WQ: Tablet version: Wolf customization options

Archived news, updates and announcements.
Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Maddie

Re: WQ: Tablet version: Wolf customization options

Post by Wolvencall » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:27 am

roguemoon wrote:
Rain wrote:I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this before - ripped ears! Or do wolves get their ears ripped by other wolf, bear, etc...?
I've seen lots of dogs with tears in the ears so I would assume wolves can get them too. Ears are an easily damaged spot so I assume in a brutal encounter with either a rival wolf or another predator they would likely be bitten.
I don't know most animals aren't gonna play around and go for the ears in a full out fight. They'll be going for where it sounds such as the throat or eyes. But I do assume that tattered ears are still realistic.

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:32 am

Wolvencall wrote:
roguemoon wrote:
Rain wrote:I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this before - ripped ears! Or do wolves get their ears ripped by other wolf, bear, etc...?
I've seen lots of dogs with tears in the ears so I would assume wolves can get them too. Ears are an easily damaged spot so I assume in a brutal encounter with either a rival wolf or another predator they would likely be bitten.
I don't know most animals aren't gonna play around and go for the ears in a full out fight. They'll be going for where it sounds such as the throat or eyes. But I do assume that tattered ears are still realistic.
Tattered ears are actually mentioned in the first post as something the Team had on their mind, and if you check out the picture thread in this board (New Version: Pictures and More) you'll notice injured ears have been added ;)

Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Name: Frodo/Jay

Post by Frodo1 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:36 am

Wolvencall wrote:
roguemoon wrote:
My dog is a rescue/assumedly taken off the streets as a puppy/adolescent and she has a small notch in her ear. While you're correct in saying most animals probably wouldn't go for the ears in a real fight (and most play fights probably wouldn't get violent enough to cause any real damage to the ears), if an animal went for, say, the side of the face or neck and the ear got in the way, it could easily get torn. At least that's my thought on it.
Definitely looking forward to them being added! :)

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Wolvencall » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:48 am

I understand that they'll go for the throat I didn't say ears never got it the way it does happen I'm just saying animals probably aren't purposefull going to go for the ears sorry.

rainiepainie
Pup
Pup

Post by rainiepainie » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:22 pm

I'd love the idea of being able to change eye colours and not being stuck with the generic yellow. Since this is a realistic game, I'm thinking colours like amber, brown, grey, green, gold.
Also i know this is for the tablet version, but I'd love for this to also be on the PC version if possible!

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Wolvencall » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:36 pm

rainiepainie wrote:I'd love the idea of being able to change eye colours and not being stuck with the generic yellow. Since this is a realistic game, I'm thinking colours like amber, brown, grey, green, gold.
Also i know this is for the tablet version, but I'd love for this to also be on the PC version if possible!
eh green isn't really realistic but it would be neat to have eye color adjustment in various shades of yellow such as light to amber yellow with some gray tinting in there, and since the game is nearly done well just have to wait and see if there is an eye color adjustment.

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:01 pm

Wolvencall wrote:
rainiepainie wrote:I'd love the idea of being able to change eye colours and not being stuck with the generic yellow. Since this is a realistic game, I'm thinking colours like amber, brown, grey, green, gold.
eh green isn't really realistic but it would be neat to have eye color adjustment in various shades of yellow such as light to amber yellow with some gray tinting in there, and since the game is nearly done well just have to wait and see if there is an eye color adjustment.
I don't believe there will be, but can't remember where I saw the answer for this. Eye colour is such a minor adjustment (and, in all honesty, would be barely noticeable unless you zoomed right up to your wolfs face) that it isn't really worth the effort or money when other more important features can be implemented.

rainiepainie
Pup
Pup

Post by rainiepainie » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:06 pm

roguemoon wrote:
Wolvencall wrote:
I don't believe there will be, but can't remember where I saw the answer for this. Eye colour is such a minor adjustment (and, in all honesty, would be barely noticeable unless you zoomed right up to your wolfs face) that it isn't really worth the effort or money when other more important features can be implemented.
Now that you mention it, thats true. Maybe it could be added later since, compared to the other additions, this one is pretty small lol.

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Wolvencall » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:35 pm

yeah it is pretty insignificant of a feature, i'd nearly prefer a new injury system over eye color.

Kitsuma
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Kitsuma » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:24 pm

Actually a green eye color in wolves is realistic. In fact sometimes the green can look blue in some lights. Now, I'm not saying it is a "blue" eye color. I am saying that it just gives the appearance of blue in the light. So green is realistic.

Now, I don't think it would be a waste of money. I am a huge believer of customization. It makes the character or avatar seem more for you. You made this wolf. It is your character. Eye color would help make it more your wolf. To me, it makes the game more fun and personal.

Now for a suggestion, I didn't see it suggested, which doesn't mean it hasn't been. I would like to maybe add different kind of scars. We have the claw marks for the face, and the torn ears. Really cool I might add! But what about burn marks? There is the part in Amethyst Mountain where the forest is forever burned. In Slough Creek we can witness fires when lightning strikes. I think it would be pretty amazing if we could give our wolves burn marks.

Also, if you wanted to make an older wolf, bald spots?

Nor-easter Forecast

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:35 pm

Kitsuma wrote:Actually a green eye color in wolves is realistic. In fact sometimes the green can look blue in some lights. Now, I'm not saying it is a "blue" eye color. I am saying that it just gives the appearance of blue in the light. So green is realistic.

Now, I don't think it would be a waste of money. I am a huge believer of customization. It makes the character or avatar seem more for you. You made this wolf. It is your character. Eye color would help make it more your wolf. To me, it makes the game more fun and personal.

Now for a suggestion, I didn't see it suggested, which doesn't mean it hasn't been. I would like to maybe add different kind of scars. We have the claw marks for the face, and the torn ears. Really cool I might add! But what about burn marks? There is the part in Amethyst Mountain where the forest is forever burned. In Slough Creek we can witness fires when lightning strikes. I think it would be pretty amazing if we could give our wolves burn marks.

Green is an extremely rare eye color, for both wolves and dogs. Yes, it occurs, but having it available in customization would create the misleading impression it is a common wolf eye color. Being able to choose between different hues of brown/amber/gray sounds neat, but any other color defeats the educational purpose of the game.

Also, some of the "Life is Rough" coats have mange, a skin disease common in canines. Depending on your imagination, you could probably pretend those injuries were burns (they do look like them) or age-spots.

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:39 pm

Lobo Laughing wrote:
Kitsuma wrote:Actually a green eye color in wolves is realistic. In fact sometimes the green can look blue in some lights. Now, I'm not saying it is a "blue" eye color. I am saying that it just gives the appearance of blue in the light. So green is realistic.

Green is an extremely rare eye color, for both wolves and dogs. Yes, it occurs, but having it available in customization would create the misleading impression it is a common wolf eye color. Being able to choose between different hues of brown/amber/gray sounds neat, but any other color defeats the educational purpose of the game.

Also, some of the "Life is Rough" coats have mange, a skin disease common in canines. Depending on your imagination, you could probably pretend those injuries were burns (they do look like them) or age-spots.
Yeah, makes total sense. Green eyes are not very common, and many people (like me) make the horrible mistake of making a ton of green-eyed or blue-eyed wolf characters, when in real life it is a rarity, so it's best to leave green eye color out of the game.

Kitsuma
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Kitsuma » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:04 pm

I have to disagree. By not having it, you may give the impression that wolves cannot have that eye color. If you want a realistic like game, you should include all things that wolves can have, however rare they may be. True, the problem comes with many people creating green eyed wolves, but could the same problem be said for those who always make pure black or white wolves?

Also thanks for the information on the life is rough. I didn't get a good look at it, so I couldn't really tell. Still I think actual burn marks and the like would be something still cool to implement, that way you can still have your coat of choice without having to go with an already predesignated one.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:16 pm

Kitsuma wrote:I have to disagree. By not having it, you may give the impression that wolves cannot have that eye color. If you want a realistic like game, you should include all things that wolves can have, however rare they may be. True, the problem comes with many people creating green eyed wolves, but could the same problem be said for those who always make pure black or white wolves?

Also thanks for the information on the life is rough. I didn't get a good look at it, so I couldn't really tell. Still I think actual burn marks and the like would be something still cool to implement, that way you can still have your coat of choice without having to go with an already predesignated one.
Having them readily available will likely give people the impression that they are common; people would probably gravitate towards blue eyes, for instance, and before you know it, there's quite a few blue-eyed wolves running among in multiplayer or within the save files of a few.

I wouldn't say the wolves on the game are pure black or white (although you might have a stronger case with the black wolves because of the tints available to players); ticking is still visible on the white wolf.

Kitsuma
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Kitsuma » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:52 am

Koa wrote:
Kitsuma wrote:I have to disagree. By not having it, you may give the impression that wolves cannot have that eye color. If you want a realistic like game, you should include all things that wolves can have, however rare they may be. True, the problem comes with many people creating green eyed wolves, but could the same problem be said for those who always make pure black or white wolves?

Having them readily available will likely give people the impression that they are common; people would probably gravitate towards blue eyes, for instance, and before you know it, there's quite a few blue-eyed wolves running among in multiplayer or within the save files of a few.

I wouldn't say the wolves on the game are pure black or white (although you might have a stronger case with the black wolves because of the tints available to players); ticking is still visible on the white wolf.
The intent is still there of what they are trying to accomplish with the pure white and black.

Perhaps then, it would be wise to implement something that when you hover, it says something about it. A little tid bit of information. Such as hovering over the green eyes, "An extremely rare eye color found within wolves." And if hovered over like amber eyes, "An extremely common eye color." To educate the gamers.

Or, perhaps you would have to buy the rarer colors? That way, those who don't want to pay, get the common colors, but those who do pay, will get them.

Yes people will gravitate towards the rarer colors, but I don't think that gets rid of the education in the game. Better to have it, and to make it available, then to be restricting because players will want to make their wolf the way they want to.

Return to “News and Announcements Archive”