New Forum Moderators

Archived news, updates and announcements.
WQ Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Re: New Forum Moderators

Post by WQ Coordinator » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:57 am

The decision for who was chosen as moderators was based on their application, their post history, overall helpfulness, attitude, dedication, how well they fit the qualifications, moderator opinions, and a few other things. The decision for future moderators will also be based on these things, including how positive and helpful they remain on the forums even if they were not chosen previously.

As Sintact stated, moderating this forum does come with great responsibility because we have so many members and because, in all honesty, we couldn't run the forums without the moderators. Their professionalism, dedication, and positive attitude, as well as these qualities in the general community, are what keeps this forum going. So thank you to those of you who continue to display these qualities- it's what makes this forum great! Let's just hope for good news about the grants we've applied for and random donations made by community members so we can keep the WolfQuest game and forum as pawesome as it can be, for as long as we can.
Thanks for the avatar, Silverness!

I am no longer the acting administrator of these forums, so please read the WolfQuest FAQ and Tips, Hints, and Help forums for answers to any questions you may have.

April

Post by April » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:15 am

Okay, thanks for clearing that up Cana!
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

http://aprilsilverwolf.wix.com/lessonslearnednovel

~April~
~Member Of The Month for October of 2009~
Yellowstone wolf international/Skilled Hunter

Snow Powder Runs Pack

AWolfSpirit
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by AWolfSpirit » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:20 pm

May I also say something?

A moderator must be willing. You must be able to ignore the rude private messages. Noobies on the forums will mess up, they might even cuss you out in private message. Instead of yelling at them, you just need to correct them. If they haven't read the rules, it will show. But yelling at a noob will only cause more trouble. If it goes too far, they can contact another mod, and you could loose your job. Keeping your cool is the number one thing as being a mod. I know this, because I am an admin on another website. I also used to lead a pack, and it is similar to being a mod. People will skip reading the rules, and just start posting. Mods must enforce the rules. Not get mad at the noobs. Of course, a moderators job is to keep the forums safe, so it's very reasonable to private message a member, telling them to quit roleplaying, stop double posting, etc. But private messaging a member telling them the rules doesn't mean you have to say it with an attitude.

I can't say Cana chose the right people for the job, and I can't say she chose the wrong people. I was very surprised by her choice. I think there were some people who might have been better moderators, but since I didn't see the applications, I won't say she made the wrong choice. We will certainly find out soon, and I hope she did made the right choice.

If you are dissapointed, it is understandable. Alot of people who applied deserved the job. I myself am dissapointed, I would have made a good moderator. But if Cana thinks otherwise, I won't argue. There is always another chance. WolfQuest, as Sintact said, is a huge part of my life, and I hope next time they hire moderators, I will be chosen.

I'm on WolfQuest so much I run out of things to do. After I check all the threads I post on, I sit there refreshing the page over and over again, until a new post is there. I think I would have made a good moderator, because I have alot of time on my hands, and need to use it. I would like to be a moderator also because when I post, I see millions of off topic, double post, not enough worded posts, and it gets really annoying to know all I can do is press the report button. It is much for effective if someone were to tell the person face to face on what they shouldn't do. But that would be backseat moderating, then there would be millions of "mini mods" all over the fourms.

Even though I wasn't chosen as a mod, I will "act" like one from now on. Not by backseat moderating, but when I have no places to post, I will surf the forums, reporting posts, so when new moderators are being hired next year, maybe they will know I am ready and able to take on the job of a moderator.

If this was offending to anyone, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to.

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Songdog » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:56 pm

Is everyone going to try and make some long speech thing now?

if you didn't make it as a moderator: There's always next time.
If you did make it as a moderator: Be ready.

You may be a mod on another forum, but this isn't other forums. You've never heard our war-stories.

AWolfSpirit
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by AWolfSpirit » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:00 pm

I appoligise for making you upset Songdog, I wanted to say what was on my mind.

April

Post by April » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:05 pm

Very well spoken Spirit.

Yes, I like long Speeches Songdog. X3 So now I'm going to make one. lol

I usually like to give people a second chance before reporting them as I stated in my application. I think everyone deserves a second chance. I also agree that I get bored on the forums easily. I've been everywhere and I'm running out of places to post. XD lol, that sounds silly.X3 Because I have so much time I thought that I would like to be a mod. And besides I like helping people.

Mods make sacrifices for the good of the community. I've always wanted to make sacrifices like for the good of someone else.

I'm also surprised by Cana's choices. In my opinion it was already obvious who was going to be a mod. I've seen the same people every time never fail to drop what they are doing and help someone out. And none of those people who I thought for sure would be a mod didn't make it.

I lived to see the forum without mods for a short time, before mods even came out. I have seen how much they help out the forum. But in other ways, it makes other people jelous as well.

The thing is, you can't judge a book by it's cover. Which means that there are it's ups and downs to being a moderator. It's work. You know, you can be respected for who you are without being a mod and what you do. It's all about your attitude. For being a good Wolf Quest community member you can also be respected by those around you. Like Cana said ealier, not everyone can be a moderator. You can do your part by being a good community member. And you don't have to gain people's respect by becoming a moderator. You can gain one's respect by being helpful and understanding.

You know, I get pm's every day pretty much when someone is asking me for help wth something, or asking for my advice. Some help like that goes unnoticed. Whether you realize it or not you are appreciated for your help by those you have helped and those around you who have seen your good deeds. You do not need to become a mod to gain respect. And I mean yes, mods are respected greatly. But you know why? Not because of their green name, not because they are in the staff. But because of their attitude and their help and their advice and knowledge. And you do not have to be a mod to have those things either. All those things you can use as a normal community member. So please think again. Mods are respected yes, their names are green, yes, they are in the staff yes But they do lots for us. They sacrifice their own affairs to help with ours. They drop what they are doing to come to your aid. You can't really say that you would make a good moderator because you've never walked in their footsteps. Lots of you have, yes. Become mods on other websites, so you know what it's like. But for those of you who are disapointed, this is not the end. There are plenty of things you can do as a member to help out with the community.

Listen to me on this Wolf Quest members. The forum wouldn't be the same without you, whether you were a mod, an admin, or a member! You all play a role and you all make a difference. Every one of us helps this community in a big way. And it doesn't matter what position you are, you are still you. You can help from wherever you are and you can make this community worth while. Each of us has a role. And it doesn't matter what position we are in. You DO NOT have to prove yourself to anyone. You think of proving yourself to those around you by becoming a moderator? I repeat, you DO NOT have to prove yourself. We already know. We may not know everything you do. Or perhaps your work will go unnoticed. But there is always someone watching. And even if you are not rewarded now for your hard work, or you think your work is going to waste. IT'S NOT! It's helping someone, even though they don't know. Your work counts, even if it is not noticable. Don't feel down. You do make a difference. Same with everyone around here. You've got to think for the sake of the community, not yourself. You make a difference no matter what position you are in. So look forward to the future because there is still more that you can do! You will be rewarded one day for all of your hard work, I garantee. Keep hoping, and keep helping. And keep working. And keep playing your role, because you can make a difference no matter what positon you are in.
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

~April~

Snow Powder Runs Pack

Aurora Alaska
New Pack Member
New Pack Member
Location: Being in Aurora's Place of Absolute Excitement and Dullness and Oxymorons

Post by Aurora Alaska » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:19 pm

Wow . . . That is alot of stuff. but very true, about moderators having alot of responsibility, being more to the green names, not just being fun all the time. I wish you all good luck. And, as Spirit said, we can't know if it was the right choice, not until something happens and that is proved. But until then . . . Until then, good luck new moderators, and good job current mods. Thanks for helping WQ.
Aurora
Hope is a shining beacon. Let it lead you to your true place. Let it guide your soul.

AWolfSpirit
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by AWolfSpirit » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:24 pm

Thanks, and yes, Good luck.

April

Post by April » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:41 pm

I know you guys will learn the ways of the mods and do a great job! Good luck, were all counting on you. ^_^ Pressure much?

~April~

Snow Powder Runs Pack

TheTube
Pup
Pup

Post by TheTube » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:42 pm

I could do the same thing everyone else and their mother is doing, but I'll skip it and wish luck to the new moderators. Let's hope they last longer then a week.

I support the alliance.

DazzleBerry
Former WQ Moderator

Post by DazzleBerry » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:53 pm

Many of you have have posted very true, and inspirational "speeches." Even if quite a bit of it was already known, its really good to get a reminder and another perspective on things. Thank you very much!
If you didn't become a moderator, I am sorry. I know what it feels like.
Cana and the team tried their best to pick what they felt was the greatest "fit." If some of you disagree, that is okay, you are entitled to your own opinions and I know there are many others who would have made excellent moderators as well.
Remember that, as Sintact and April stated, you don't need a green name to be a helpful, active, respectful member of the forums. :)
Last edited by DazzleBerry on Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EX-MODERATOR

wolf567
Former WQ Moderator

Post by wolf567 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:05 pm

AWolfSpirit wrote:Even though I wasn't chosen as a mod, I will "act" like one from now on. Not by backseat moderating, but when I have no places to post, I will surf the forums, reporting posts, so when new moderators are being hired next year, maybe they will know I am ready and able to take on the job of a moderator.
That is a great way to help, while I was giving my opinions on the users that applied for the job, I mentioned if I knew the user was good a reporting them to me via PM or the reporting system, since I check reported posts often, so I know which users would like to help, and obviously to deal with the problem.
Wolf567 / Blaze

AWolfSpirit
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by AWolfSpirit » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:18 pm

Thank you Wolf567. I sent you a PM, I hope you can help me with that problem.

I have my spirit a bit higher now, so I wanted to give a more enthusiastic CONGRATSS!!!

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:15 pm

Congratulations. sorry its so late on my part :mrgreen:

I look forward to the new mods patrolling the forums, I think they'll do a great job and it will be intresting to see them in action for the first time. Besides, you cannot choose someone based on popularity or likability. Don't you think it would be unfair if it was true? pretty sure I woulnd't be where I am if that was the case!

Besides, as Songdog stated, theirs always next time to try and apply agian for those that are disapointed. Even if you didn't, would it be so wrong to say congratulations to those who did? be happy for the new mods! :D
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

AWolfSpirit
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by AWolfSpirit » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:23 am

I'm sorry, this is very off topic but:

In the following year, is it completely positive that they will hire new mods, or is it only a possibility?

Also, will it be the exact same time of year, or could they pop up in fall/winter/spring, instead of summer?

Again, sorry for going off topic (o.-)

Return to “News and Announcements Archive”