WQ: Tablet version: Wolf customization options

Archived news, updates and announcements.
alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Re: WQ: Tablet version: Wolf customization options

Post by alethe » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:00 am

Lunawolf1818 wrote: What if a lot of other people WANT blue for their eye color in an adult version of the wolve? Thats not fair for them! Besides, YOU dont have to choose blue for a color, think about other people here to, not just yourself.
The entire point of WolfQuest was for realism. It is very rare for wolves to have blue eyes, and instead of spending money on something that will get abused, why not spend money on something to make the game more realistic and return it to its original purpose?

RoarOriole

Post by RoarOriole » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:46 am

More specific regions for the tint feature already available in the game would be nice, or a possible addition to it, perhaps?

Example, when you choose the white/arctic pelt, changing the fur's 'tint' simply makes it solid gray, brown or tan (or was one of them liver? I can never tell). An additional tint slider could maybe effect very specific areas of the wolf's features, such as the top of the snout, the ears, and maybe even the muzzle (I've seen white wolves with what looks like black tinted muzzles).

I can't remember if this is already in the game or not but maybe just a 'random' button for the wolf's stats that would generate a set for the player.

This isn't really a customizable thing but being able to play and view the wolf's animations would be nice as well. I think it'd be a cute little addition, if possible.

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:54 pm

• I like the randomized option Shusuke, that would be cool for stats and colors.

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Post by duskypack » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:33 pm

I don't think you should customize your mate, you get what you get, but it could have distinct marking that would be kewl.

Pups should just be a mix of the parents, each one should be unique,and I think puppy 4 should be smaller then puppy 2, pups have different sizes with a runt. Same differing traits like the mate as well. And perhaps there should be a bit more 'training', not as a quest but it is possible.

WulfLuver911
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by WulfLuver911 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:44 pm

I agree with the whole bear and scratch concept with the scars, I just want to add onto that, because maybe the person doesn't want their wolf to have scars, so in the customation, there could be a scar on/off button of some sort.

Owlir
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Owlir » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:47 pm

Lunawolf1818 wrote:
Tonbei wrote:
  • I like tattered's angle. I would be delighted to see the wolf's physique change as you move the stat bars, such that more than just the wolf's overall scaled size changes when speed, strength, and stamina are adjusted. Although I admit these changes would probably be hard to see on the models once in game.

Another idea is to see the wolf's fur coat moult off in the summer, and be thicker in the wintertime. Maybe subtle texture changes to indicate that?

Scars might be hard to see. I am okay with eye color changes so long as blue is not an option for adult wolves :lol: !
What if a lot of other people WANT blue for their eye color in an adult version of the wolve? Thats not fair for them! Besides, YOU dont have to choose blue for a color, think about other people here to, not just yourself.
---
What Luna was saying was the wanted realistic colors for eyes. Blue eye colors are not realistic for adult wolves, only puppies. And the beginning post explained that they were only adding realistic customizations to the game.

Dydraness
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Dydraness » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:14 am

perhaps include different types of markings, and different types of faces? (ex. a thin face with a long muzzle or a broad face with a short broad muzzle). not enough to spend a huge amount of time experimenting with markings and complexions like you can in Feral Heart, but enough to make the wolf a little more unique

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by duskypack » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:13 pm

Yellow snow.

'Nuff said.

Okay, maybe not...

Crystal Moon Light
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Crystal Moon Light » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:37 pm

I really like all these ideas! I especially like the age, eye color, fur thickness, personality traits and mentoring your pups ideas. :D

OmniscentCourage
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by OmniscentCourage » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:29 pm

I would love to witness pups grow up throughout the game, instead of taking them to a new area and having the game end there. It'd be nice to even start out as a pup with your own mother and father and siblings and then hunt with your family (A.I.s) I would love to see physical changes with the wolf when it's hungry and when it's been injured by a bear or elk.

Also, more prey! Like prairie dogs during the warm seasons and more predators like cougars/mountain lions and maybe hawks/eagles you could kill and eat or chase away. I also like the idea of a new map and better chats.

IceaPlayzPC
Name: Icea or Emile

Post by IceaPlayzPC » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:04 pm

My favourite idea is the thing where you start as a pup. it makes the game not completeable in one day since I can complete WQ on computer in just 3 or 5 hours without taking breaks other than you know..........

I also like the eye colour idea too! ^_^

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:43 pm

I suggest width settings for the wolf (such as thick or thin settings) and I think this has been suggested before but please add realistic markings because then you can make your wolf more original. :)

Mist Haven
Pup
Pup

Post by Mist Haven » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:19 pm

OmniscentCourage wrote:I would love to witness pups grow up throughout the game, instead of taking them to a new area and having the game end there. It'd be nice to even start out as a pup with your own mother and father and siblings and then hunt with your family (A.I.s)
I agree with OmniscentCourage, but, I'm positive that this was mentioned before, I fear as that would take too much memory on the iPad, but it would be a magnificent addition!

I think traits would be great, and overall fun to experience and experiment with.

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:16 am

I'm taking a fresh look at the customization possibilities, since we know it's very important to players. I really would like to offer some nice new customization options -- but since these will take additional development effort, we'd make them into packs for in-app purchases. Generally pretty cheap per pack -- $1-$3 (though I have an idea for one that would be more special and expensive).

I do want them to hew to realism and in-game suitability. The latter means that wolf body sizes can't vary much (since that has implications for elk-biting and other things), and I don't think the personality thing fits in the customization scheme.

We can definitely have a much greater variety of coat colors/patterns. I'm hoping to have eye color, though we need to do some work to make sure it'll work on iPad 2 (that being the lowest-power tablet that the game will run on). I'd like to have several different howls to choose from. I would like to improve the tint slider as Shusuke suggests, but there are some technical limitations that may prevent that.

I've been looking for photos of scars and other distinguishing marks on wolves, particularly Yellowstone wolves, but can't find much. So if anyone can find good reference photos showing such things, please link to them here, and we'll take a look. We'd prefer to stick with Yellowstone wolves, but any wolf subspecies would be helpful. Dogs and hybrids, not so much, unless you can find some mention of a similar thing on a wild wolf.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by duskypack » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:13 pm

For scar ideas, Loboloco, I suggest you check out Wyndbains Wolf Maker (lots of scar ideas there!). There is also the wallpaper I see everywhere: https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.6079937 ... 6&pid=15.1

I think scars would mostly be on a wolf's chest and face, where an elk could kick it. What do you think?

I'm really disappointed to hear about the possibility of in-app purchases, because nobody likes in-app purchases on a game that already costs money!

Despite this one thing I don't want in the Tablet Version, I'm all for supporting Wolfquest, the game must go on I suppose :3

-Dusk

Edit: I think you should only have basic customizations for now, and save the rest to be released later so we can play Wolfquest Tablet version while your still working on the customization options and there can be an update! What do you think?

Return to “News and Announcements Archive”