Green Paws II | M = 18

Topics contained within this archive have been archived from General Other Topic Discussion, Science & Technology and Sports, Adventure & Travel among others.
Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Green Paws II | M = 18

Post by Sambhur » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:16 pm

Green Paws II
Welcome to our team! Our team's goal is to make people more conscious about the environment and nature, what is happening around them and how they can help solve environmental and nature related problems around their community.
Green Paws was originally formed and created by Sintact, and I give him credit for the idea, any similar things on this topic, and any success his previous topic had made. Green Paws II was started by Zethra, and he has credit for re-starting this topic, which is now being handled by Jewelz.
If you would like to advertise Green Paws, please link to the topic in your signature, or wear this avatar made by Keyyva: http://imgon.net/di-V6SC.gif
Joining
  • If you want to join the team it is really simple, just post here saying that you wish to join and what you would like to join as(make sure that whatever the ranking would be is open before suggesting). There is no limit to join us, and no limit to the amount of people!
Rules and Guidelines
  • When seeing a new article, try to post reasonable and appropriate comments and try to make a bit of a commitment. Instead of posting things such as, "That’s terrible! What am I suppose to do?"
  • Don't post anything that could be considered being against people/humans.
Ranks and their Meanings
  • Coordinator – People in charge of the organization. They keep track of most of the happenings on the topic. This position is not currently open for applicants, but may be in the future.
    Researcher – People who research global environmental issues and happenings to discuss.
    Commentator – Those who comment on the issues that are discussed, such as any helpful tips to help with the type of issue.
    Journalist - Those who research up information from either articles posted on the topic, or finding their own topic and take pictures to make their own news article on a specific situation. Articles will be posted on the topic, or on the website.
    Remember: anyone can make comments on articles and issues! You don't have to be a commentator to do this. As well, if you find something worth posting and have a job such as a commentator, please feel free to post the thing anyway.
Team Members
  • Jewelz (Lead Coordinator) | Points: ∞
  • Alpha Female (Coordinator) | Points: 0
  • BlackWarrior (Coordinator) | Points: 0
  • JayMist (Coordinator) | Points: 10
  • sparky_wolf (Researcher) | Points: 0
  • BlackScorpion (Researcher) | Points: 0
  • CocoaMoon (Researcher) | Points: 20
  • Starz10 (Researcher) | Points: 0
  • wolfbeat (Researcher) | Points: 0
  • Unlucky 13 (Journalist) | Points: 0
  • Lit (Commentator) | Points: 0
  • Evesske (Commentator) | Points: 0
  • Keyyva (Commentator) | Points: 30
  • Tapir (Commentator) | Points: 0
  • rootleg (Commentator) | Points: 0
  • Skydust (Commentator) | Points: 0
  • Oziku (Commentator) | Points: 0
  • Turtle Nerd (Commentator) | Points: 0

The Point System
  • Here at Green Paws, points are now being rewarded for participation and activity! There are a few ways to earn points, and once one has enough points, it is possible for them to trade in their points for a reward. Some of the ways to earn points include, but are not limited to: posting articles, commenting on articles and important issues, and helping out.
  • The Point Shop
    This is where you can find the information for trading in your points for rewards or prizes. If you would like to trade your points for something, please send a private message to Jewelz stating what you would like to have. The rewards available are listed below, along with their prices:
    • 100x100 avatar by Jewelz | 80 points
    • 100x100 Avatar by JayMist | 45 points
    • Customized Signature by JayMist | 40 points
    • Reference by JayMist | 75 points
    • 100x100 Photo Manipulation Avatar by JayMist | 25 points
    • 50x50 Animated Avatar (Animal of choice) by Lit | 40 points
    • 100x100 Animated Avatar (Animal of Choice) by Lit | 60 points
    • Fancy signature with fonts, gradients, and symbols by Lit | 50 points.
    • If you would like to offer a prize here, please PM Jewelz!

Events
  • Aside from the all-so-serious stuff, there are also fun little events(activities and contests) that we will have. Although, these will not start until we get a balanced amount of members.

Activities: These will also consist of contests, but our main activity will be to manage newsletters on environmental and natural happenings, and finding out information and ideas on how you can help with things around your own home.

Current contest:
    None. Please feel free to suggest one!
Last edited by Sambhur on Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:50 am, edited 28 times in total.

Croix
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Green Paws II

Post by Croix » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:48 pm

Cool idea Domino! I may join~ ^^
It's sad how bad the enviroment can be in some places, yesterday when I went fishing, there was a recent storms so the river I was at flooded, as a result things were washed up on shore that normally wouldn't be there.... Most of it was trash! Water bottles, chip bags, plastic bags, I tripped over a tire (don't really know how that got there since it was in the middle of a clearing but still by the river), and it made me angry to see that animals were living besides this.
Is it really that difficult to recycle or throw something away?

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:10 am

Thanks. ^^ Sounds great!
I believe that people are aware of what is going on around with the environment and nature, however more-so don't really know how exactly to help out with it. Which is the main reason of this, for those who are not aware and for those who are aware to know how to help out, even small steps count.

Well, there are a few times were the wind blows heavily and there is a lot of rain - where then it carries the trash and recycling over to areas like that.
............'..........Avatar by Zethra

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:35 am

Ohh, I'd love to join, it's great to see that this has been revived. If you don't mind, I'd like to join as Commentator.

Trash annoys me a huge lot, when my friends mess about outside and drop paper or something, I'm usually the one to pick it up and throw it away. I also hate it when there is like, empty bags or cigarette packages in our garden while it's not our trash. :V

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:41 am

I have just added you up! Welcome to the team. :3
Yep, considering it was such a success last time.

Yes, I tend to pick up anything (that I don't find overly disgusting) on the ground and put it in the trash myself, I don't like litter and such. Honestly, for myself I can't put it in the garbage I will atleast ask another person to do it for me. Not to hard. :D And, with my friends at school I tend to try and pick up any garbage left in the hall and put it in the garbage for them. Though they're pretty good and do it themselves most of the time.

-Sheeba
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Post by -Sheeba » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:40 pm

I'm glad to see this topic back and running, it seemed to be quite successful before, hopefully it will be the same this time :) I would love to take part in it, could I also be a Commentator?
This account is no longer active.

New account: Sheeba Wolf

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:01 pm

Sure thing, I've added you up Sheeba. ^^ Yes, I saw that the previous topic was pretty successful. I hope that this one will become just as successful aswell. :3

-Sheeba
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Post by -Sheeba » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:06 pm

As long as the people a part of here stays active, I'm sure it will ^_^

On the garbage issue, I personally have a big problem with it. In my town, there aren't any public garbage bins or anywhere to dispose of garbage while walking (there also aren't any sidewalks), so people tend to just throw their garbage on the ground or in ditches on the side of the road rather than to fool around with finding somewhere to throw it out. If I'm walking out with friends and buy a bag of chips and whatnot, I'll either pocket the empty bag or carry it into a nearby store to throw it away. I also encourage my friends to do the same.

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:40 am

Wow, no public trash bins? Maybe you could start a petition or something? We have quite a lot of trash cans outside on most spots over here.

As for pocketing trash, I always do that when I can't trash anything. It's a good solution. Also, when I go on walks or something and don't expect to encounter trash cans, I bring a plastic bag to dispose everything in.

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:38 pm

There aren't any trash bins? Oh my, I've got to agree with Silver on that. We have a few trash bins around public areas, so that people don't litter the area(doesn't mean they still don't do that). Though what I usually do is pocket trash that I have, and wait until I get home before putting it into the garbage or recycling. In fact, where I live we even started a 'compost' recycling program. Everyone in our town has a smallish bin from the city specifically for food garbage, and then we have recycling. But the recycling person is VERY and I mean VERY picky with what is in the bins. =/

-Sheeba
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Post by -Sheeba » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:41 pm

Nope, none at all. Not even by the local take-out we have. Starting a petition definitely sounds like a good idea, and perhaps I'll bring the situation up with the Town Council themselves. I think it would help with the litter issue for sure, since people would then actually have somewhere to throw their trash out when going for walks.

Writers Block
Name: Mika, Lynx

Post by Writers Block » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:38 am

Wow, this sounds like a great idea, I may join^^
My sister is a total environmentalist, she always watches these documentaries about people polluting the earth and global warming and stuff. My friend's and I have decided that if robots don't take over by 2012, then pollution will get so bad we'll all die anyways.
No trash cans? Wow. We have only a few, but most of the clerks in stores are more than happy to let you throw something out in one of their trash bins (like the ones they keep under their desks for receipts and stuff).
we are not history yet.
we are happening now.
how miraculous is that?
avvie©mute
quote©wtnv

Thandi
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Thandi » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:09 pm

Nice idea Sintact! (And Alpha Female)

I would love to join this organization because I do believe that we could do a little better in cleaning up our planet. Unfotuneatly, I'm not sure if I have the time to do this, but I do support you all the way. Hopefully you'll make a change, a big one, that is.

Maybe I'll join later, but Good Luck!
everything out of the ordinary is considered weird, i try to stay clear of the eathlings and their fears

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:01 am

Oooh, it's great to see that this is back ~ It was a shame when the previous one closed, though it's good of you to have brought it back, Zethra!

Mind if I join ^^? I'll be a Researcher, if thats alright.

@Sheeba: No public bins? Really? Wow, thats terrible, I can understand why your area if probably having rubbish issues then, if there's no where for people to dispose of their waste. We have quite a few bins set around the whole of our area, so we don't particuarly get that much. I agree with Silverness, you should definitely start a petition or discuss it personally with your Town Council.

For pocketing rubbish, I also do that, particuarly in school. Even though we have quite a few bins there, people just throw their rubbish on the floor because they can't really be bothered walking over to the bin, which is quite saddening, to say the least. Also, because of all of the rubbish, we get so many Seagulls here trying to aquire some of the food, it can be fairly annoying.
« A PRIVATE LIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE.»
•••
Icon (c) coyoteflu

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:49 am

Thank you for the support Thandi and Mikazuki-Lynx!
(I'm Zethra btw)
SilverHybrid wrote:Oooh, it's great to see that this is back ~ It was a shame when the previous one closed, though it's good of you to have brought it back, Zethra!

Mind if I join ^^? I'll be a Researcher, if thats alright.

@Sheeba: No public bins? Really? Wow, thats terrible, I can understand why your area if probably having rubbish issues then, if there's no where for people to dispose of their waste. We have quite a few bins set around the whole of our area, so we don't particuarly get that much. I agree with Silverness, you should definitely start a petition or discuss it personally with your Town Council.

For pocketing rubbish, I also do that, particuarly in school. Even though we have quite a few bins there, people just throw their rubbish on the floor because they can't really be bothered walking over to the bin, which is quite saddening, to say the least. Also, because of all of the rubbish, we get so many Seagulls here trying to aquire some of the food, it can be fairly annoying.
Sure thing! I've added you up now. :3

I do that too, or if there is one nearby put it in the garbage can. If I can't get to it by the end of class or before class starts, I will pocket it and put it in the nearest garbage can I can find when I get to class.
School's have a large population of seagulls usually, I know that we have them flying around near the summer/spring and fall seasons. It's mainly due to the amount of trash found in the schoolyards, though it's good to see that some people pick up the trash and such - but littering doesn't help much at all.