New version: game ending

Archived news, updates and announcements.
Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Maddie

Re: New version: game ending

Post by Wolvencall » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:05 pm

Katserin Kynsi wrote:
Let's stay on topic of the new version's game ending, please. If you'd like to discuss actual wolves, you can do so over at General Wolf Discussion.
(Also, wolves don't actually have ranks such as alpha, beta, etc. Wild wolf packs are generally made up of two parents and their offspring.)
as to why i put quotes around 'alpha male' i wasnt sure what to call a male that usurps the previous parent of the pack. and sorry, I was just trying to explain, i'll do so in private next time.

FoxyWolfy
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by FoxyWolfy » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:11 pm

loboLoco wrote:I think I've come up with an improvement: What makes the ending unsatisfying is (a) It happens so abruptly, and (b) It can be tricky to get everyone into the "zone" -- and it's not 100% clear where exactly the "zone" is. By making this last task more game-like, I think we can address both issues.

1) Show the rendezvous zone somehow (big circle on the ground).
2) Display a counter indicating who is in the zone, and who isn't, so getting your mate and pups to come into the zone is a more obvious challenge, and you get a better sense of progress toward that goal, and it builds up to the payoff -- the howling and camera zoom-up.

Thoughts?
I think the counter is a good idea, maybe pinpointing that a little would be better than enlarging the zone in general? The pups do tend to wander a lot based on my personal experience. I'm constantly having to pick them up and put them back in the center of the rendezvous zone. Perhaps an expansion of the zone would help with this, or the pups could be programmed to not wander from their parents so far.

A cool ending would be a short but sweet cut scene with your pups stinking around you, and you and your mate could exchange a nuzzle or something. Then the camera can zoom up while the family takes a still moment to howl and celebrate their success. This could fade into the credits.

Nere
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Nere » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:54 pm

Rain wrote:I would like to see the game end kind of like how it begins. Some pups leave your pack and some stay when they grow up. And then the player can choose to create a new game with one of the pup's name.

I hope you understand what I mean :oops:
I totally get what you mean rain. Sometimes when I finish the game, I start a new one with one of my pup's name and color and do a new pack. I continue to do this for generations. :)

celawolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Madi

Post by celawolf » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:17 am

I think it would be a lovely idea to add a feature like you being able to play as one of your surviving puppies after the ending, or having a 'roaming' version where you play as your entire pack (parents and pups). Kind of like in 'Shelter 2'.

Edit
Katserin Kynsi wrote:
Let's stay on topic of the new version's game ending, please. If you'd like to discuss actual wolves, you can do so over at General Wolf Discussion.
(Also, wolves don't actually have ranks such as alpha, beta, etc. Wild wolf packs are generally made up of two parents and their offspring.)
You don't really know this, because it can be true that there are different rankings in packs.
It also might not be true, we really don't know.
Last edited by valkea on Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding info from double post

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:22 am

Please do not double post, celawolf. If you have something to add, edit your previous post instead. Regarding "ranks" in wolf packs, you may be interested in this thread regarding wolf pack hierarchy and terms such as alpha.
And, as previously stated in the post you have quoted, please try to stay on topic of the new version's game ending. This is not the thread to discuss whether wolves have ranks or not.

celawolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Madi

Post by celawolf » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:25 am

Katserin Kynsi wrote:
Please do not double post, celawolf. If you have something to add, edit your previous post instead. Regarding "ranks" in wolf packs, you may be interested in this thread regarding wolf pack hierarchy and terms such as alpha.
And, as previously stated in the post you have quoted, please try to stay on topic of the new version's game ending. This is not the thread to discuss whether wolves have ranks or not.
Mhhh okay... Didn't really start it but okay.

And my apologies for double-posting.

Teato wolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Teato wolf » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:22 am

Ugh, I want pups to rise to the adult wolves from some little lumps to strong adult wolves! For taking care for them, playing, licking an learning how to hunt! I think that it would be awesome and more hard!

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Maddie

Post by Wolvencall » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:46 am

Teato wolf wrote:Ugh, I want pups to rise to the adult wolves from some little lumps to strong adult wolves! For taking care for them, playing, licking an learning how to hunt! I think that it would be awesome and more hard!
That would have to be an entirely new episode. That might happen when we're able to get enough money to fund another episode

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:22 am

Wolvencall wrote:
Teato wolf wrote:Ugh, I want pups to rise to the adult wolves from some little lumps to strong adult wolves! For taking care for them, playing, licking an learning how to hunt! I think that it would be awesome and more hard!
That would have to be an entirely new episode. That might happen when we're able to get enough money to fund another episode
It is possibility. All will depend on how well the sales do from the new version.
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=75014

cutepuppy4
Pup
Pup

Post by cutepuppy4 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:44 pm

when the game coming I can't wait ;3

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:45 pm

cutepuppy4 wrote:when the game coming I can't wait ;3
We plan to release WQ 2.7 in late September 2015, but that may slip into October. We plan to release the iPad and Mac/Win versions at the same time, soon followed by Android and Kindle versions.
"When it's ready" is about all I can say. We're getting close, but not close enough to announce a specific date (unless I wanted to play it safe and say "October 20th".)

As we get closer, I'll post updates...but I for sure won't have an exact date until perhaps a week beforehand. So until I've announced a specific date, you can assume it's more than a week out. (And today, you can assume it's more than three weeks out.)

Noella
Name: Noella

Post by Noella » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:03 am

I don't know if someone said this on point but-

What if after the "site" is reached, we are more than copable of still "playing" but not with a continum of a supposed new episode. What if we could hunt with the pups at the very least? The end of the game is when the pups are a year old, right? Or was it six months? So you aren't adding on, just giving yourself freedom instead of having to create a new game and stuff. If you did a new episode in the future, maybe it could carry the characteristics of the wolves from episode 2 forward and stuff.

JordyWild
Pup
Pup

Post by JordyWild » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:19 pm

I've always loved the idea that when you reached the Rendezvous site, that the game continued with your wolf and mate would train the pups on how to hunt (i am aware that younger wolves in a pack will learn how to hunt by watching their parents, thats what i mean) It could be like another mission/quest you have to complete then once you do maybe their could be a like fade to black and then a cutscene/movie would start and it would show your pups growing up and eventually leaving to restart the circle of life, then maybe an option could pop up asking if you would like to restart the game as one of your pups or start a new game with your current wolf or just simply leave the game

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:04 pm

Wolves1100 wrote:I've always loved the idea that when you reached the Rendezvous site, that the game continued with your wolf and mate would train the pups on how to hunt (i am aware that younger wolves in a pack will learn how to hunt by watching their parents, thats what i mean) It could be like another mission/quest you have to complete then once you do maybe their could be a like fade to black and then a cutscene/movie would start and it would show your pups growing up and eventually leaving to restart the circle of life, then maybe an option could pop up asking if you would like to restart the game as one of your pups or start a new game with your current wolf or just simply leave the game
That would probably require a whole lot more funding. Though some of the admins have said before that it's a possibility should sales for 2.7 go well. I think training the juvenile pups would be hard to implement too, not really sure how that'd work.

xLizx
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Ladonna

Post by xLizx » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:31 pm

I truly love Dave's idea of making the den site more obvious without obstructing the reality of... well - reality lol

A land marking such as a den or a group of collective flowers upon approaching the site would help indeed.
I would like to see the den from a slight distance to head towards without having to dash between the map and gameplay and so on until I get lucky and get that abrupt camera pan... And then my mate and pups float away into the sky and a bird snatches my pup in mid-air ( ._.)

And a counter would help out lots. :) Seriously.

Ooh, and a tiny suggestion... When the counter fills up, you hear a tiny tone or note or chord to confirm that the quest has finished, then it fades to black. Within a second, you see the camera pan with your pack howling and the menu appears and all dat owo

Hope my ideas are okay contributations >w<

Return to “News and Announcements Archive”