WQ: Tablet version: Wolf customization options

Archived news, updates and announcements.
loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Re: WQ: Tablet version: Wolf customization options

Post by loboLoco » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:10 pm

Well, we could increase the price of the game to include the customizations, but i suspect that would be more annoying. Nobody has to spend the money on the customizations, but they won't exist unless we can charge for them. So making them IAP puts the choice in your hands.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Post by duskypack » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:05 pm

Alright, but I'd appreciate them if they were cheap (less then half the price of the full game.)

Captain Rora
Name: Anda, Rora/Roars, Lawrence
Location: The Point of N̨̗̠̲͔͍̘͜o̫̟͍͉͔̲̠ͅ ̢͈͎̝͎͍̳̥R̨̧̜̣̰̣̟͙e̘̗̣͓̝͓̺̹t̨͈̠̯̙̤͚̭ų͎̖̞̦̲̬ͅr̡̙̥̹̩͓̣̣n̖̠̪͚̩̞͈͙

Post by Captain Rora » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:32 pm

loboLoco wrote:I've been looking for photos of scars and other distinguishing marks on wolves, particularly Yellowstone wolves, but can't find much. So if anyone can find good reference photos showing such things, please link to them here, and we'll take a look. We'd prefer to stick with Yellowstone wolves, but any wolf subspecies would be helpful. Dogs and hybrids, not so much, unless you can find some mention of a similar thing on a wild wolf.
I've seen a lot of photos [mainly stock photos] of wolves with scars on their muzzles and faces, probably from where another takes their snout in their mouth as a display of dominance. Example:

http://www.dawnthieves.de/Member/Kati/P ... Lun-06.jpg [Kind of hard to see, since her wounds have mostly healed]
http://www.dawnthieves.de/Member/Kati/P ... ike-02.jpg [There are also pictures of this wolf with fresher wounds on their face, though I'm not sure if that would count as "gory" thus breaking la rules of the site]

These wolves are in captivity, but their scars are from each other so I guess it counts. [?]

Also: Question. Would your mate possibly have scars and such? I think that would be cool.

And the build of your wolf would be cool, paired with the stat thing as said before. Even subtle changes in height or limp thickness would be awesome.

I doubt that missing legs or blind eyes would be possible, I presume? Most wolves probably wouldn't survive like that, anyways.

Shadow Of Night
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Shadow Of Night » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:21 am

I think it'd be great if all these things coming on tablet (customization, inside den etc.) would be included in the PC version as well. I personally don't own a tablet and I like it better playing on PC.
Please consider including these new stuff on PC version.

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:45 pm

Regarding bringing the tablet updates to the computer versions-
loboLoco wrote:3) The tablet version of the game (for iPad and likely Android/Kindle tablets) is in development, with bugfixes and a number of improvements and enhancements. We expect to release that later this year (sometime between September and December). We are funding this internally, so are counting on app sales to make back our investment. Should it be a big success, we will use those revenues to expand the game, possibly even another episode, though that would require very strong sales.

Source: The status of things

The tablet version FAQs appear to have been updated-
loboLoco wrote:We may then consider releasing a new Mac/Win version with all the improvements and additions, with similar pricing.
Source: Tablet version: Release date and device compatibility
Ideally, keep your eyes peeled on the WolfQuest News & Announcements forum in the future. Nothing is impossible, and if there's any news about the computer versions being updated, let alone the tablet versions, it's more than likely to be posted in this section by a member of the WolfQuest Team. ^^

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:22 pm

• Nice image finds Beta Head! I have used dawntheives as an image reference for artwork before, they have a good variety.

The ears and muzzle seem like the most likely places to observe scarring on a typical gray wolf. Scarring anywhere else probably wouldn't be worth implementing.

Shadziulec
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Shadziulec » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:47 am

Black pelt with white underfur + green eyes please.Yes,please.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:03 pm

Maybe unique coat colours (that are still realistic, of course), scars (like others have suggested), or a few unique howls (or the ability the change the pitch of the current howl, if that's easier). You could put the customization options as a package deal for a set price, or charge for each feature individually (for those who don't want the package deal. Its always good to provide choice to the user.)

A question: in the tablet version, is one still required to register on the forums to participate in multiplayer? If so, maybe a 'special' paid customization option could be added (that isn't part of a package deal?) that allows the player to change the name of their wolf (keeping the same username, the username would still show up in the logs/at the beginning of the chat when they come in, but the name tag, map, and chat displays their chosen name).

You 'might' want to include an option that will remove ads in the game (if ads are going to be allowed...which would be helpful for additional revenue.). Ads could appear during loading screens, but if you pay to have the ads removed, then a loading bar (with random or scrolling wolf facts, maybe?) could be in its place. Just an idea.

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Post by duskypack » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:31 pm

Cynder1999 wrote:Black pelt with white underfur + green eyes please.Yes,please.
We all love green eyes, but those are extremely unrealistic, nearly impossible with Wolves.

I would appreciate it if the game is kept ad-free, they are super annoying in games, especially ipad games! Urgh...

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:23 pm

duskypack wrote:
We all love green eyes, but those are extremely unrealistic, nearly impossible with Wolves.

I would appreciate it if the game is kept ad-free, they are super annoying in games, especially ipad games! Urgh...
Exactly - ads are annoying! Which is why there is almost always an option to pay to have them removed in apps (sometimes the price is reasonable, other times the price is outrageous). Its just a way to create additional revenue (through the ads themselves or when people pay to get rid of the ads). I'm assuming the people at Eduweb want additional revenue (to make up for the cost of the game development, and to maybe create a version for Mac/PC, which is why I suggested it. If WolfQuest ever becomes popular, ads could be a significant source of revenue for them.

Wild 98
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Wild 98 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:59 pm

in the realm of realism lol, i would say colour is a reasonable option with moderation, and body customization could be as well, for example i like a wolf with a good decent speed and stamina, but it makes my wolf to small in my opinion, the option to change your wolfs size without actually changing its main stats would be nice. things such as muscle size (within reason I'm not saying lets get a ripped wolf in here), and pelt customization could work as well (in terms of thickness I'm currently thinking of). as we all know not all wolves look alike, so little things that make our wolves stand out from the rest yes would be a fine addition, i like the idea of eye colour, and scars, but in terms of how a wolfs ear is shaped well thats in my opinion its step slightly to far !!! i like the games realism and would like to thank you as developers for keeping it that way, i love the game and so does my squad here at Search and Rescue, we are not to fond of the idea to take away the lexicon chat and hope you do not!!!

thanks for taking the time to read this message and we appreciate your concern for our wants to the game

take care and good luck on behalf of me and the team here at SaR Canada

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:30 pm

duskypack wrote:
Well, bright green eyes are unrealistic, but olive green eyes can be found in wolves, it's the bright emerald greens and grass colored greens that are unrealistic, like:

This!
And this!

But this is pretty realistic...
As well as this...

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:38 pm

Not even that. Wolves do not normally have green or blue eyes. Most that do have some kind of dog blood in them, I believe. Its best to keep them totally out of the game for that reason.

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:43 pm

I've heard of that, but look at this:

http://images.northrup.org/picture/xl/g ... wolf-6.jpg

This was actually what I was going for, it's more like a grey-green, which is more natural looking on a wolf...

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:47 pm

The markings look similar to what is on a mid-high content wolf dog.

Return to “News and Announcements Archive”