WQ: Tablet version: Wolf customization options

Archived news, updates and announcements.
darkcanine
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: WQ: Tablet version: Wolf customization options

Post by darkcanine » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:52 am

firedog6 wrote:Yes, if you're going to update WQ on the tablet version then eye color is a must. But, if you can do multiple things...

*wolf height
*drawing markings on
*scars
*eye coloration (grey, brown, orange, gold, amber, greenish)
*deformities (albinism, missing eye, missing ear, ect)
*fur lengths, depending on weather (thicker coat in winter games, thinner coats in spring)
*growling, barking, and higher or lower pitch howl customization
*more wolf movements in multi-player (submissive, playful, or grumpy wolf actions)
Drawing markings on would be quite terrifying. What I mean by this is that people would go wild with it and create unrealistic wolves. Deformities, pretty much the same thing. Seems a bit pointless aside from a ripped ear. I agree on the multiplayer movements, and many people have covered other things you've said (scars, eye coloration, height, fur length, age, voice pitch.) Not sure what you mean by age, but at the beginning of the game you are two years old.

More multiplayer movements could lead to some people being inappropriate, as you know, so I completely understand if they don't add any. We already have the playful movement, bow.

I don't think I'll be able to get the game though, seeing how I don't have an iPad. Unless it eventually releases on other kinds of tablets, I can't get it, but I'll be glad to help with ideas anyway.

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Post by duskypack » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:03 pm

Oh.My.Goodness!

Hurray! Hope for Wolfquest!!!

---

I think there should be a growl button, the face needs to change when you do different things such as howl, instead of remaining blank and expressionless. Also, maybe like three different patterns you could choose, and color them realistically or they can just be black. Also, it would be more realistic if the fur could stick out a bit, you could see it, but not each individual, more like a bulk thing to make it easier to make.
Last edited by duskypack on Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Floofysaur
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Fwoof

Post by Floofysaur » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:19 pm

darkcanine wrote:I was thinking things along the lines of what others have said, but allow me to clarify in my own words.
Voices: Ah, yes. Something I've fantasized to be in this game for quite a while now. Maybe you could have a voice pitch bar. You know, make it higher and lower. I'd be fine if you used the same generic howls, barks, growls, and yips heard in the game, but pitch is something I think we'd all like, just to add a little more diversity to the game.

Eye color: Well, I wouldn't exactly like a color wheel, but more of what we have going on with fur colors. Several options such as brown, orange, yellow gold, and other common wolf eye colors, but there too being a darkness-lightness slider.

Body shape, height "& weight: This interests me too. It could be hard managing, with things like bumping and latching effecting the player and different sizes having different effects, but I don't think it's impossible. Add an extra slider or two. If that proves difficult, presets. Maybe three or four per category. Example: Short, average, tall. Strength could actually effect size in game, as it seems to while customizing your wolf but not when you're actually playing.

Fur length and thickness: I would appreciate if sliders could apply here. In reality, I've met wolves before who are the same breed, but have subtly different fur densities, lengths, and thicknesses. A simple three sliders would do, and it would be nice if seasons could also effect it.

Wolf breeds: Bringing in other kinds of wolves would sort of ruin the game. You could mention them and all, but I like playing how it is. Plus, Multi-Player could be too confusing, unless (like genders) breeds don't apply there, but that would just make it feel like an entirely different game.

Personalities: Oh, yes, do I want this. I think personalities would be GREAT for this type of game. It could effect whether a dispersal wolf would like you or not, rather than just what you say. If other wolves also have their own pre-made traits, you could choose whether or not you like them, rather than just accepting any dispersal you see. What you tell them, what they tell you, all of that would make the game all the more fun.
Whenever I make a new single-player game (which is often,) I look for another wolf, just like I'm supposed to. Over time, having the same conversations with every wolf I meet, every mate I get, can get a little boring. You have to say the right things in the right order, something you can easily memorize. If all wolves had their own traits, or even a SINGLE trait to go by, it would change all of that. For every dispersal, we'd say new things before following each other for the rest of our lives. For every pack wolf, we'd have new encounters. Oh, would it be so fun to mess with.
Have in mind the Sims games. The original and Sims 2 had a trait system where you have a certain amount of points you'd drag back and forth, determining how active or neat you were. I'm not sure that would fit this type of game, so let's take a look at the Sims 3. It has trait options for you to choose. This seems more fitting. We could have things like aggressive, which would make other wolves seem more like prey rather than a respectable individual, tempting the player to attack them instead of being calm and walking off. Submissive, where the others look more formidable, making the player more likely to shrink down before them, followed by running away. This gets all of my YES.

What else, what else... oh yeah. Traits could effect the wolf's stats. Say you are submissive. Well, being used to running away from others rather than stand up for yourself and fight, your highest and lowest speed settings would be much faster than an aggressive wolf, who stays to fight. You know, fighting all the time would make you used to pain, thus making your strength options higher. Other traits could effect in different ways, too. So many things to do with just a few more options.

Scars: Depending on how they look, I'm unsure whether I'd like them or not. Dragging them around the body wouldn't make them look good, so I like the idea of having them be presets over the body, maybe including an opacity slider to see how deep they are.

Paw pads & nose colors: This one doesn't seem to be too difficult, so why not? Shades of light brown to dark brown, grey to black, pale pink to a dull greyish pink. I'm not overly desperate for this one, but I'd like it.
Generic howls, growls and chuffs would be a plus to add in ^^
Perhaps various whines and whimpers as well, rather then the same whines when bowing playfully, to have that same cheery sound coming from the wolf.

Alas, making the wolf maybe spin in a circle or so, cocking it's head, when jumping, it can leap over logs or hills, instead of casually walking over stuff out of the blue. When a hill you try to attempt climbing is too stiff, there should be a cautious sign. Maybe in scent view, there could be a radius of the hiehgt limit for our character to walk along? Like, maybe a yellow stripe or blotch striking across that specific area. So, for more realistic behaviors and surroundings, perhaps add sound effects instead of the common wind sources. Add debris that the wolf may trek through, going through bushes as a rustling sound. Walking across the ledge of the cliffs would also have some effect of dirt or stone collapsing over the side, the sight of dust drifting in the air when trekking by.

All these details and accesses help out other individuals on wildlife and the sound effects that these amazing creatures concur every day. Either predator or prey, it's something for everyone to review as and pretend themselves as wolves and each day is an objective. Not to be gruesome and this could be an option for anyone in game! Adding blood or wounds on animals we hunt. For instance, the elk. On our target, every time we bite the more amount we use of biting our game, the most likely chances of seeing wounds are high instead of it's health bar lowering and not showing any exposed wounds. These wounds also don't have to appear randomly, it can also appear on specific locations of biting. The side, back/rear, neck and torso.

All these locations can determine also on it's most sensitive part of the body to strain the animal to an extent of bringing it down entirely. Blood could be stained on the opponent and our wolf, so our wolf would eat and be messy (Blood stained maw, paws, chest, etc), Therefore, our canine friend will then need to clean up. Swimming in the river would help clean off the rest of those blood stains clean.

darkcanine
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by darkcanine » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:35 pm

SpecialK42293 wrote: Generic howls, growls and chuffs would be a plus to add in ^^
Perhaps various whines and whimpers as well, rather then the same whines when bowing playfully, to have that same cheery sound coming from the wolf.

Alas, making the wolf maybe spin in a circle or so, rooster it's head, when jumping, it can leap over logs or hills, instead of casually walking over stuff out of the blue. When a hill you try to attempt climbing is too stiff, there should be a cautious sign. Maybe in scent view, there could be a radius of the height limit for our character to walk along? Like, maybe a yellow stripe or blotch striking across that specific area. So, for more realistic behaviors and surroundings, perhaps add sound effects instead of the common wind sources. Add debris that the wolf may trek through, going through bushes as a rustling sound. Walking across the ledge of the cliffs would also have some effect of dirt or stone collapsing over the side, the sight of dust drifting in the air when trekking by.

All these details and accesses help out other individuals on wildlife and the sound effects that these amazing creatures concur every day. Either predator or prey, it's something for everyone to review as and pretend themselves as wolves and each day is an objective. Not to be gruesome and this could be an option for anyone in game! Adding blood or wounds on animals we hunt. For instance, the elk. On our target, every time we bite the more amount we use of biting our game, the most likely chances of seeing wounds are high instead of it's health bar lowering and not showing any exposed wounds. These wounds also don't have to appear randomly, it can also appear on specific locations of biting. The side, back/rear, neck and torso.

All these locations can determine also on it's most sensitive part of the body to strain the animal to an extent of bringing it down entirely. Blood could be stained on the opponent and our wolf, so our wolf would eat and be messy (Blood stained maw, paws, chest, etc), Therefore, our canine friend will then need to clean up. Swimming in the river would help clean off the rest of those blood stains clean.
A lot of this seems a bit expensive. Remember, they have their limits, and effecting the landscape around you (dust flying up from walking in certain areas) seems to be one, as cool as it would be. If they added it in, it would look choppy and likely not fit all ground skins. (i.e. if brown dirt flew up no matter the surface, when you walk on sand it wouldn't be fitting. I don't see an easy way around this.)

The scars on prey is something cool, too. I imagine they will load already made scars judging on the place you bit it? But what if you bit it in the same place again and again? Would the carcass somehow load that scar, instead of being covered in them?

As your ideas are great and wonderful, the first one seems a bit difficult. I'm no programmer or game maker, but in my eyes it's just a bit far-fetched. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea, but I'm unsure we have the funding. Rather save it for the bigger areas of gameplay, yes? :wink:

So, yeah. I'd also like the pups to look like the adults again, without having to kill them. I mean, what was the point of taking that away? It was fun!
Last edited by darkcanine on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

hkelley
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by hkelley » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:39 pm

Many of these suggestions would be wonderful, if they were actually added to the app. A lot of them are very creative, especially SpecialK42293 and darkcanine's ideas. As stated before, though, they seem quite expensive and slightly unnecessary.

Maybe something that could be added to the game is different body types. Presets, of course. An example would be a tall, yet thickset wolf, or a short and thin wolf. This might be difficult to incorporate, though, so I'm not positive if this is the best idea. It also might be difficult to notice once your wolf is in-game, and might just make the game slower. But what do I know? It might be quite simple, in reality.

SARAH741
Pup
Pup

Post by SARAH741 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:52 pm

The customized howl and weight added to the eye color and scars etc. Would be fasinating!

-VicesAndVirtues-
Pup
Pup

Post by -VicesAndVirtues- » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:05 pm

I think we NEED the eye color. I don't think I'm the only one who's always wanted it. I love darkcanine's ideas were great! I would like to have traits and different howls! :mrgreen:

Captain Rora
Name: Anda, Rora/Roars, Lawrence
Location: The Point of N̨̗̠̲͔͍̘͜o̫̟͍͉͔̲̠ͅ ̢͈͎̝͎͍̳̥R̨̧̜̣̰̣̟͙e̘̗̣͓̝͓̺̹t̨͈̠̯̙̤͚̭ų͎̖̞̦̲̬ͅr̡̙̥̹̩͓̣̣n̖̠̪͚̩̞͈͙

Post by Captain Rora » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:19 pm

*In order of desire

Honestly, I don't think WolfQuest needs too much more added in, though I think a more defined "traits and personalities" for the NPCs (especially your mate) would be rather AWESOME. Perhaps it would affect how they react and tend to the pups. Example: There could be a sort of "stupid" trait among mates, which causes them to unhelpful, or maybe a "protective" trait that causes them to guard the pups more rather than feed them, or etc. (Therefore it would also cause the player to find "the perfect mate" instead of just grabbing the first one they find.) It would also be a lot of fun having to work out what to "say" when encountering dispersals and other NPCs.

It would also be pretty cool to have your mate have proper stats as well, so they could be a better hunter than some, or stronger and therefore better at guarding the pups.

Possibly a better customization for your wolf's build would be nice.Perhaps you could define this into the stats. Maybe you could make your wolf a bit stouter and broader than normal (therefore stronger), or lither and taller (faster or with better stamina).

Eye colour would be nice too, I guess, with the choices of gold, white, grey, light brown, yellow and dark chocolate-brown.

wolfstorm13
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by wolfstorm13 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:13 pm

I think being able to put distinctive marks on the wolf like spots and scars would make your wolf stand out from the other wolfs. I think we should also be able to customize our mate ( like after we pick him/her out we can customize the mate) and pups if possible. Having the pups all brown or one white is hard to tell which is which and its kind of boring in my opinion. On the cover of the game all four pups are different colors and in the game you would get one white or all brown pups. When the pups are born we could be able to pick out the colors of its fur,eyes, and markings, like we can with our wolf character. I agree with different actions, sounds ( howling, barking, whining, etc.) and traits that your wolf family would make that other people have came up with. I was also thinking that we could add cropped tails, by that I mean a half tail or a full ripped off tail. Sometimes ( I'm not sure if this happened to a wolf) a animal can loose its tail in a fight or in a trap. I saw this on Big Cat Diary, when a leopard named Halftail lost half of her tail to a human trap and survived without half of her tail for the rest of her life as if she hasn't lost it at all.

Anariel
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Anariel » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:34 pm

It would be nice if you could change the shape of the eyes, face, and, you can do age, to create a young, Mature and old. And build a lean, muscular, fragile, massive. Though not by clicking on the buttons thin, muscular, etc. you can make your own, you can "mix" physique.
It would also be nice to do so that you can distinguish the female from male, for example, the female looks a bit more fragile than the male.
Well, I think you helped :D

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:37 pm

wolfstorm13 wrote:I think being able to put distinctive marks on the wolf like spots and scars would make your wolf stand out from the other wolfs. I think we should also be able to customize our mate ( like after we pick him/her out we can customize the mate) and pups if possible. Having the pups all brown or one white is hard to tell which is which and its kind of boring in my opinion. On the cover of the game all four pups are different colors and in the game you would get one white or all brown pups. When the pups are born we could be able to pick out the colors of its fur,eyes, and markings, like we can with our wolf character. I agree with different actions, sounds ( howling, barking, whining, etc.) and traits that your wolf family would make that other people have came up with. I was also thinking that we could add cropped tails, by that I mean a half tail or a full ripped off tail. Sometimes ( I'm not sure if this happened to a wolf) a animal can loose its tail in a fight or in a trap. I saw this on Big Cat Diary, when a leopard named Halftail lost half of her tail to a human trap and survived without half of her tail for the rest of her life as if she hasn't lost it at all.
Considering the pups have blue eyes and very dull pelt colors when they are born (and subsequently weeks afterwards until they age and lose their blue eye coloration and later on achieve their adult coloration, etc.), I don't see that as necessary as an initial, immediate type of option.

Also, would you like me to compile a list for all of these suggestions? I think that would help everyone keep track of everything.

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:36 pm

Thanks for the offer, Koa, but as cool as these ideas are, most of them go quite a ways beyond what's feasible, both in terms of budget and ecological accuracy. I'm hoping to add some types of customization, though no promises (now we're having trouble even with simple things like scars and eye colors, due to the very limited memory on iPad 2).
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

calxmity
WQ Report Team Retiree
WQ Report Team Retiree

Post by calxmity » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:01 pm

This may be far fetched, but what about a very rare option of how one of your pups can be born with pale green eyes? I understand that they are very rare, so if this was (very slim chance..) considered, add a pop up that states something similar to: "Congratulations! Your pup [insert name here] has been born with the very rare blue/green eye color! [information about green eyes here] The other pup's eyes will eventually turn into a gold/yellow/brown color." However this may be quite a lot for an iPad. Thanks for reading ~

angtino
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by angtino » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:36 pm

What about, during MP, one could be able to select one other player's names and ask them to battle, private chat, ect.? And I would LOVE the idea of selecting a radio color! Also, what about the ability to drink water, or possibly fish from the river? Also, (not to be rude in any kind of way) is it possible on the mobile version to make the wolf's physique slightly less box-ish? :oops: Also, (I've heard this idea before) just for something extra in MP, one could choose from a color wheel the color of their scent and it would fade over time... and maybe this could be worked into single player as well?

Another idea is having the computer-generated wolves in single player walk around instead of stand there. And, in other wolf territories, there could be more than one wolf visible, but the Alpha only fights you? I know I'm asking a lot, but I thought it would be good to get my ideas out there just in case! :wink:

Lunawolf1818
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Lunawolf1818 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:48 pm

Tonbei wrote:
  • I like tattered's angle. I would be delighted to see the wolf's physique change as you move the stat bars, such that more than just the wolf's overall scaled size changes when speed, strength, and stamina are adjusted. Although I admit these changes would probably be hard to see on the models once in game.

Another idea is to see the wolf's fur coat moult off in the summer, and be thicker in the wintertime. Maybe subtle texture changes to indicate that?

Scars might be hard to see. I am okay with eye color changes so long as blue is not an option for adult wolves :lol: !
What if a lot of other people WANT blue for their eye color in an adult version of the wolve? Thats not fair for them! Besides, YOU dont have to choose blue for a color, think about other people here to, not just yourself.
  • Edit
dragonflash980 wrote:Would it be possible to set a time bar between night and day, as well as have your wolf age in the game? Like you could begin as a pup and go through the complete life of a wolf?
That's a cool idea!! I would oove that. Get to know your parents. XD
Last edited by Neamara on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added information from double post. In the future, please edit your previous post to add any additional information. Thank you!

Return to “News and Announcements Archive”