Recent homepage hacking attempt

Archived news, updates and announcements.
Zethra

Re: Recent homepage hacking attempt

Post by Zethra » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Thank you for posting this Cana, what happened yesterday I have to admit was pretty mind-boggling. I am sure everything will become 100% again soon.

Also, that is a really odd message Darkness and Sheeba. I'll try to keep an eye out for anymore, weird stuff.

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:02 pm

Thank you for posting, Cana! I am glad most is solved, and it seems the hacker isn't that bad offering help like that. I'll keep my head up, though!

Wolf Runner1
Yearling
Yearling
Location: Currently? Probably either: Pluto, or Saturn. Feel free to check both places.

Post by Wolf Runner1 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:19 pm

Thank you Cana! I kind of freacked out yesterday, changed my password and email, ect. So thank you for reactivating my account, and for posting an update! I'll be on the look out for anything else strange. :wink:

WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Coordinator » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:23 pm

Well, and perhaps we should all take this as a good reminder to keep passwords secure and complex, so other people (including brothers, friends, etc.) can't use your account.

Enough excitement for the week already... I'm hoping for a calm remainder of the week. Let's make it happen.
Thanks for the avatar, Silverness!

I am no longer the acting administrator of these forums, so please read the WolfQuest FAQ and Tips, Hints, and Help forums for answers to any questions you may have.

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:37 pm

What's past is past right? Lets just hope this doesn't happen again any time soon.

Thanks Moderators and to Dave for helping fix the problem!

Borea
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Borea » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:14 pm

Have to admit I was really stinking out when the page got hacked. I was worrying about the story I was writing and if it had been deleted, I probably would've either lost it or gotten really, really depressed. I'm just glad the hacker didn't cause permanent damage.

fox6
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by fox6 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:23 pm

ok, i have something that i have figured out. when i looked on the homepage and it was hacked by "Splendid aka w0lf" there were large number below the name written in dotted lines. here is what i found when i looked at them closely:

1nj3ct0r

maybe this is his/her password?

you could use it against them Cana and loboloco

shadowwolf2234
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by shadowwolf2234 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:28 pm

Man, I should of got a screenshot, sorry about that, but at least it's fixed now, thank you Dave, and everyone else who helped. =)

Catarinab

Post by Catarinab » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:00 pm

fox6 wrote:ok, i have something that i have figured out. when i looked on the homepage and it was hacked by "Splendid aka w0lf" there were large number below the name written in dotted lines. here is what i found when i looked at them closely:

1nj3ct0r

maybe this is his/her password?

you could use it against them Cana and loboloco
1nj3ct0r means injector. Its a code. About this code, I figured out w01f means wolf, the 0 in an o and the 1 its an l. And aka means (everybody knows this) Also Knowed As so it must have another name. Maybe wolf is the name. I searched this on WQ members and I think I found something, but when I was near to click, the general error happened. :( I will try again.

I was thinking... remember when I said «Why did it attacked WQ and tryed to delet About Wolves section? It must have a reason». And now I figured out the w01f means wolf so I think it is something about wolves that the hacker wants. Also, I remember the hacker tryed to delete the wolf info websites, right?

First was the homepage, and now was the general error (Cana, I think you said this was related to the hacker in my topic about the General error, right?). I think it will attack again and im not sure whats next, but will be a big thing.

I will keep trying more.

EDIT: I figured out a new thing! Look, it says "Splendid aka (also knowed as) w01f (wolf)" Does somebody has the username Splendid in the community?

Coolwolf1777
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Coolwolf1777 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:08 pm

Thank you so much for posting this Cana. I thought my computer was going to crash or that I was going to get a virus. I am glad it was not just me who experienced these problems, though, on the same note I am sickened to know that somebody hacked the system. (It was an amateur job at best in my opinion, but besides the fact) I am pleased though that no major damage was done to the server or the forum. I have found a problem on my account though, please notify me if it is an occurance for others, it is that I can not load an avatar from my computer into the site for an avatar. Perhaps I should have sent a PM or an email about this. Sorry if it is off topic. Just thought I should get the word out.

Gloria Crystal
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Gloria Crystal » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:09 pm

Oh, the hacker join my site, w0lf1
My site is a www in my profile, I'll delete it soon :!:

Maybe, just maybe, it can be usefull!

WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Coordinator » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:16 pm

Any errors you're experiencing now is just us attempting to adjust the security and permissions of the site; it doesn't mean the hacker is trying to change things. So though it's related to the aforementioned hacking, it's just us trying to make things safer.
Thanks for the avatar, Silverness!

I am no longer the acting administrator of these forums, so please read the WolfQuest FAQ and Tips, Hints, and Help forums for answers to any questions you may have.

SolitaryPride
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Post by SolitaryPride » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:20 pm

Thank you for posting this Cana, I'm sure it had reassured many users
And I hope who ever did hack WQ, won't do it again, I just wish people had the sense not to do stuff like that anyway, since they know its wrong

Sintact

Post by Sintact » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:21 pm

Thanks for making this announcement and clear up things, good to know that o further damages rather than the main page were made. Yesterday was crazy for a second, but at least now I know that I can trust in the registered users help; everyone turned to work like a team yesterday, and I need to say that I feel proud of everyone that helped.

Catarinab

Post by Catarinab » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:25 pm

Thanks Sintact! We will try to keep the good work to help.

So let me ask only one more question: Is it quite solved or the hacker still around there "stalking" us?

Return to “News and Announcements Archive”