Domestic Canids

Topics contained within this archive have been archived from General Other Topic Discussion, Science & Technology and Sports, Adventure & Travel among others.

Do you have a domestic dog as a pet?

Yes
69%
Not right now, but I have had one before.
13%
No
18%

Total votes: 45

WQ Project Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Domestic Canids

Post by WQ Project Coordinator » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:03 pm

Did you know that in 1993 scientists determined that wolves and domestic dogs are the same species? So the scientific name for the gray wolf is Canis lupus and the scientific name for the domestic dog is Canis lupus familiaris. So basically the domestic dog is a subspecies of the Gray Wolf. Crazy eh?

How many of you have a domestic dog as a pet?

Let me tell you about mine: Her name is Scout. She is five months old. She is a lab mix that we got from a rescue. Someone was trying to sell her and her 10 siblings out of a cardboard box on a street corner on a hot day and someone bought up the remaining two in order to find them good homes. She is brown and looks a bit like a chocolate lab with a slightly different body and head shape.

Express
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Express » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:20 pm

I remember learning that in the 7th grade. Exactly Just how close they are. We went into genes and stuff. We even had a little debate on weather or not a Gray Wolf could be in a Dog show or not.

My Dog's Name is Max. Yeah, common name I know. :P

According to my father We've had him Sense I was 2. As you probably could Guess he's Kinda old,but Old age isn't stopping from acting any different!
He can still move just fine and still barks at every person he sees. :P

According to what I've been told he's a Chihuahua Terrier Mix. He has Black fur. He Legally Belongs to my sister, but I take care of him.

Whitefang2331
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Whitefang2331 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:59 pm

I have a imperial shih-tzu puppy(about 7 months old)
a regular sixed chicken(five years)
I once saw in a book showing the similarity between a maltese and wolf skeleton. Its really neat.

A border collie puppy( about 7 months old)
I think it is very believeble that a dog would be a subspecies of wolf. I can see in my border collie her natural instinct to herd. The herding is actually modified hunting where the wolf does not go in for the kill. They have a tendency to nip to get the sheep to go where they want. Unfortunately a lot of border collies are given up because so many people think its agressive behavior. :cry: I have managed to keep my border collie from nipping me with training but her instinct is kind of low anyway. So yeah I think they seem just as much a subspecies of the gray wolf as any other wolf

O' Brien
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Kyouki

Post by O' Brien » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:40 pm

Nice dogs you guys. I just can't get enough of them!

I have and love my German Shepard dog (1 year old)
He's American Bred, but you've gotta love the pointy ears.

The one thing I hate in this breed is when they breed them for a sloped back. It looks painful and it just doesn't seem right to me; thats why I own a broad backed one and not a sloped.

Maybe I'll put up some pictures of him later n.n
Last edited by O' Brien on Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“A truly brave man is ever serene; he is never taken by surprise; nothing ruffles the equanimity of his spirit. In the heat of battle he remains cool; in the midst of catastrophes he keeps level his mind. Earthquakes do not shake him, he laughs at storms. ”

Bushido: Way of the Warrior Roleplay

Whitefang2331
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Whitefang2331 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:54 pm

I considered a german shepard, Tamaskan (wolf look alike and these are not like huskies or malamutes the LOOK like a real wolf), northern inuit,(wolf look alike sometimes looks like a husky) and wolf hybrid. Im happy with my border collie though!

Black_Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Black_Wolf » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:59 pm

unfortunetly i dont have a puppy!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
WolfQuest!!!!The best online game EVER. WQ4EVER

Emily Mabel
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Emily Mabel » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:40 am

I have lots of doggies and other pets! ;X
Fear makes the wolf bigger than he is.
Think you're up for the challenge? Think again.
Flattery is like friendship. Just like a wolf looks like a dog.

Mooney
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Mooney » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:52 am

Hehe, got a six-year-old purebred boxer named Susie (but she has countless others....Pusie, Susie Bella, Bella, Puss'...)

Anyway, the only reason we got her from the dog breeder/shower was that her ears were docked wrong, so they flop on top of her head. :lol: Anyway, she likes to eat, sleep, and cuddle. And shed...but she's cute, and when we come home, she curls her body into a 'C' like shape and does a little jig of sorts! :D

tikomi
Pup
Pup

Post by tikomi » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:40 pm

I have an idiotic named Turk, he's a German Shepard something. Saved on the streets of Tucson.

I used to have a dog named Daisy. She was a BEAUTIFUL shetland sheepdog/border collie mix. She had a brain tumor. Told she only had a little time left. One night my whole family was watching TV when we heard a yelp behid the coach. She was having a seizure, she lept up and ran away yellping in pain. Her time had come, She was put to sleep.

RIP
Daisy
1997-2007.

I still mourn her. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
The wolf I am.
The wolf you wish to be.
But the wolf I am.

Whitefang2331
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Whitefang2331 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:58 pm

wow. I have a pure bred border collie. What an interesting mix! I used to have a lhasa apso/Chow mix (AKA dust mop) and a Daushund/chow mix.(She looked like a giant daushund with red fur and a black tounge)

tikomi
Pup
Pup

Post by tikomi » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:02 pm

You have a really intresting mix!!
The wolf I am.
The wolf you wish to be.
But the wolf I am.

Whitefang2331
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Domestic Canids

Post by Whitefang2331 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:42 pm

Acctually the we had to get rid of the two mixed ones. : (

tikomi
Pup
Pup

Post by tikomi » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:33 pm

Aww. Can you say why?? Or no.
The wolf I am.
The wolf you wish to be.
But the wolf I am.

Whitefang2331
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Whitefang2331 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:29 am

We were moving.

Nightfire
Pup
Pup

Post by Nightfire » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:58 pm

My dog is... THE AMAZING INVISIBLE DOG!!!!!! of course, she might've run away, we cant really tell...

~Nightfire~