New version: multiplayer and chatting

Archived news, updates and announcements.
Kelvin
Pup
Pup

Re: New version: multiplayer and chatting

Post by Kelvin » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:32 pm

With regard to the new account system, will we be able to reserve our forum names?

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:27 am

Kelvin wrote:With regard to the new account system, will we be able to reserve our forum names?
I don't think any abilities to reserve usernames exist, considering it is a new account system and does not have any ties with forum accounts.

smitty

Post by smitty » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:23 pm

Just to clear up my slight confusion that has occured. So there won't be any text chat like in the past for open MP servers, or will it just be constricted to private games strictly?

All in all besides my slight confusion with that, I can't wait! C:

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:35 pm

smitty wrote:Just to clear up my slight confusion that has occured. So there won't be any text chat like in the past for open MP servers, or will it just be constricted to private games strictly?
Correct, actually being able to freely type your own sentences will be limited to private games only. The upside to this is that the game will have gotten rid of the lexicon, thus giving you a lot more freedom in the words you can use.

Public games will have phrased chat and allow you to communicate through a bunch of preset sentences, which I'm assuming will be extensive enough to permit you to have fun and communicate with your fellow players properly despite the restrictions.

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:30 pm

Kelvin wrote:With regard to the new account system, will we be able to reserve our forum names?
Alas, no. With that in mind, my plan is to release the game *only* here on WolfQuest.org for a few days, so regular forum users can get the game and create their account and claim their name, before I make it public on other game storefronts.

And once we get closer to release, I will start making noises about it coming soon, so in the meantime you don't have to check every three hours. The beta testers have found a fair number of bugs that we need to fix, so that may take a bit longer than I was hoping. Late Sept looks unlikely now, but hopefully it won't be too far into October. Sorry! We're as eager to release it as you all are to play it.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:40 pm

loboLoco wrote:
Alas, no. With that in mind, my plan is to release the game *only* here on WolfQuest.org for a few days, so regular forum users can get the game and create their account and claim their name, before I make it public on other game storefronts.

And once we get closer to release, I will start making noises about it coming soon, so in the meantime you don't have to check every three hours. The beta testers have found a fair number of bugs that we need to fix, so that may take a bit longer than I was hoping. Late Sept looks unlikely now, but hopefully it won't be too far into October. Sorry! We're as eager to release it as you all are to play it.
Ok, at least it's good to see that there are updates every once in a while!

[A]lpha
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by [A]lpha » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:15 pm

Voice chat is a good idea. But, for those who feel uncomfortable sharing their voice with people, they should stay away from it. I personally advise you to be confident with your voice and only share it with people you trust. As for text chat, keeping it should be a priority. However, unconstrained could be troublesome for some people. Allowing it into Private and Open games is a "Woohoo!" for some people, but other people may not be as excited such as young kids and parents who monitor their accounts. I feel that the lexicon chat from 2.5 SHOULD BE KEPT for younger kiddies. On the side when choosing your multiplayer game it should say list which chat it is for example:

Free Chat

Restrained Chat

Phrase Chat

No Chat

Verbal Chat (private games)

These are just ideas.

Arctica10
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Local Supercluster, Universe

Post by Arctica10 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:38 am

duskypack wrote:Does anyone know of the voice button you can click on an iPad so you talk and it turns into words? Could that be used for ease of chatting in Multiplayer?
This is similar to what came to my mind after reading about the issues for people with smaller screens and the pop-up keyboard. There could be an icon on the screen that when tapped would record voice and turn what the player says into text, much like the voice search option on Google. The player would see the text form as he or she spoke and once finished speaking would have the option to submit the text or re-record if the text is wrong. I don't know if it is too late to suggest this, but it would eliminate the need for a pop-up keyboard on small screens.

animal3lover24
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by animal3lover24 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:02 pm

I must say, I love the idea of a co-op, but it would be extremely difficult to successfully raise pups without lexicon(as others have stated). Unless you plan on adding more phrases(or already have, and even then), I think it would be best to at least have lexicon available for the co-op.

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:15 pm

@animal3lover24: The team are taking suggestions for phrase chat expansion. Everyone is welcome to check it out and contribute. ^^
Lexicon's 2.5 days are numbered, and it will be absent in 2.7. You'll be able to use a less restrictive text chat in private games.

Flyinghearts
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Flyinghearts » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:49 pm

I say keep lexicon chat. Honestly, Phrase chat is going to annoy the living spirit outta me. If no lexicon is final, then PLEASE add in body language of some type.

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:27 am

Flyinghearts wrote:I say keep lexicon chat. Honestly, Phrase chat is going to annoy the living spirit outta me. If no lexicon is final, then PLEASE add in body language of some type.
I can totally understand your frustrations about the removal of the chat lexicon and having to deal with a phrase chat but if you'd rather not used the phrased chat, you could always consider setting up private games and playing with your friends there. This is because the team have implemented other chatting options in private games in comparison to public games. So your freedom in terms of chatting hasn't totally been eliminated in multiplayer! :3
loboLoco wrote:Private Games (which are now much more reliable!) will have:
-Text Chat (probably with a naughty-word block, but otherwise unconstrained--no lexicon)
-Voice Chat
-Phrase Chat

Public Games will only have Phrase Chat.

Also, players under age 13 will be restricted to phrase chat in all MP game modes, unless they get parental consent for text and voice chat. That's a legal requirement due to the US COPPA law.
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... 8#p2388748

With regard to the actual lexicon itself, it does seem like some form of text chat hasn't been /totally/ ruled out for public games in the future, but the outlook seems dim due to the problems that the lexicon has presented during its history in terms of chatting.
loboLoco wrote:Honestly, lexicon chat is dead. It's too annoying for normal players and yet too tempting for rude people. Private games will have nearly unrestricted text chat and I encourage you to find ways to set up those games with other players. I won't rule out adding text chat to public/open games at some point, but there is a lot of painful history on our end with lexicon chat that is hard to overcome.
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... 1#p2406591

I think the addition of body language options would be pretty cool too and I've seen some other people suggest it earlier in the topic, so perhaps that might be something that the team could look into in the future if it's desirable and possible to do based on costs. c:

WolvesSoul
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by WolvesSoul » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:28 pm

Im really looking forward to the 2.7 update, I check the website almost everyday to see if it released, but I really dont like the fact Open MP servers will only have phrased chat, I know I wont be able to stand it, I was hoping you could keep the lexicon chat in open MP sessions, some people dont even know about the forums and might find it difficult to find a private session just to have the freedom to say what they want instead of chosing a list of words, Still looking forward to the update and please consider what I said! keep Lexicon in Open MP sessions! Btw I was hoping you might have an idea when its ready to release, like a specific date like 20-28 for example

Flyinghearts
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Flyinghearts » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:33 pm

SilverHybrid wrote:-snip-
Oh, thank you for the info.

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:49 pm

No problem - I initially had the same worries before the other chat options for private games had been established, so I totally get where you were coming from! c:
WolvesSoul wrote:Btw I was hoping you might have an idea when its ready to release, like a specific date like 20-28 for example
Based on what has been stated by Dave and the staff, it would appear that there is not a specific release time as far as dates go. However, with regard to a release in general, in the FAQ for 2.7 it states this;
Loboloco wrote:We plan to release WQ 2.7 in late September 2015, but that may slip into October. We plan to release the iPad and Mac/Win versions at the same time, soon followed by Android and Kindle versions.
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=75087

However to add to this, on the previous page in this topic, Dave had briefly touched upon the release of 2.7.
loboLoco wrote:And once we get closer to release, I will start making noises about it coming soon, so in the meantime you don't have to check every three hours. The beta testers have found a fair number of bugs that we need to fix, so that may take a bit longer than I was hoping. Late Sept looks unlikely now, but hopefully it won't be too far into October. Sorry! We're as eager to release it as you all are to play it.
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... 5#p2408459

All in all, try not to spend hours staying up awaiting for the game - patience is key! I'm sure the team is working very hard to try and get the game released whenever possible whilst ensuring the game is of a high quality (though I'm certain it will be!), although it's certainly hard to contain the excitement. :3

Return to “News and Announcements Archive”