it might consider it?
That's a good idea; will think about implementing it if we can.
Cool! I love all the new updates you guys are adding as you chug along with game development :D

D0m
Name: Dominik

Post by D0m » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:25 am

I'm really excited for the difficulty levels! They sound really fun and interesting- hopefully they will make it more exciting.

Shadziulec
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Shadziulec » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:40 pm

Amazing o3o
I especially love the idea of hunting and damage here-it was way too hard to hunt,now i will be doing that to survive,like real wolf does <3

BlueBellTigger
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by BlueBellTigger » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:58 pm

will the week elk in slough creek snowpack be able to die from hunger and wolfs easer?

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:26 pm

BlueBellTigger wrote:will the week elk in slough creek snowpack be able to die from hunger and wolfs easer?
Doesn't seem like that will be the case here?

BlueBellTigger
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by BlueBellTigger » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:47 pm

Koa wrote:
BlueBellTigger wrote:will the week elk in slough creek snowpack be able to die from hunger and wolfs easer?
I am just saying it because I was just wondering sense the carcases are lower, then maybe it would make the herds smaller and weaker in the winter. that's all :) and then it would be harder for us to hunt the elk that we would need to sustain are self's.

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Wolvencall » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:01 pm

BlueBellTigger wrote:
Koa wrote:
I am just saying it because I was just wondering sense the carcases are lower, then maybe it would make the herds smaller and weaker in the winter. that's all :) and then it would be harder for us to hunt the elk that we would need to sustain are self's.
Eh wolves thrive in the winter it's their best season. It would be the easiest part of the game due to the weakened state of most animals in the winter, if it were harder it wouldn't be as realistic. Good thought though.

Return to “News and Announcements Archive”