WQ 2.7 Pricing

Archived news, updates and announcements.
Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Maddie

Re: WQ 2.7 Pricing

Post by Wolvencall » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:15 am

SolitaryHowl wrote:On the subject of piracy...

I'm very glad WQ is DRM free (on PC/Mac at least)...I've heard DRM is very unpopular and you will end up losing sales on top of the money you sank into making the game have DRM protection. Also, as a gamer...I hate DRM protection.

It was also a good move to have a free demo - I'm always uneasy about buying a game when it doesn't have a demo, because I like to try things before I buy. And $10 is a good price for WQ IMO, considering all the content. If you're a new player and you've hadn't even heard of WolfQuest before....even better because then everything is new to you!

There will always be piracy, people who don't want to pay for something will find a way to get it for free.
What's drm?

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:36 am

Wolvencall wrote:What's drm?
With termonilogy like that, Google is usually your friend. DRM stands for "digital rights management", see it as a protection against copying. DRM free games, then, can be freely copied and installed once you've got access to the files. On top of that, games with DRM may require a client as medium to run them. Games you get on Steam are an example of DRM-protected games.

Or, as someone who is better at explaining things than I am put it-
KaiserWarrior on gamefaqs wrote:DRM is Digital Rights Management. A game with DRM is a game that somehow attempts to tie itself to you after you buy it. In the olden days this was a crude CD-Key, and online multiplayer games would reject multiple connections using the same CD-Key. Nowadays, DRM is usually tied to a client like Steam or Origin; once you buy the game and install it with a key, the game gets tied to your account with that client, and that key cannot be used to install it on any other accounts.

A game that is DRM-Free is a game that does not have any DRM scheme. It can be installed as many times on as many different machines as you want and is not tied to any account anywhere. The idea is that the publisher of that game trusts you, as an honest person, to not distribute their game en-masse. It's effectively the logical extreme of the old Shareware model.
Hope this helped!

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Maddie

Post by Wolvencall » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:43 am

It helped a lot. Thank you Anduril!

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Post by duskypack » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:44 am

Koa wrote:Will fees be waived for the ban parrot?
That's what I want to know! You forgot about one certain pirate. Will we have to exile the parrot from all of WQ?

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:09 am

Ah, pros and cons... I don't mind DRM protection. Sure it means having to be logged in and online to play a game via Steam although I can see the benefits of avoiding it. Shame piracy is a thorn in most companies' sides. Just hope people will buy the game to support the project's future.

The spotted hanky and stick are ready for the crazy birb if we send him on his way. Unless we can reform him to the position of gardener or something less... pirate-y... intervention maybe?
Nothing interesting happens.
[XBL] • [Switch SW-7220-7090-5161]

WQ Wiki WQ Discord WQ Reddit

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:43 am

I definitely want to avoid the worst aspects of DRM, and the game itself will have no DRM. You'll just need an account (and be logged in) to play MP, and to enjoy the various features of user accounts -- most of which require being online anyways. The only one that doesn't, strictly speaking, is Achievements, but there are technical reasons why we require being logged in to earn Achievements.

You'll get a Key (our own WQ Key, not a Steam Key) when you purchase the game, and you'll need that when creating your account. (But I think the parrot can get a free Key.)
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Weylenn
Pup
Pup

Post by Weylenn » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:57 am

Who is this parrot? o: you devs and your strange inside jokes....

ban parrot
Epic Ban Parrot of Doom
Epic Ban Parrot of Doom

Post by ban parrot » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:14 am

Weylenn wrote:Who is this parrot? o: you devs and your strange inside jokes....
Mortal! My authority is no joke! *SQUAWK*!

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:24 am

loboLoco wrote:I definitely want to avoid the worst aspects of DRM, and the game itself will have no DRM. You'll just need an account (and be logged in) to play MP, and to enjoy the various features of user accounts -- most of which require being online anyways. The only one that doesn't, strictly speaking, is Achievements, but there are technical reasons why we require being logged in to earn Achievements.

You'll get a Key (our own WQ Key, not a Steam Key) when you purchase the game, and you'll need that when creating your account. (But I think the parrot can get a free Key.)
Quite interesting...thanks for the insight

Ban parrot gets a free pass? Hahaha....

PeltOfAsh
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Ash

Post by PeltOfAsh » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:46 am

Makes sense, the way you're going about it. Can't wait to see the game in all its glory!

AmberZeWolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by AmberZeWolf » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:03 pm

Lol hey Ban parrot, need a cracker? Now back on topic XD I think this is awesome, and fair that mister ban parrot gets free pass for he protects the MP sessions.

Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Name: Frodo/Jay

Post by Frodo1 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:36 pm

ban parrot wrote:
Weylenn wrote:Who is this parrot? o: you devs and your strange inside jokes....
Mortal! My authority is no joke! *SQUAWK*!
Ah, the mighty Ban Parrot makes an appearance again at last! It is an honor to meet you, O Great One! I would bow, but... this is the internet... so I really can't bow XD

llsaturnskiesll
Pup
Pup
Name: Amy

Post by llsaturnskiesll » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:36 pm

loboLoco wrote:
You'll get aaKey (our own WQ Key, not a Steam Key) when you purchase the game, and you'll need that when creating your account. (But I think the parrot can get a free Key.)
Thanks for the info, Dave. That answered my question about the whole "needing money to create an account" thing. But then I do have one question: I am unsure if my dad has a PayPal account, so what (if any) credit cards would you accept for purchasing the game, or does that not matter?

white fang101
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by white fang101 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:19 pm

CAIT WAIT!!!!

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:20 pm

white fang101 wrote:CAIT WAIT!!!!
Please ensure that your posts consist of at least three words or more as any less is regarded as SPAM. In addition to this, writing in all caps is also considered to be SPAM, so if you could refrain from doing this in the future, that would be great! Thanks. :]

Return to “News and Announcements Archive”