New version: 2.7 for tablet -- and Mac/Windows!

Archived news, updates and announcements.
Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Maddie

Re: New version: 2.7 for tablet -- and Mac/Windows!

Post by Wolvencall » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:55 pm

Genetic errors are possible I think they just wanted it as a special prize for the XP earned

AmberZeWolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by AmberZeWolf » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:56 pm

Eh, that makes sense. It doesn't bug me too much, it just tapped me a little when I noticed most wolves weren't born that color unless they were not pure. I understand the reward thing though.

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:10 pm

Albino isn't the same thing as just white, though. An albino wolf has no pigment (they can't produce melanin, which is the only kind of pigment that most mammals have), and in the case of mammals, that makes the animal appear white with pink or red eyes. So, because the albino pup doesn't have any pigment to give it the dark brown color a normal wolf pup would have, it would appear white at birth instead of dark brown.

Cackle
Pup
Pup
Name: Whiffler

Post by Cackle » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:44 pm

Albinism in biology is the "Congenital absence of any pigmentation or coloration in a person, animal or plant, resulting in white hair and pink eyes in mammals."
So yes, they would have it since birth. And the wolves of Yellowstone aren't exactly 'pure bred' either. Wolves 10 million years ago didn't have any black pelts or anything like it. They have it now because of cross breeding with domestic dogs.
Genetic research from the Stanford University School of Medicine and the University of California, Los Angeles revealed that wolves with black pelts owe their distinctive coloration to a mutation which occurred in domestic dogs, and was carried to wolves through wolf-dog hybridization. On January 15, 2009, a black male wolf from "Mollie's Pack" in the Yellowstone National Park's Pelican Valley was weighed in at 143 lbs, making it the largest Yellowstone wolf on record.

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:15 pm

Snow130 wrote:Well, frankly, the weird thing is pure blood wolves are almost never born white.. Why is the albino pup feature there? Just a question.
The albino pup feature has pretty much been always there.
Last edited by SilkenGalaxy on Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

AmberZeWolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by AmberZeWolf » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:14 pm

I didn't really mean to get bombed with that, all I was saying was that I was unfamiliar with albino/white pups, that was all. It seemed a bit rude that everyone turned on me all the sudden.

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:16 pm

I don't think anyone's turning on you or meaning to seem rude, just explaining albinism and the difference between albino and white. That's all I was trying to do when I replied.

Cackle
Pup
Pup
Name: Whiffler

Post by Cackle » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:47 am

I'm sorry if it seemed like I was berating you or whatever you thought it was. I guess everyone here just likes to teach things, regardless to what it is. :roll: I know I do.

Antsa
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Antsa » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:48 am

When this version can download?

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:50 am

@Antsa: The current estimate is October 27-30, but be aware that there is a chance that it may slip into November.
loboLoco wrote:We've been working really hard to get the game ready for release, hoping for next weekend. Alas, we've had a number of very annoying problems (endless fussing with water effects and terrain glitches, complications with some user account features, and some hard-to-reproduce bugs) that have slowed down our progress considerably this week. So now I have to acknowledge that there's no way we can have it ready to go in a week. I'm as sad about that as anyone, believe me. Then, the following week, I have a 5-day vacation scheduled with my wife, and I don't want to risk divorce by working on the game then. So that puts us into late October, around Oct 27-30. I really do think that's pretty firm, but I'd rather not guarantee it.

I'm very sorry it's taking so long to finish this thing up. The last 5% of a project always does seem to take 50% of time and effort.
loboLoco wrote:So, in the past six weeks of beta testing, our incredibly persistent and dedicated team of beta testers has filed over 300 bug reports. We've fixed well over 250 of those, and have completed more fixes that haven't been retested and confirmed yet. And yet our beta testers forge on, finding still more bugs that need fixing. Not a huge number, and some of them will be pretty simple to fix, but others are strange and mysterious bugs that will take awhile to figure out. We're still working hard to have the game ready to release before the end of October...but....we might not quite make it. Just a heads up. I'll know more early next week when I'm back from vacation and see where we're at. Thanks for your patience!
Source: Release date

will0956
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by will0956 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:12 pm

Just gonna say, you should port it to Unreal Engine 4, I like my uber realistic graphics.

And, besides, it's so easy to run, I was getting around 100fps at max settings on Intel HD Graphics 4000, with a Core i3-3120m.

I now have a Core i7-4720HQ, and a GTX 960m.

rainiepainie
Pup
Pup

Post by rainiepainie » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:36 pm

will0956 wrote:Just gonna say, you should port it to Unreal Engine 4, I like my uber realistic graphics.

And, besides, it's so easy to run, I was getting around 100fps at max settings on Intel HD Graphics 4000, with a Core i3-3120m.

I was gonna ask if a mid range core i5 laptop could handle WQ on max settings- i guess ill be good then! XD since im getting a laptop for christmas which will be a Windows 10, and i want it to handle the games i play.

Nor-easter Forecast

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:40 pm

My computer is an i5 and it can run the game well on 3 out of the 4 graphics settings, so you should be fine. I know the game looks great on my computer. However, the game is too late in development to get ported into a different graphics engine, so what you see in the screenshots is about what you'll get.

Nizuki
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Nizuki » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:02 pm

That's absolutely wonderful to hear! I've honestly been waiting for this day to come. Thankfully it's official! I'll be sure to buy it the day it comes out!

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:51 pm

will0956 wrote:Just gonna say, you should port it to Unreal Engine 4, I like my uber realistic graphics.

Keep WolfQuest's demographic in mind ^^; WQ is targeted to a younger audience rather than older/serious gamers, so I do sorta doubt the average player has a powerful computer like that. I don't know enough about different engines to know if UE4 would make it tough to run on older computers, but I do know for a fact that my toaster PC doesn't manage to reach an awful lot of FPS at the moment already.

I realise it's hypothetical and as Lobo Laughing pointed out, the game is too far ahead in the development stage to even consider porting it, but might be something to consider.

Return to “News and Announcements Archive”