Green Paws II | M = 18

Topics contained within this archive have been archived from General Other Topic Discussion, Science & Technology and Sports, Adventure & Travel among others.
1BitJay
Name: Jay

Re: Green Paws II | M = 12

Post by 1BitJay » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:01 pm

Here is mine :)
I ᗯOᑌᒪᗪ ᔕᗩY TᕼᗩT ᗰᑌᔕIᑕ Iᔕ TᕼE EᗩᔕIEᔕT ᗰEᗩᑎᔕ
Iᑎ ᗯᕼIᑕᕼ TO E᙭ᑭᖇEᔕᔕ, ᗷᑌT ᔕIᑎᑕE ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ ᗩᖇE ᗰY
TᗩᒪEᑎT,
I ᗰᑌᔕT TᖇY TO E᙭ᑭᖇEᔕᔕ ᑕᒪᑌᗰᔕIᒪY Iᑎ
ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ
ᗯᕼᗩT TᕼE ᑭᑌᖇE ᗰᑌᔕIᑕ ᗯOᑌᒪᗪ ᕼᗩᐯE ᗪOᑎE ᗷETTEᖇ.

αν;; i forgot </3 ѕιg;; мє
1BitJay

Keyyva
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Keyyva » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:11 pm

Whoa, what program did you use for that? The brush strokes look really cool!
And good choice of colour! :D
Character © Keyyva
Avatar © Vexi - http://vexiwolf.deviantart.com [Used with permission]

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:55 am

Oh! Congratulations to all three of you! ^^ Great avatars you guys!
Creative ways to show the program. ~
I love the way you have the transitions throughout your's Keyyva! Looks lovely! ;)
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

1BitJay
Name: Jay

Post by 1BitJay » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:40 am

Keyyva wrote:Whoa, what program did you use for that? The brush strokes look really cool!
Actually, I used an iPod app called Art Studio.
I ᗯOᑌᒪᗪ ᔕᗩY TᕼᗩT ᗰᑌᔕIᑕ Iᔕ TᕼE EᗩᔕIEᔕT ᗰEᗩᑎᔕ
Iᑎ ᗯᕼIᑕᕼ TO E᙭ᑭᖇEᔕᔕ, ᗷᑌT ᔕIᑎᑕE ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ ᗩᖇE ᗰY
TᗩᒪEᑎT,
I ᗰᑌᔕT TᖇY TO E᙭ᑭᖇEᔕᔕ ᑕᒪᑌᗰᔕIᒪY Iᑎ
ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ
ᗯᕼᗩT TᕼE ᑭᑌᖇE ᗰᑌᔕIᑕ ᗯOᑌᒪᗪ ᕼᗩᐯE ᗪOᑎE ᗷETTEᖇ.

αν;; i forgot </3 ѕιg;; мє
1BitJay

Keyyva
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Keyyva » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:48 am

BlackWarrior wrote:Oh! Congratulations to all three of you! ^^ Great avatars you guys!
Creative ways to show the program. ~
I love the way you have the transitions throughout your's Keyyva! Looks lovely! ;)
Thank you, I used Gimp. It took a while to get the transitions right but it obviously worked. :mrgreen:

JayMist wrote:
Keyyva wrote:Whoa, what program did you use for that? The brush strokes look really cool!
Actually, I used an iPod app called Art Studio.
Cool, i'm going to look it up, thanks :D
Character © Keyyva
Avatar © Vexi - http://vexiwolf.deviantart.com [Used with permission]

Wonderland Summer
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Wonderland Summer » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:24 am

Here's mine-

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y42 ... /GP2-1.jpg

Sorry I haven't been that active lately. But I'll try to stay active.

I found this about REd Wolves (Canis Rufus)
The Conservation Problem
Conservationists today are doomed to struggle against an advancing tide of habitat destruction, human population growth, and persecution and exploitation of plant and animal species worldwide. They must face the unpleasant responsibility of prioritizing and allocating effort, in the certain knowledge that there are insufficient resources available to save and protect all of nature's diversity. That a triage-like system for prioritizing species' conservation is necessary is evidenced by one important failure of the Endangered Species Act (ESA) in the USA. Although nearly 1000 species are listed under the Act, only a few percent of them have received Federal support for research and conservation. The criteria for prioritizing species are multifarious, but one of considerable importance is the genetic uniqueness of candidates for conservation. The giant panda (Ailuropoda melanoleuca), for example, is the only surviving representative of a distinct subfamily of bears, and would thus seem to deserve the disproportionate attention and effort currently dedicated to its continued survival.

The genetic criterion is, however, only as reliable as the data available concerning the genetic uniqueness or value of an organism. Where the issue is unresolved conservation efforts may encounter problems of selection and justification of allocation of resources. A prime example of such a situation is the case of the North American red wolf, Canis rufus.

The Red Wolf Problem
The red wolf was once fairly widespread in the southeastern USA, but predator control programmes and the conversion of mature woodland habitat to agriculture resulted in a reduction in both range and population size. By the 1970s the species had dwindled to a single population in eastern Texas, and this population was threatened by interbreeding with the red wolfµs close relative, the coyote (Canis latrans). The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) initiated a last minute recovery plan to save the species from extinction. Fourteen animals, thought to be pure red wolves, were selected from a much larger sample of canids captured in east Texas and used to establish a captive breeding programme (Phillips & Parker, 1988).

The captive breeding and subsequent reintroductions to the wild have been successful beyond expectation, and can justifiably be viewed as a model for rescuing highly endangered species from the brink of extinction. Nevertheless, such success is not without price: the USFWS has a five year budget of around $4.5 million to cover field studies and captive breeding facilities. Does the genetic uniqueness of the red wolf warrant this level of resources? Since the recovery programme began the taxonomic status of the red wolf has been investigated using both morphological and genetic methods, giving rise to contradictory results. Due to the economic and political importance of the red wolf project, these contradictions have resulted in considerable controversy. I present here a summary of the findings of genetic research.

Why Examine the Genes?
Efforts to use morphological criteria as a basis to classify the red wolf as a distinct species are problematic. Multivariate analysis of morphological measurements, such as done by Nowak (1979), express the overall similarity in cranial and dental form of red wolves to other canids. Indeed, his data indicate red wolves are distinct and intermediate in form between grey wolves (Canis lupus) and coyotes. Although acknowledging hybrid origin for the red wolf as a possibility, Nowak suggests that "the most reasonable explanation is that C.rufus represents a primitive line of wolves that has undergone less change than C.lupus, and has retained more characters found in the ancestral stock from which both wolves and coyotes arose".

The quantitative distinction of the red wolf has been used by Nowak to argue for separate species status. The use of quantitative differences alone to define a species is controversial (see O'Brien & Mayr, 1991; McKitrick & Zink, 1988; Avise & Ball, 1990; Mallet, 1995). For the red wolf, however, the phenotypic argument may be circular because hybrids between grey wolves and coyotes are expected to be intermediate in morphology. The phenotype of the red wolf may thus reflect either recent hybridization between grey wolves and coyotes in the southeast USA or, as Nowak suggests, an ancient origin and long distinct evolutionary heritage.

In fact, Nowak's multivariate morphological position of supposed grey wolf-coyote hybrids overlaps with the position of red wolves (Fig.1). Because of the possibility of a hybrid origin for the red wolf, discrete character state differences uniquely shared by red wolves, such as the shared presence of a specialized cusp or cranial foramen are needed to define them as a separate taxon. Molecular data provide such discrete character data, whose analysis using cladistic principles is consistent with modern systematic thinking. (Jenks & Wayne, 1992; Wayne, 1992). If the red wolf is a long distinct species, it should have unique genetic attributes, just as coyotes and grey wolves do today. The evolutionary heritage of the red wolf should be recorded in genes just a faithfully as it is in fossils. In reality, the fragmentary fossil remains of wolf-like canids and the conservative nature of canid dentition makes the interpretation of the sparse fossil record difficult.

Source: Candids.com
¨¨
|¨ Wonderland Summer ¨|
It's all fun and games
till somebody loses their
|..╚═ MIND ═╝..|
¨¨
Signature - Raven
Lyrics- Taylor Swift's Wonderland

Starz10

Post by Starz10 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:26 am

Hi! Im interested in joining as a researcher. I would love to be a part of this program :)
Starz10
▬▬▬▬

"And her eyes were as bright as a million stars, gazing at the azure skies afar"

WolfQuest Community Member Since 2012

Call me Stardust or Star

▬▬▬▬

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Sambhur » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:38 am

Welcome to the team, Starz10!

Starz10

Re: Green Paws II | M = 14

Post by Starz10 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:44 am

Thank you for accepting me :)
Starz10
▬▬▬▬

"And her eyes were as bright as a million stars, gazing at the azure skies afar"

Call me Stardust or Star

▬▬▬▬

rootleg
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by rootleg » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:09 pm

Welcome to the team Starz10! Glad to have ya!
.....................................................................don't go too far
.............................................................................................stay who you are
----------
Serenity River Pack
www.serenityriverpack.com/forum

Starz10

Post by Starz10 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:32 pm

Thank you rootleg and nice article Cocoa!
Starz10
▬▬▬▬

Call me Stardust or Star

▬▬▬▬

SpiritOfTruth
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by SpiritOfTruth » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:44 pm

Welcome to Green Paws Starz! Nice story there Cocoa
ѕινєя ωιєяηєѕѕ ρα
~Okami~ α σуα ~Accalia~
нσρє ιѕ α ωαкιηg яєαм
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70592

Starz10

Post by Starz10 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:51 am

Thanks Spirit! Glad to be on board :)
Starz10
▬▬▬▬

Call me Stardust or Star

▬▬▬▬

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:46 pm

Ooo! Welcome to the program Starz! ^^ Good to have you on board! ;)

Your avatar looks great Cocoa! Nice work! As for your article.. it's very interesting. Gives great insight on red wolves. ^^'
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

calxmity
WQ Report Team Retiree
WQ Report Team Retiree

Post by calxmity » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:58 pm

Ahh.... I've been inactive. Sorry! I'll be sure to stop in again. =D (and pick up.. LOL)
green - cavetown