New version: game ending

Archived news, updates and announcements.
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: New version: game ending

Post by Koa » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:26 pm

loboLoco wrote:I think I've come up with an improvement: What makes the ending unsatisfying is (a) It happens so abruptly, and (b) It can be tricky to get everyone into the "zone" -- and it's not 100% clear where exactly the "zone" is. By making this last task more game-like, I think we can address both issues.

1) Show the rendezvous zone somehow (big circle on the ground).
2) Display a counter indicating who is in the zone, and who isn't, so getting your mate and pups to come into the zone is a more obvious challenge, and you get a better sense of progress toward that goal, and it builds up to the payoff -- the howling and camera zoom-up.

Thoughts?
A counter would be extremely helpful! A visible rendezvous zone is a good idea. I would make it the same color as it is displayed on the map.

Komoria
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Komoria » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:11 pm

I think the counter is a great idea. I think maybe a cut scene of your wolf entering the rendezvous site and then howling would work. Like, once all the pack is in the zone, the screen could fade out to black for a moment and return to a close up of your wolf and the pack walking in, then all howling together and zooming out.

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:09 pm

Komoria wrote:I think the counter is a great idea. I think maybe a cut scene of your wolf entering the rendezvous site and then howling would work. Like, once all the pack is in the zone, the screen could fade out to black for a moment and return to a close up of your wolf and the pack walking in, then all howling together and zooming out.
This is a very good idea, I like the idea of a counter very much and the whole cutscene Komoria came up with. As for how to make the rendezvous site easier to find, how about making a small den model (like the one you would find at a typical wolf rendezvous site) and place it where it is, that way players would see the small den and head towards it, because it is called the "Summer Den" afterall...

Noella
Name: Noella

Post by Noella » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:02 pm

Not that I play anymore, but this should be good input, plus I liked the game^^

What if you showed the pups in an older state after the fade out Komoria suggested? It would be something cool to see...

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:16 pm

loboLoco wrote:I think I've come up with an improvement: What makes the ending unsatisfying is (a) It happens so abruptly, and (b) It can be tricky to get everyone into the "zone" -- and it's not 100% clear where exactly the "zone" is. By making this last task more game-like, I think we can address both issues.

2) Display a counter indicating who is in the zone, and who isn't, so getting your mate and pups to come into the zone is a more obvious challenge, and you get a better sense of progress toward that goal, and it builds up to the payoff -- the howling and camera zoom-up.

Thoughts?
I think that would be fine, as long as the rendezvous marker (on the ground) isn't too obtrusive.

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:23 pm

SolitaryHowl wrote:

Thoughts?
I think that would be fine, as long as the rendezvous marker (on the ground) isn't too obtrusive.
Yes, please. It would be very distracting to see a huge start or a huge circle in the middle of the terrain.....

Miss_Autumn
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Miss_Autumn » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:41 pm

I wish there was more... Like your pups growing up and becoming a pack, going on pack hunts to take down a deer, challenging other packs, increasing your territory. I want a level three :/ it was so fun, but too short!

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:46 pm

Miss_Autumn wrote:I wish there was more... Like your pups growing up and becoming a pack, going on pack hunts to take down a deer, challenging other packs, increasing your territory. I want a level three :/ it was so fun, but too short!

While many people would like to see features such as the aforementioned, it does take a good deal of funding to accomplish that. The tablet version will have some new features (http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=75088) and expansion (if any) upon the Mac/Win version will likely depend on the success of the tablet version.

rueemi2dew
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by rueemi2dew » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:32 am

I think you get a choice to join a pack or grow your own pack starting with your pups. and if you chose your own pack then there should be new conversations like join my pack and other words like that.

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:07 pm

rueemi2dew wrote:I think you get a choice to join a pack or grow your own pack starting with your pups.
  • Since this topic deals with the ending of the game, I am going to assume you are talking about that rueemi2dew :) .

Unfortunately, your suggestion cannot be implemented for a couple of reasons. Koa's post above yours covers the technical aspects of why your suggestion isn't possible at this point in WQ's development. I am going to cover the biology side:

So we end the WQ game with your mate and your wolf's pups all in the rendezvous site. In reality, a parent wolf would not abandon their newly created family pack for one of entirely unrelated wolves. A parent wolf may leave their family pack if one of the offspring usurps its place as the breeding male/female of the pack, but in the game, the pups are still too young to breed. Just like real life wolves, in the game your wolf (and your mate) have invested a lot of energy into creating and raising those pups. In order to see that your pups will survive to a breeding age, your wolf and your mate will continue to raise those pups for another 2+ years!

I hope that helps your understanding of why having your wolf character get an option at the end of the game to either leave and join a new pack or stay with their family is unrealistic for WQ.

Serperior_123
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Serperior_123 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:46 pm

I don't know if this is going to be a bit sad for the faint of heart, but maybe there can be like, a thing of like, your wolf laying on its side, and their mate is laying by, watching, and your wolf dies of old age, and soon after, their mate does as well? I don't know if its too sad or not. I mean, if you are new, you might be heartbroken to see your first wolf die like that. Because, when I first played Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis, and my first dinosaur died, I was heartbroken, and I was probably depressed for about 3 days.

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Post by duskypack » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:57 pm

Thoughts?
To me, the ending is unsatisfying is because it tells you what your pups do and whatnot (without you seeing it) but all you do is go back to the menu screen.

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:35 pm

duskypack wrote:To me, the ending is unsatisfying is because it tells you what your pups do and whatnot (without you seeing it) but all you do is go back to the menu screen.
Sure. But what you want is a whole new episode, not a tweaked ending to the Slough Creek episode.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

HowlerOfTheWolves
Pup
Pup

Post by HowlerOfTheWolves » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:30 pm

I don't know if it's like this for everybody else, but when the game suddenly ends, the camera pans all crazily and my pups start to float all over the place.. that would definitely be a bug to fix LOL. But I agree with a few of the comments above, does it really have to end so abruptly? Not to say that another goal should be implemented because I understand the team doesn't have all the necessary resources to do so (but it would be epic if you could!) but it leaves kind of an empty feel when it stops all of the sudden. Perhaps there can be something a little more than that clearing, like another den or something along those lines?

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Post by duskypack » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:34 pm

HowlerOfTheWolves wrote:I don't know if it's like this for everybody else, but when the game suddenly ends, the camera pans all crazily and my pups start to float all over the place.. that would definitely be a bug to fix LOL. But I agree with a few of the comments above, does it really have to end so abruptly? Not to say that another goal should be implemented because I understand the team doesn't have all the necessary resources to do so (but it would be epic if you could!) but it leaves kind of an empty feel when it stops all of the sudden. Perhaps there can be something a little more than that clearing, like another den or something along those lines?
Pups don't have dens at the rendezvous site or at the age of two months. Nice idea though, I agree.

Return to “News and Announcements Archive”