What can I do?

Topics contained within this archive have been archived from General Other Topic Discussion, Science & Technology and Sports, Adventure & Travel among others.
WQ Project Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

What can I do?

Post by WQ Project Coordinator » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:51 am

I have gotten a couple of e-mails asking me what individuals can do about the situation that wolves are in. In response to that, I have been coming up with a pretty generic list of things any one can do to help wolves and wildlife in general.

1. Learn as much as you can about the situation. It is important to learn the facts. Do a little research. Read about all sides of the story. We can learn much from those we don't agree with.
2. Talk to people about what you are passionate about in a respectful knowledgeable manner. If you have learned an interesting fact about wolves, bring it up with your friends or family. Talking about it makes others aware.
3. You might choose to find an organization to support. Make sure that you read up on the organization first. Make sure you agree with what they are saying and doing. I am not going to list any organizations here because each individual needs to do the research and determine which organizations they can stand behind.
4. Do things to limit your impact on the environment. Even if you don't live in an area where wolves live, do the things that protect the environment. Recycle, reduce your waste, walk if you can, turn off the lights when you leave a room. Even the little things. One of the nice things about doing these things is that if someone asks you why, you could explain that you are passionate about protecting wolves and every little bit helps.
5. Volunteer. There may not be wolves or a wolf sanctuary near by that you could volunteer at, but find other places to volunteer. Maybe there is a park clean up in your neighborhood you could help at or a nature center.
6. Include a tag phrase in your signature for other forums and e-mails that makes people want to ask you more about it.
7. Make a web site that educates people about wolves and makes people aware.

Here are a couple of web sites I recently ran across that discuss teen activism. I have not looked thoroughly through them, but they seem like nice sites.
www.dosomething.org
www.youthnoise.com
www.idealist.org
www.genv.net

Again, please learn about the whole situation before being too much of an activist. You want to get your facts straight and be credible.

A few sites with information regarding wolf management and de-listing:
CLBaileyi wrote:With all of the conversation going on in the forum about wolf de-listing, all of the confusion and questions about "what does it mean and what is the state or tribe REALLY going to do to manage wolves" and other things, I thought I would share the following websites, from the states themselves, and let you decide an opinion on the facts.

I know it is alot of information to try and read, but I hope it helps clear up the role of the states and tribes regarding wolf management and how it may impact re-listing by USFWS if the population falls below the recovery goal level.

Here goes:

http://www.westyellowstonenews.com/arti ... olumn3.txt

Montana-http://fwp.mt.gov/content/getItem.aspx?id=32632

http://fwp.mt.gov/wildthings/wolf/delistFAQ.html
http://fwp.mt.gov/wildthings/wolf/management.html

Idaho- http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/cms/wildli ... gePlan.pdf
http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/cms/wildli ... naging.cfm

Wyoming - http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/wol ... -28-08.pdf
http://gf.state.wy.us/services/educatio ... /index.asp

I think it is also important to remind people of the de-listing article by IWC on their website as well. The WQ team is striving to provide information to everyone-not to stop discussions or allow you the ability to share your opinion. It is one of the reasons we feel the forum is so exciting and so successful.

I hope you continue to share your opinion-disagree or agree with the statements-I won't take it personal.
Last edited by Koa on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: adding CLBaileyi's post.

fangwolf
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Re: What can I do?

Post by fangwolf » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:33 am

I found a website

http://www.wolfsanctuary.net/

Thay rescue wolfs and wolf dogs and you can read about them :D
this color is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

My real true love is Emmett Cullen

"Johnny’s in space, The Rev’s in jail, Synyster’s in Germany, Shadow’s knocks down the walls, and I cure cancer then forget how I did it." -Zacky Vengeance

king1-7
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by king1-7 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:02 pm

Thanks for sharing that, Michelle. I think it's a good, thorough list, and that if we (WolfQuest users) begin following or continue to follow it, we can really make a difference. :mrgreen:
Rest in peace, sisters Lakota and Mackenzie

Avvie by me

Wolfie10
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Wolfie10 » Thu May 01, 2008 11:12 am

DITTO and, what if people say your lying, and when i find a really cute pic of a wolf, they say. "It would be cute if it dind't rip apart my limbs" How can we inform people the TRUTH, when there like that?
“There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle.” Albert Einstein

WQ Project Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Project Coordinator » Thu May 01, 2008 11:39 am

Wolfie10 wrote:DITTO and, what if people say your lying, and when i find a really cute pic of a wolf, they say. "It would be cute if it dind't rip apart my limbs" How can we inform people the TRUTH, when there like that?
Well, that is where really educating yourself can be helpful. You could respond with the fact that there are very few recorded events of wolves attacking humans. Some people of course will argue for argument's sake, those ones you just have to walk away from. If people aren't open to a real discussion, there isn't much you can do.

Wolfie10
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Wolfie10 » Thu May 01, 2008 11:50 am

Well yes, that is right, i supose, its jsut anoying alot of the time.
Anyway, thanks for your advice Michele.
“There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle.” Albert Einstein

wolves_forever
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by wolves_forever » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:18 am

fangwolf, thats cool that you found out about W.O.L.F thats the sanctuary I help out with, and I know the wolves up there. I have some videos on youtube of them. http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Horsesandwolves
My avatar is my sponsor wolf Siggi, and his friend Tunyan. http://www.wolfsanctuary.net/

If I had a wolf sanctuary this is what it would be called

H.O.W.L

Help
Our
wolves
Live

I will always love wolves, Forever

Michela
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Michela » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:34 am

Thanks for the advice.
I do agree that at times it is very hard to convince people to be pro wolf because all they think of is the cons- Oh there wild or they kill people, if there so great why do so many people hate them.<- these are some of the many things people have told me.
I have tried to convince many people useing what I know about wolves, but many times people refuse to understand, and say I'm not supporting something that can kill me, or the things I said above. One thing is for sure I will never stop trying to support wolves.
Help Our Wolves Live

sprintingfox08
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by sprintingfox08 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:54 am

Michela wrote:Thanks for the advice.
I do agree that at times it is very hard to convince people to be pro wolf because all they think of is the cons- Oh there wild or they kill people, if there so great why do so many people hate them.<- these are some of the many things people have told me.
I have tried to convince many people useing what I know about wolves, but many times people refuse to understand, and say I'm not supporting something that can kill me, or the things I said above. One thing is for sure I will never stop trying to support wolves.
Yes that is true, my mom still thinks they are ferocious animals. I don't quite think that. Wolves are not ferocious, although they can be agressive. And that's only because they need to be at some times in their lives. And i'm continuing to learn more about wolves and hopefully sponser one this or next summer.
"I've got this sentimental heart that beats
but I don't really mind that it's starting to get to me"

WildKid81
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by WildKid81 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:03 pm

WQ Project Coordinator wrote:6. Include a tag phrase in your signature for other forums and e-mails that makes people want to ask you more about it.
my email signature is wolf in Tamil. :mrgreen: not that anyone would understand it...

tasmanian_tiger

Post by tasmanian_tiger » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:23 pm

my grandmother was reading the newspaper today and the article said that a judge had made a law that banned ppl from killing wolves. right now that law is just temporary, but i really really hope it stays this way.

KindWind
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?! Well, I'm not telling!! HA!!!!

Post by KindWind » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:28 pm

i agree 100% with you! there is no need for temporary laws for important suff such as this!
*Avvie~Redsky*

It was here in the past,
It is here in the present,
But they way we're treating it,

Will it be here in the future?
Save planet Earth.

tasmanian_tiger

Post by tasmanian_tiger » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:33 pm

i know. ppl shouldn't be allowed to make temporary laws like that... it's so not fair to the wolves.

Blazing.Star
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Blazing.Star » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:53 am

im definatly going to look into some of those websites, i live a long way from any wolves, but i think they are amazing creatures and i want to help there well being
Stray~Loner~Mysterious, Complicated.
---> Strays back, guys. <---

"Crying on the inside, smiling on the outisde!.. Dying on the inside, laughing on the outside!!"

\m/^-^\m/ ROCK ON!

Forget Princess .. I wanna be a Werewolf!

Mstar101
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Mstar101 » Mon May 18, 2009 8:31 pm

tasmanian_tiger wrote:my grandmother was reading the newspaper today and the article said that a judge had made a law that banned ppl from killing wolves. right now that law is just temporary, but i really really hope it stays this way.
Thats awesome!
Tell me if it does stay that way!
I would love that.....
"The gaze of the wolf reaches into our soul."
"Now the hungry lion roars,
And the wolf behowls the moon."
How lonely is the night without the howl of a wolf."

Avatar by Hoover. Thanks Hoover!