WQ: Tablet version: Wolf customization options

Archived news, updates and announcements.
WQlf
Pup
Pup

Re: WQ: Tablet version: Wolf customization options

Post by WQlf » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:11 am

I think that blue/green eyes should either be a limited edition type thing or not exist at all. Too many people will have them on their wolf, making the normal Amber/Gold/etc eyes be the ones that are rare. I was on a warrior cats group on FeralHeart once, and almost all the players had either green or blue eyes. There was only a few next to none that had brown/gold. If WolfQuest is to be educational, then I'd rather not like it for blue and green eyes to be portrayed as common. I really do want eye colors to be added, just not those.

Kitsuma
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Kitsuma » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:47 pm

WQlf wrote:I think that blue/green eyes should either be a limited edition type thing or not exist at all. Too many people will have them on their wolf, making the normal Amber/Gold/etc eyes be the ones that are rare. I was on a warrior cats group on FeralHeart once, and almost all the players had either green or blue eyes. There was only a few next to none that had brown/gold. If WolfQuest is to be educational, then I'd rather not like it for blue and green eyes to be portrayed as common. I really do want eye colors to be added, just not those.
You have to remember that with cats though, green and amber are the common colors. They are not wolves.

If you want rare, just make it to where you pay for it. Someone also mentioned you won't be able to see it well anyway. Besides, whether or not the colors are there, people will Roleplay with green/blue eyes anyway. Why not just simply add the color in?

I know how education works, and it can't be perfect. We can attempt a perfect game, but it won't happen. The most you can do, is get across that these colors are rare, and if they put it on their wolf, they put it on their wolf. Besides, with single player, most of the NPC wolves will have the common colors anyway.

Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Name: Frodo/Jay

Post by Frodo1 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:19 pm

If they ever add that customization option, maybe it could be an xp unlock and fairly expensive- you'd have to play the game a great deal to unlock those more unrealistic options. That way it wouldn't be every other wolf has blue eyes, but someone who really, really wanted those eye colors could work hard to get them. The more unrealistic the color, the more xp needed to unlock them
Granted that most wolf puppies are dark in coloration, but WQ has an xp-unlockable (and rather expensive) white pup, it doesn't seem out of the question.

Kitsuma
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Kitsuma » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:21 pm

I like that. That could be great!

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:02 pm

Those colors are rare at best and misrepresentative at worst. It would take a fair bit of time and effort to create that feature. Hence, it's quite a low priority.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Noctis_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Noctis_ » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:58 pm

loboLoco wrote:Those colors are rare at best and misrepresentative at worst. It would take a fair bit of time and effort to create that feature. Hence, it's quite a low priority.
So would I be correct in assuming that things like gold, yellow, brown, amber, gray, are being added?

Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Name: Frodo/Jay

Post by Frodo1 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:32 pm

LunaWolf2468 wrote:
loboLoco wrote:Those colors are rare at best and misrepresentative at worst. It would take a fair bit of time and effort to create that feature. Hence, it's quite a low priority.
So would I be correct in assuming that things like gold, yellow, brown, amber, gray, are being added?
I think he was referring to the fact that the ability to change/customize eye color would take a long time to design and implement- and compared to other features, it's not all that important. Since it is an aesthetic detail, really.

AmberZeWolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by AmberZeWolf » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:49 pm

I'd prefer there to be no green eye color. Yes this game is not perfect realism? So what. Green eye color would be too rare to have to occur in WQ, mainly I would think it's just too small to put in. Eye color is pretty small, and if you want funding going to the majority of bugs being fixed and other things, why bother with eye color? And people would abuse the eye color rarity like everyone else is saying. So my final opinion: Why are we bothering which such a small percentage to the game? Do we want the game being delayed longer? It's bad enough with the problems they are experiencing. They shouldn't have to spend such a long time putting in such a tiny thing that isn't important.

Wolvencall
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Maddie

Post by Wolvencall » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:04 pm

Snow130 wrote:I'd prefer there to be no green eye color. Yes this game is not perfect realism? So what. Green eye color would be too rare to have to occur in WQ, mainly I would think it's just too small to put in. Eye color is pretty small, and if you want funding going to the majority of bugs being fixed and other things, why bother with eye color? And people would abuse the eye color rarity like everyone else is saying. So my final opinion: Why are we bothering which such a small percentage to the game? Do we want the game being delayed longer? It's bad enough with the problems they are experiencing. They shouldn't have to spend such a long time putting in such a tiny thing that isn't important.
Exactly, thank you for pointing this out Snow130! Its not as important as the eye color also kind of changes as you work with the shader scale.

Cackle
Pup
Pup
Name: Whiffler

Post by Cackle » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:35 pm

I see I'm not the only one stalking the 2.7 forums. :roll: Green eyes are very rare in wolves and blue eyes only appear in pups. I think it's right to leave the customization options realistic.

Noctis_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Noctis_ » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:07 pm

Frodo1 wrote:
LunaWolf2468 wrote:
I think he was referring to the fact that the ability to change/customize eye color would take a long time to design and implement- and compared to other features, it's not all that important. Since it is an aesthetic detail, really.
True, but an aesthetic detail that a lot of people have been asking for/talking about. It'd be just another detail that makes the game beautiful, along with good graphics and flowing water/light refraction underwater, extra sounds, etc. Realistic eye colors included, it'd really add to the freedom of customization and the uniqueness of one's wolf.
Autumnfire wrote:I see I'm not the only one stalking the 2.7 forums. :roll: Green eyes are very rare in wolves and blue eyes only appear in pups. I think it's right to leave the customization options realistic.

Adding eye color options have the ability to include realism. A lot of people I know think that blue and green eyes are possible and even common in wolves, so including realistic eye colors and *maybe* adding a side note in customization that disclaims the blue and green misconception could be educational for that large number of people who aren't aware.

AmberZeWolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by AmberZeWolf » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:15 pm

That wouldn't work out. Green eyes are too rare as we know. I would really prefer if we just left eye color out, we are already close enough to release aside from the many bugs left. But maybe in another version there can be a possibility to be able to change eye color or play with a slider for eyes to get the tint we want.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:29 pm

Maybe it's something that can be looked at in a future release; either way, I don't foresee it happening with the current version, given Dave's response and with the impracticality of adding the colors and the connotations that they carry with them in terms of realism. There are other issues that take a higher priority now, like fixing glitches.

Cackle
Pup
Pup
Name: Whiffler

Post by Cackle » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:35 am

Koa wrote:Maybe it's something that can be looked at in a future release; either way, I don't foresee it happening with the current version, given Dave's response and with the impracticality of adding the colors and the connotations that they carry with them in terms of realism. There are other issues that take a higher priority now, like fixing glitches.
Exactly, Dave is probably tired after all the heavy work, and fixing all the glitches. He won't consider this now, but who knows? Maybe in the far future.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:12 pm

Customization options seem to be set for now, so I will be locking this.
If you would like to discuss current customization options in the game and what you plan on doing, please do so here:
http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=77267

Return to “News and Announcements Archive”