Canis Dirus

Topics contained within this archive have been archived from General Other Topic Discussion, Science & Technology and Sports, Adventure & Travel among others.
pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Canis Dirus

Post by pawnee » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:28 pm

Canis Dirus is the dire wolf. It was bigger than the grey wolf and had a broader head, and I think shorter legs. I don`t think it traveled in packs like the grey wolf did, but....http://www.naturalworlds.org/wolf/histo ... _dirus.htm

there was something On National Geographic (America) about the dire wolf on a while ago.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

maccork95
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Location: Being the first human to ever take a step on Uranus.

Re: Canis Dirus

Post by maccork95 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:10 pm

Oh I was whatching something about that on discovery channel......or maybe it was animal planet, but anyway they said that were in packs of like three or four or more i don't really remember but they lived at the time of sabre toothed tigers. I think they are really cool yet the gray wolf is the one that survived.
I support the Alliance

Kaheaniehal
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Kaheaniehal » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:14 pm

From my knowledge I know a few of the dinstinct differences between Canis Dirus and Canis Lupus.

The dire wolf is much heavier, but also shorter. It's well built a muscular with a slightly larger head and massive jaws. Being how it's cranium is similar to a hyena, many scientists think that Dires were actually scavengers, not hunters. This actually makes a lot of sense, for with their bulky anatomy they were probably too slow to catch more common prey.
That's one reason why scientists think they went extinct. The prey dires fed on must have died out during the ice age, and so they couldn't feed off anything. While the grey wolves on the other hand were fast enough to catch what was left.
I support the Alliance

~ My heart is your heart ~

http://kaheaniehal.deviantart.com/

Chenneoue
Pup
Pup

Post by Chenneoue » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:36 am

Has anyone figured out what type of coat or look they have? I have seen images/drawings of them depicted from anything like our Grey Wolf to something that looks more like a pitbull. I know its probably hard to figure it out, just curious if there is any good information on their appearance (other then they are bulky and stuff already stated). Such as double coat, single coat, long short hair...pointed ears, or folded.

Wolfie10
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Wolfie10 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:39 pm

Chenneoue wrote:Has anyone figured out what type of coat or look they have? I have seen images/drawings of them depicted from anything like our Grey Wolf to something that looks more like a pitbull. I know its probably hard to figure it out, just curious if there is any good information on their appearance (other then they are bulky and stuff already stated). Such as double coat, single coat, long short hair...pointed ears, or folded.

Their Extinct your not going to get a picture unless there was a very clever cave man :lol:
“There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle.” Albert Einstein

Fenris
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Fenris » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:46 pm

The dire wolf much of been a great predator. Bigger then a wolf :shock: thats very big. Like great dane tall. Like this!!

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/EE/images ... antdog.jpg

Chenneoue
Pup
Pup

Post by Chenneoue » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:10 am

Wolfie10 wrote:
Chenneoue wrote:Has anyone figured out what type of coat or look they have? I have seen images/drawings of them depicted from anything like our Grey Wolf to something that looks more like a pitbull. I know its probably hard to figure it out, just curious if there is any good information on their appearance (other then they are bulky and stuff already stated). Such as double coat, single coat, long short hair...pointed ears, or folded.

Their Extinct your not going to get a picture unless there was a very clever cave man :lol:
I realize they are not going to have a photo of an actual Dire Wolf... I was wondering if anyone knows of a credible drawing, sculpture, or otherwise that is believed to look like a dire wold would have.

Like I said, I have seen them look like Pitbulls and oversize wolf (in drawings). And with today's technology, I was hoping they could use that to guess how large the muscles were, skin tissue, length of hear etc. They do with with old human remains to get a facial sculpture... that was what I was looking for.

Guess I will keep searching. :/

Siberian Husky
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Siberian Husky » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:18 am

I once saw something on animal planet about the Dire wolf, but thats a loooooooong time ago... i cant really remember very much of it, but the dire wolf was a little bigger than the grey wolf.
Siberian Husky - シベリアンハスキー

Praise the Sun!

ChocolateRain
Yearling
Yearling

Post by ChocolateRain » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:21 pm

Wolfie10 wrote:

How do you think we know how dinosaurs looked like?
Siberian Husky wrote:I once saw something on animal planet about the Dire wolf, but thats a loooooooong time ago... i cant really remember very much of it, but the dire wolf was a little bigger than the grey wolf.
I saw something similar on National Geographic. Their appearance is just like a wolf's but they have proportionally shorter legs, smaller skull, larger jaws, and are bigger overall.

Chenneoue
Pup
Pup

Post by Chenneoue » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:41 am

ChocolateRain wrote: Their Extinct your not going to get a picture unless there was a very clever cave man :lol:
Siberian Husky wrote:I once saw something on animal planet about the Dire wolf, but thats a loooooooong time ago... i cant really remember very much of it, but the dire wolf was a little bigger than the grey wolf.
I saw something similar on National Geographic. Their appearance is just like a wolf's but they have proportionally shorter legs, smaller skull, larger jaws, and are bigger overall.[/quote]

LOL. No I don't think we KNOW really anything. But it is always fun to guess and see what people come up with. I wouldn't really even trust someone to figure out what something looked like 10 years ago if they just had some bones. But at least we would have other information to pull from(on the 10 year old bones that is).

Wolfie10
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Wolfie10 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:03 pm

Chenneoue wrote:
ChocolateRain wrote: Their Extinct your not going to get a picture unless there was a very clever cave man :lol:
I saw something similar on National Geographic. Their appearance is just like a wolf's but they have proportionally shorter legs, smaller skull, larger jaws, and are bigger overall.
LOL. No I don't think we KNOW really anything. But it is always fun to guess and see what people come up with. I wouldn't really even trust someone to figure out what something looked like 10 years ago if they just had some bones. But at least we would have other information to pull from(on the 10 year old bones that is).[/quote]

Fishy, or wolfy what ever we say here, i guess if any of us are oging to become wolf biologists then we have to know this stuff#!
“There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle.” Albert Einstein