WQ: Tablet version: Wolf customization options

Archived news, updates and announcements.
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: WQ: Tablet version: Wolf customization options

Post by Koa » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:09 pm

If you can't create a less-dramatic but still slightly different animation, I think going with a slower walk is your best bet. Would a younger audience realize what is going on, though? While the current stalking animation is exaggerated, I do believe it made the "stalking" aspect of the game obvious.

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Post by duskypack » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:09 pm

If you won't change it, then it would be nice to just have the current animation. I don't think you should remove from the game, only add. The stalking is fun :3

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:07 pm

Now that search is working (thanks Dave!) here's the video-

Turns out it was from the game enhancement thread- http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?p ... 6#p1372416

Keeping the current animation is probably a good idea; even if it's a bit exaggerated, it does a good job at giving the player a visual idea of what the avatar is doing where a slowed walking animation might not.

Celestial-Howl
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Alicia

Post by Celestial-Howl » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:25 pm

loboLoco wrote:Yeah, that stalking animation is not up to the standards of the rest of the animations. We actually intended to show it only from the standard over-the-tail viewpoint. (But then I forgot that and put a side view in the SC preview video...)

That Ethiopian wolf video is intriguing -- the first segment just looks like a slo-mo walk, but after that, the wolf is slunk low, quite dramatic. But I don't know how common that is for gray wolves. I have a vague memory that it's not very common. So maybe we should drop the special stalk animation and just have it walk at half-speed.
Sounds like a good idea, maybe just a mild crouch and forward ears, nothing too exaggerated.

Serperior_123
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Serperior_123 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:35 pm

I love all of these ideas so far.
Maybe you can have items like a pet eagle or cat, or a necklace? Or wings, maybe for those who like things like that. Maybe different markings like zebra markings or leopard spots? Maybe expressions like, evil, calm rage, rage. Or animations for head banging or swinging

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:47 pm

Considering WolfQuest strives to be educational, such things as wings, jewellery, familiars/pets, unnatural markings and expressions/emotes would be unlikely additions since those kinds of things are not applicable to wild wolves in real life, whereas games like Feral Heart are heavily focused on creativity and customization as opposed to realism.
loboLoco wrote:We do want to keep these choices within the realm of realism and accuracy, but we'd like to hear any other ideas you might have.
Understandable if we see naturally-occurring eye colors, both present and non-existent in wolf genetics, but it's a very long shot for accessories such as those we humans apply to ourselves for the sake of vanity and expression.

That being said, I'd probably draw the line there -- I am in favor of customization, but it shouldn't become a lesser/semi-realistic variant of Feral Heart. ^^; Suppose I'm just being nit-picky, but that's just my two cents! I realize I'm a hypocrite saying that, considering none of my characters conform to realism.

Serperior_123
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Serperior_123 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:52 pm

I have to admit, I was kind of stealing some of that from Feralheart. I kind of feel bad now, though

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Post by duskypack » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:53 pm

Serperior_123 wrote:I have to admit, I was kind of stealing some of that from Feralheart. I kind of feel bad now, though

Don't feel bad, ideas are ideas ^-^

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:06 pm

duskypack wrote:Don't feel bad, ideas are ideas ^-^
Indeed! ^^

There's no harm in expressing ideas, no matter where the inspiration was drawn from, but there are bound to be people who agree or disagree with certain suggestions. Unfortunately, I'm just one of the nay-sayers in that particular subject. Sorry!

RoarOriole

Post by RoarOriole » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:58 am

If the camera controls are the same as I remember they are in the game then control over facial expressions would be useless. No controllable flycam and very hard to see and no good angles for screenshots. Also, considering that only the Amethyst Mountain portion of the app is going to be free, such a thing as being able to make faces would be a waste of effort since they would have no use in the single player campaign. They would simply be "there" and would feel like pointless buffer.

It's a good direction of thought, though! Instead of just faces, why not make the actions used in wolf encounters - or at least some of them - controllable through more hotkeys like howl, sleep, and playbow? They would be both pointless fun in the single player campaign with the AI controlled mate and give more interest and further use in the multiplayer portion that will require purchase to access (if I remember right...if not...haha whoops? LOL).

Harmonie 780
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Harm

Post by Harmonie 780 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:50 pm

I think that eye color should definitely be added. I really like the idea of the fur changing thickness in spring and fall, but what if there was an option or slider when your making your wolf to choose how much fur your wolf already "naturally" has? Like if the slider bar is all the way at the end, the wolf would look a little mangy, but if the slider was at the farthest point the fur would look very full. I hope that these awesome new things come to pc!

Ironic
Pup
Pup

Post by Ironic » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:32 am

Yes yes yes! I like where this is going.

Maybe we should a option that allows a wolf to have a torn ear and broken tail. Missing teeth should be cool too.

Sorry if anyone mentioned this already. I'm to lazy to read.

Wolfnyac
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Wolfnyac » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:01 am

i believe that the game would be great if we were able to start out as pups and work our way up to when we are older. Then if it were possible raise more than one litter of pups so that way you could watch your own pups grow and be able to teach them. Being able to have different eye color would be cool too. Also being able to pick out traits sounds amazing. it would also be cool to change your howl so that way everyone is in some small way different I just love all of these ideas. Also sorry for asking but i am visually impaired and i am not sure if this has already been done but would it be possible to add shades of red that your wolf could be.

Soaring Owl
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Soaring Owl » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:05 am

I really really like the idea of customization! All of these ideas are really good. Eye colors, scars, markings and fur depth would be really nice to have!

Wonderland Summer
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Wonderland Summer » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:46 am

Hm, I enjoyed reading all the ideas that have been posted so far, however may I suggest a few additions to the ongoing list.
Perhaps a feature involving what wolves show up depending on the "traits" of the player's wolf. For example, a Slough wolf could show up depending on the strength level of the wolf.
Just pitching in my two cents.

Return to “News and Announcements Archive”