Recent homepage hacking attempt

Archived news, updates and announcements.
PhotoWolf

Re: Recent homepage hacking attempt

Post by PhotoWolf » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:25 pm

Thanks for the update Cana. i did not notice any viruses from the hack. i hope no one els will be dumb enough to try that again

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:59 pm

wolf_storm wrote:what use is hacking for 'educational purposes?' how is hacking educational?
For people who want to work in the computer field in regards to computer security and safety, it is. There are professionals who work for companies to test out what patches softwares are missing in regards to hacking. (if i'm correct)

shenzie
Yearling
Yearling

Post by shenzie » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:04 pm

wwait did you guys find out who the hacker was?

Sintact

Post by Sintact » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:05 pm

shenzie wrote:wwait did you guys find out who the hacker was?
Sintact wrote:Well, since the hacker didn't get to the Forum itself, we couldn't get the IP for detecting the computer, and probably ban it from the system and website, but since Cana and Dave already changed the passwords to a more complex ones; this shouldn't happen again.

Probably the user (if registered) is still floating around, but future damages shouldn't be made. With all this new information future problems will not be an issue.

shenzie
Yearling
Yearling

Post by shenzie » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:08 pm

Thank you Sin:)))))))):DDDAnd im releived i don't have to worry about my account being hacked.When the hacker hacked and stuff i was already making plans about how to get my posts and stuff back:)LOL but thank you for posting this Cana.

Boltk9
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Boltk9 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:34 pm

Who would try to do such a thing? I'm glad the matter has been resolved. I hope no one tries that again and if someone does they will probably fail. I can't believe someone tried to hack this website. I'm just glad they didn't do any serious damage to Wolfquest.org or put viruses in any of the files. I hope it doesn't happen again.

WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Coordinator » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:39 pm

Larkarl & Koa are right- I changed permissions so signatures don't show in this section so people can more easily look through the posts. Some peoples' signatures are long and distracting, and I figured this forum should be the easiest to browse through.

I updated my first post- please read that if you have questions about the user artwork section or uploading avatars.
Thanks for the avatar, Silverness!

I am no longer the acting administrator of these forums, so please read the WolfQuest FAQ and Tips, Hints, and Help forums for answers to any questions you may have.

John
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by John » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:52 pm

I don't know if this happened to anybody, but my avatar disappeared when I went on the front page..

Sintact

Post by Sintact » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:57 pm

Please read the first post of this topic, Cana just added information about it.

Because of the improved security system, some changes as the direct upload of avatars from your computer was taken.

EDIT:
WQ Coordinator wrote:Edit: We're still making changes and upgrading security, so if you see any more error messages, just assume it's us working on the site. We also are looking into the issue with not being able to upload images... on the user artwork site, avatars, etc. So please wait patiently and calmly- we're doing our best to make sure the site and forums are in tip-top shape.

snowing wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Location: Dancing with Lupin as a MUSHROOM FLOWER BAGEL! want to come?!

Post by snowing wolf » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:38 pm

Thank you to everyone who helped WQ stay in order after this fearful event.I hope nothing else happens like this in the future..If hackers ever get in again..I will try to stay calm for the sake of myself, and everyone here..Thank you everyone!

Kayama
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Kayama » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:32 pm

Well i'm glad the site is ok =] It's great to have such a nice community on the WQ forum that kept everyone calm. I hope you get the problems fixed, I know you will ;)

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:49 pm

Good luck with fixing the rest of the problems, I hope it'll work out fine.

LordWolfey
Pup
Pup

Post by LordWolfey » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:27 am

:) Well done for fixing the problem :) I hope no-one trys it again :shock:

Wolfie888
Pup
Pup

Post by Wolfie888 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:38 am

I'm glad that there was hardly any damage, I was really scared! But who would want to hack/ruin Wolfquest? D: (I didnt get any viruses, but the Northern virus protection got freaked out a bit... It told me I had 105 viruses! But there were only cookies :roll: )

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:49 am

This was a devastating and an unfortunate incident, but at least it is all over now and WolfQuest can settle down again.

For my own part, I'd like to thank the WQ Team (including the moderators) for keeping us so specifically informed about the situation. ;)

Thanks for posting this, Cana.

Return to “News and Announcements Archive”