New version: game ending

Archived news, updates and announcements.
MGandalf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Maria

Re: New version: game ending

Post by MGandalf » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:50 pm

SolitaryHowl wrote:I like dusky's idea.

A montage (if limited funds, perhaps the art could be provided by fans via a contest or something) could be put in place, showing the pups growing up, learning how to hunt, and eventually some dispersing on their own (this would be a good point to enable co-op, or have the option to play as one of your now-grown-up pups...essentially 'auto restarting' the game at the beginning with a random coat colour and random traits). The montage can be educational, which is what WolfQuest is all about, and the 'random traits' can be explained by the fact that you can't control what genes you get from your parents, and that you just have to adapt and enjoy life as it is, no matter what curve-balls life throws at you (which I think is a nice message).

Then, after the montage but before the option to allow the player to 'start over' as one of their pups, the screen should dim (or fade into sepia tones), and credits should roll...with some nice music accompanying it. There should not be an option to skip the credits, unless the player has beaten single-player multiple times, as the hard work and dedication from the WolfQuest Team Members and any volunteers should be recognized and seen by all. I think it would just add a little bit of class to the game, and shouldn't be that hard to do.
I too like it, Dusk!!

Tlitoo
Pup
Pup
Name: T

Post by Tlitoo » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:12 am

I think it'd be good to see pups fully grown like a time lapse.

bonnie bunny
Pup
Pup
Name: Star

Post by bonnie bunny » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:17 pm

I like the idea of the pups growing up and the cut scene Duski mentioned I think its a great addition its added

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Maddie

Post by Wolvencall » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:32 pm

My only problem with the ending was with the eagle and its constant stalking, after I got my mate and pups into the rendezvous site the howl began and I was unable to stop the eagle from swooping in and taking one of my pups.

Noctis_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Noctis_ » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:51 pm

This may be/ is probably too big of an update to be added, but perhaps the game could go on a bit longer? During the summer, pups still have things to learn from their parents as they grow big enough to learn adult responsibilities, like hunting. Maybe you would have to occasionally take your pups on a hunt to teach them how, and after awhile, they might even be able to join you in bringing down elk? Maybe there could be certain goals to reach, like a certain amount of elk brought down by the whole pack, or something like that.
In the fall, maybe there could be a cutscene or a box of information about how one day your pups grow up and leave the pack as dispersal wolves, just as the player did at the start of the game?

I completely understand if this is impossible or unreasonable, though.

D0m
Name: Dominik

Post by D0m » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:04 pm

LunaWolf2468 wrote:This may be/ is probably too big of an update to be added, but perhaps the game could go on a bit longer? During the summer, pups still have things to learn from their parents as they grow big enough to learn adult responsibilities, like hunting. Maybe you would have to occasionally take your pups on a hunt to teach them how, and after awhile, they might even be able to join you in bringing down elk? Maybe there could be certain goals to reach, like a certain amount of elk brought down by the whole pack, or something like that.
In the fall, maybe there could be a cutscene or a box of information about how one day your pups grow up and leave the pack as dispersal wolves, just as the player did at the start of the game?

I don't think the training of the pups would be able to happen, Dave already said that it would not happen with real wolves.
loboLoco wrote:What is it you'd like to be doing with them during that time? (Well, besides substantial new things like training them to hunt prey. That kind of explicit training doesn't happen with real wolves.)

Noctis_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Noctis_ » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:06 pm

LupaValdo2001-2014 wrote:
LunaWolf2468 wrote:This may be/ is probably too big of an update to be added, but perhaps the game could go on a bit longer? During the summer, pups still have things to learn from their parents as they grow big enough to learn adult responsibilities, like hunting. Maybe you would have to occasionally take your pups on a hunt to teach them how, and after awhile, they might even be able to join you in bringing down elk? Maybe there could be certain goals to reach, like a certain amount of elk brought down by the whole pack, or something like that.

I don't think the training of the pups would be able to happen, Dave already said that it would not happen with real wolves.
loboLoco wrote:What is it you'd like to be doing with them during that time? (Well, besides substantial new things like training them to hunt prey. That kind of explicit training doesn't happen with real wolves.)
"Explicit training" isn't what I was talking about. Many juvenile animals learn by watching their parents. In the case of wolves, this would be the pups tagging along on a hunt and watching their parents take down an elk.

Rain
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Rain » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:06 am

I would like to see the game end kind of like how it begins. Some pups leave your pack and some stay when they grow up. And then the player can choose to create a new game with one of the pup's name.

I hope you understand what I mean :oops:

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Wolvencall » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:30 pm

loboLoco wrote:I think I've come up with an improvement: What makes the ending unsatisfying is (a) It happens so abruptly, and (b) It can be tricky to get everyone into the "zone" -- and it's not 100% clear where exactly the "zone" is. By making this last task more game-like, I think we can address both issues.

1) Show the rendezvous zone somehow (big circle on the ground).
2) Display a counter indicating who is in the zone, and who isn't, so getting your mate and pups to come into the zone is a more obvious challenge, and you get a better sense of progress toward that goal, and it builds up to the payoff -- the howling and camera zoom-up.

Thoughts?
would it be possible to make the rendevous site look more natural, like a mission of marking it or a 'circle' of trees and some scattered bushes? or make it like the 'sandbox' the wapiti lake pack pups frequent in, should be pics on yellowstone reports maybe or online or a dip in the ground

BlueBellTigger
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by BlueBellTigger » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:23 pm

Maybe we could have bushes & trees, with a sand box & a den that is a cave? maybe.

at the end we could come close to the clearing, then it blacks out, then we trot in and the pups go in front of the wolf mom & dad looking around, then the dad sniffs the area while the mom howls & then the dad, then one by one the wolfs all howl, while it zooms out. after that a screen comes up, saying.

-Congratulations! You made it to the rendezvous site, here is your new den, have fun!-
or something like that. :)

hope you like my idea!

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Wolvencall » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:28 pm

By the time wolves are big enough to travel to the rendezvous site they are usually too big to fit in the den, especially if the mother wants in too, but its a good idea :D

BlueBellTigger
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by BlueBellTigger » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:36 pm

(Gosh! I never new my Idea Was that good to get a comment! THANKS!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )

that's a good point there, but I meant for the den there to be for the next year ^-^
of cores, when we would have enough funds.

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Wolvencall » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:47 pm

Well usually the female wolf chooses a den that she was raised in if a new 'alpha male' appeared and there wasn't another female suitable enough to bear pups or around the territory that she would usually raise past pups. and hopefully eventually they'll be able to make a third episode with more prey/predators and a bigger pack and no problem :3

BlueBellTigger
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by BlueBellTigger » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:49 pm

ok then, I think I get it. Thanks though, I think I get ur point there. :? :)

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:54 pm

Let's stay on topic of the new version's game ending, please. If you'd like to discuss actual wolves, you can do so over at General Wolf Discussion.
(Also, wolves don't actually have ranks such as alpha, beta, etc. Wild wolf packs are generally made up of two parents and their offspring.)

Return to “News and Announcements Archive”